Are Solar Panels Worth It?

Are Solar Panels Worth It?

Griffin MalcolmPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Schenectady, NY · Member since 2022 · 88 posts · 82 votes

Hey team, question on solar panels and their impact on resale value. Essentially, is it worth it? I had a consultation with a solar panel salesman today and he quoted me 29k for 18 panels, however the final price would be 13k after New York and Federal tax credits plus a holiday discount. At 13k, I would be paying about $100 each month for electricity. There would be no up-front cost either. They would fix my $100 for the next 18 months as a grace period so I have time to put the tax credit money "back in" the full cost of the panels. If after 18 months I don't do this, then the loan is re-amortized and the monthly payment would increase.

It seems like a good deal, and an easy selling point to a potential buyer - "hey, your energy bill will be $100 each month even in the winter, and then once you've paid off the panels you've got free energy!" but I'm just not sure about the tax credits. Like, I understand it comes off my taxable income, but it's also not like I'm getting a check for 14k that I can throw at the panels. I feel like it's more likely I would just have a lower taxable income, but still have to pay mostly the full 29k, which would make the monthly payment closer to $200. 

For context on the property - it's my house hack I've owned about 1.5 years now and plan is to sell in May of next year once I hit my 2-in-5 rights. I'm strictly concerned with ROI and how it looks to potential buyers. If anyone can provide some insight it would be appreciated. Thank you!

 

5Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

Ok @Griffin Malcolm, ready to "Nerd-Out"..... 

I was involved in R&D program with O.C. on "solving" a solar-on-the-roof solution that (a) worked and (b) was scalable. 

You might notice today, it's discontinued. Yup, there's a reason for that. 

Firstly, the real item is only a question of Point of Production. Because the grid is getting feed via solar, a person in many markets can get solar power, the question is via a privatized system or via the utility provider. 

Solar panels start diminishing in production from the first minute there installed. This is the science of how a solar panel works. It's shedding material from impact of sun's rays, that's how elec is produced. So, that is a key item to keep in mind when doing an analysis is what the slope is of diminishing production. 

Next is install impact. Does it improve the roof itself, or does it bring increased maintenance. It varies a lot depending on install method, regional area, heck even a specific properties weather exposure. 

Now the biggest impactor is often the least spoken on which is energy storage. Batteries wear out, that's just reality, and were talking batteries for a house, yeah, that's $. Personally, I am a big fan of the "alternative" storage systems such as water pumps, sand etc. because the battery method is honestly not all that efficient on a cost to operate measure. 

Often today the systems make no sense in a standard urban/ suburban deployment, they just don't, this is why we have solar farms going up instead of the old point of use focus. BUT for certain rural areas it's worth it's weight in gold because of the reliability factor vs an unreliable or expensive existing utility structure. 

In my opinion, the only one's who should ever consider or who it may be viable for in urban/ suburban settings is MFH. Where it can have a significant ROI in the immediacy, were talking 100% ROI in less than 5yrs.

For SFH, I find it makes more sense if it's a location where Starlink is also best internet option.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    Ok @Griffin Malcolm, ready to "Nerd-Out"..... 

    I was involved in R&D program with O.C. on "solving" a solar-on-the-roof solution that (a) worked and (b) was scalable. 

    You might notice today, it's discontinued. Yup, there's a reason for that. 

    Firstly, the real item is only a question of Point of Production. Because the grid is getting feed via solar, a person in many markets can get solar power, the question is via a privatized system or via the utility provider. 

    Solar panels start diminishing in production from the first minute there installed. This is the science of how a solar panel works. It's shedding material from impact of sun's rays, that's how elec is produced. So, that is a key item to keep in mind when doing an analysis is what the slope is of diminishing production. 

    Next is install impact. Does it improve the roof itself, or does it bring increased maintenance. It varies a lot depending on install method, regional area, heck even a specific properties weather exposure. 

    Now the biggest impactor is often the least spoken on which is energy storage. Batteries wear out, that's just reality, and were talking batteries for a house, yeah, that's $. Personally, I am a big fan of the "alternative" storage systems such as water pumps, sand etc. because the battery method is honestly not all that efficient on a cost to operate measure. 

    Often today the systems make no sense in a standard urban/ suburban deployment, they just don't, this is why we have solar farms going up instead of the old point of use focus. BUT for certain rural areas it's worth it's weight in gold because of the reliability factor vs an unreliable or expensive existing utility structure. 

    In my opinion, the only one's who should ever consider or who it may be viable for in urban/ suburban settings is MFH. Where it can have a significant ROI in the immediacy, were talking 100% ROI in less than 5yrs.

    For SFH, I find it makes more sense if it's a location where Starlink is also best internet option.


    I agree. Although solar is a fun idea and a cool concept, it has yet to really be 'figured out'. Similar to Elecric Vehicles in my mind......sounds great but way too many issues.....

    I have an off-grid house where I personally installed solar, but the nearest power poles were too far away, and the cost to me to bring power in would have been a huge deal-breaker. 

    And as you say, the battery issues is one of the big ones. Getting solar without having battery backup does just not make sense. I've been through 2 sets of more tradional batteries (Deep Cell and AGM) before the cost of a lithium battery became affordable. 

    Not to mention the inital product costs to begin with.....and even though I had no labor install costs since I did it myself....it was still pretty costly. But if I wanted lights and refrigerator etc, I had no choice but solar, this is why you're correctly alluding to the rural aspect....

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    Ok @Griffin Malcolm, ready to "Nerd-Out"..... 

