Replace gas heat with electric baseboard heating in Triplex - Philadelphia?

Replace gas heat with electric baseboard heating in Triplex - Philadelphia?

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

I am buying a triplex in the Philly area which is currently supplied with gas heat (for the entire house). The heating unit is very old and would most likely not make it another winter, so I definitely need to replace it sometime this year. Also, the gas heat supplies the entire house and is not split by unit, so I would probably end up paying the entire heating bill (very undesirable for me).

I am considering replacing the current gas heat with electric baseboard heat. Electric is already separate for each unit, so in that case each tenant would be responsible for their own electric heat bill.

The whole house is about 2400sqft, there are two 2-bedroom units and one 1-bedroom unit. I know that electric heat is a bit more expensive than gas heat but considering that each unit is relatively small, the tenants would only need to heat about 2-3 small rooms each.

Do you guys think that this is feasible? From your experience, does electric heat make an apartment much less desirable for future tenants?

Has anyone attempted installing electric baseboard as a do-it-yourself project? I know some wiring is involved and I'm not exactly an electrician. I'd rather save some money though and attempt doing it myself.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Gilbertsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 17 votes
12y

I would replace the gas heater. Electric is very expensive. You might have trouble getting tenants. Maybe just bump the rent up a bit.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Gilbertsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    I would replace the gas heater. Electric is very expensive. You might have trouble getting tenants. Maybe just bump the rent up a bit.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Yes, it will make them harder to rent. The price is not "a bit" more.

    Also, make sure the electric service in the building will support electric heat. That is not a given. Especially if you plan to do this yourself.

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    12y

    I would replace the gas furnace. Your likely also messing with resale value if you add a bunch of electric baseboard units and call it a day. Maybe getting a quote for a 90% efficiency unit if you are paying for utilities or get an 80% unit anyway and put a thermostat lockbox over the thermostat and leave it at minimum of whatever the local code requires for heat during the winter for a rental unit. Better yet, they sell tamper proof digital thermostats which have a max setpoint of 72 degrees for landlord. You'll need to specify this temperature and stipulation in the lease contract so that tenants are not surprised that they are unable to set the thermostat to 90 degrees in the winter for their personal comfort at your cost. That or say that the heating bill will be divided between the 2 units in the contract and added to the rent.. there are other options to consider...

    One example of a thermostat with hard-coded set limits:

    http://amzn.to/1nubqa8

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I have 2 houses with electric baseboard , 1 house is a 1/1 its 400 sq ft , no complaints about the heat or cost , never had to do a repair for the heat . The other house was just changed to electric baseboard , its 800 sq ft . the house was heated by propane , Januarys bill (it was cold) was $ 240.00 all in . Before the previous owner was goin thru 1000 gallons of propane a winter Nov thru March . At $ 4.00 a gallon , and using 200 gallons a month ( $ 800.00 ) in propane alone . The electric baseboard heaters are a good choice . With budget billing spreading the electric bill over 12 months evenly this is very affordable for a tenant .

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Are those houses in Maryland?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    yes they are in Maryland , home of high taxes

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 229 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    @Sophie Mia did you end up installing the baseboard heating?  I am thinking about adding in baseboard heating as well in my 4 unit.  I am thinking about adding in baseboard heating to be a compliment of the furnace heating.  I will set the furnace to 60F and then allow each unit to dial in their desired temperature.  That way, I won't be paying for the entire heating bill and will allow tenants who like the colder better than the heat, they won't be opening their windows in the winter when the heat is too hot.

    I was thinking only install a baseboard heater in the living room, kitchen, and bedroom.  These are 1 bed 1 bath units.

    @Matthew Paul how much did your baseboard installs cost?  Did you have a professional install them?

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    If you want to go electric, get a few ductless systems or portable units that operate in heat pump mode and you will get 2-3x better efficiency.  2 ton ductless systems are about 900 or so on ebay and 1 ton portable units are about 200-300 online.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    @Matthew Paul how much did your baseboard installs cost?  Did you have a professional install them?

     A 2 bedroom cost me about $ 600. 00   I ran everything but a friend who is an electrician pulled the permit and checked the work 

  • Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    Rather than baseboard elec. check into 3 hi eff pvc vented small furnaces even if you have to put them in makeshift small closets or even open in a hallway.  Did that and had plenum on top and no ductwork.  Worked good and never a complaint.  Guess they needed the bedroom doors open but could have cured that too in that set up with a 3 foot duct.

    I have those in small houses now and natural gas bill is 100 bucks at highest in winter with months either side of that at half that.  Brutal cold winter once spiked at about $120.  If they cant afford that they have other problems.  Elec and propane are triple that,,,and then you have to empty tank and moveout problems

  • Developer · Hermitage, PA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Don Meinke

    Can you recall the approximate cost of the furnaces and installation please? I am under contract for a 5-plex that has been converted to baseboard heat and the residents complain that it’s cold. My intent is to renovate and jack up rents, but if the costs continue to go up like this i may just cancel the contract.

  • Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    It was so long ago it does not matter. As in multiple decades.  Best part is you CAN put in C/A and get rid of any high priced window units.  You can buy them all day on E-pay IF you can find a LICENSED guy to put in reasonable.

      Other thing you can check into are mini-splits.  I have never had one but told they are good for carved out units.  

    Whatever the costs you are SOOOOOO much better, long term to have THEM pay it in their name.  Otherwise they will skip and leave you with their bills.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    7y

    @Jeanne Hink Is that gas or electric baseboard you're talking about? There's lots of gas options for those units without making them undesirable with electric heat. Hard to say what's best and most cost effective without knowing the configuration and size of the units. I have a 3U rowhouse with 3 separate boilers in the basement feeding their hot water baseboard heat. I also have 500 ft 1br units heated by their tank hot water heater and baseboard. Even hot water radiant floor can be a good option if you're renovating.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.