    I was involved in R&D program with O.C. on "solving" a solar-on-the-roof solution that (a) worked and (b) was scalable. 

    You might notice today, it's discontinued. Yup, there's a reason for that. 

    Firstly, the real item is only a question of Point of Production. Because the grid is getting feed via solar, a person in many markets can get solar power, the question is via a privatized system or via the utility provider. 

    Solar panels start diminishing in production from the first minute there installed. This is the science of how a solar panel works. It's shedding material from impact of sun's rays, that's how elec is produced. So, that is a key item to keep in mind when doing an analysis is what the slope is of diminishing production. 

    Next is install impact. Does it improve the roof itself, or does it bring increased maintenance. It varies a lot depending on install method, regional area, heck even a specific properties weather exposure. 

    Now the biggest impactor is often the least spoken on which is energy storage. Batteries wear out, that's just reality, and were talking batteries for a house, yeah, that's $. Personally, I am a big fan of the "alternative" storage systems such as water pumps, sand etc. because the battery method is honestly not all that efficient on a cost to operate measure. 

    Often today the systems make no sense in a standard urban/ suburban deployment, they just don't, this is why we have solar farms going up instead of the old point of use focus. BUT for certain rural areas it's worth it's weight in gold because of the reliability factor vs an unreliable or expensive existing utility structure. 

    In my opinion, the only one's who should ever consider or who it may be viable for in urban/ suburban settings is MFH. Where it can have a significant ROI in the immediacy, were talking 100% ROI in less than 5yrs.

    For SFH, I find it makes more sense if it's a location where Starlink is also best internet option.


    I agree. Although solar is a fun idea and a cool concept, it has yet to really be 'figured out'. Similar to Elecric Vehicles in my mind......sounds great but way too many issues.....

    I have an off-grid house where I personally installed solar, but the nearest power poles were too far away, and the cost to me to bring power in would have been a huge deal-breaker. 

    And as you say, the battery issues is one of the big ones. Getting solar without having battery backup does just not make sense. I've been through 2 sets of more tradional batteries (Deep Cell and AGM) before the cost of a lithium battery became affordable. 

    Not to mention the inital product costs to begin with.....and even though I had no labor install costs since I did it myself....it was still pretty costly. But if I wanted lights and refrigerator etc, I had no choice but solar, this is why you're correctly alluding to the rural aspect....

     An alternative to batteries is a "water battery". 

    You have 2 tanks, 1 above the other, with a water wheel (alternator/generator) in the middle. 

    When panels are producing, it pumps water from lower tank into upper. 

    When elec draw comes on, gate opens so gravity does it's thing, turns alternator/generator, produces elec on demand. 

    There is a battery component but this eliminates about 90% of the battery need. 

    It's a nifty system. I have not seen any "main stream" versions of this just back country engineering but it's a solid concept and works well. 

    Those batteries can get expensive. That's the whole crux to solar and wind, we need a far better energy storage system than batteries. Heat takes a toll on them, cold takes an even bigger tole, and it's all so dang toxic how there manufactured, making it hell for recycling or disposal.  

    That's why I prefer hydrogen elec production over solar/wind. 

    Hydrogen; I can readily make it, long as I have water. It's simple, plentiful, cheap, and emissions are less harmful than a cow fart. 

    But for some reason everything is solar solar solar vs how to modify a generac to hydrogen. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    One thing I forgot to mention is my clients found a work around. They were already replacing the roof and the HVAC, so they worked with a contractor that replaced those items and added solar at the same time. The way they did the tax rebate made it to where the solar panels were free. That to me would be a good value.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    Ok @Griffin Malcolm, ready to "Nerd-Out"..... 

    I was involved in R&D program with O.C. on "solving" a solar-on-the-roof solution that (a) worked and (b) was scalable. 

    You might notice today, it's discontinued. Yup, there's a reason for that. 

    Firstly, the real item is only a question of Point of Production. Because the grid is getting feed via solar, a person in many markets can get solar power, the question is via a privatized system or via the utility provider. 

    Solar panels start diminishing in production from the first minute there installed. This is the science of how a solar panel works. It's shedding material from impact of sun's rays, that's how elec is produced. So, that is a key item to keep in mind when doing an analysis is what the slope is of diminishing production. 

    Next is install impact. Does it improve the roof itself, or does it bring increased maintenance. It varies a lot depending on install method, regional area, heck even a specific properties weather exposure. 

    Now the biggest impactor is often the least spoken on which is energy storage. Batteries wear out, that's just reality, and were talking batteries for a house, yeah, that's $. Personally, I am a big fan of the "alternative" storage systems such as water pumps, sand etc. because the battery method is honestly not all that efficient on a cost to operate measure. 

    Often today the systems make no sense in a standard urban/ suburban deployment, they just don't, this is why we have solar farms going up instead of the old point of use focus. BUT for certain rural areas it's worth it's weight in gold because of the reliability factor vs an unreliable or expensive existing utility structure. 

    In my opinion, the only one's who should ever consider or who it may be viable for in urban/ suburban settings is MFH. Where it can have a significant ROI in the immediacy, were talking 100% ROI in less than 5yrs.

    For SFH, I find it makes more sense if it's a location where Starlink is also best internet option.


    I agree. Although solar is a fun idea and a cool concept, it has yet to really be 'figured out'. Similar to Elecric Vehicles in my mind......sounds great but way too many issues.....

    I have an off-grid house where I personally installed solar, but the nearest power poles were too far away, and the cost to me to bring power in would have been a huge deal-breaker. 

    And as you say, the battery issues is one of the big ones. Getting solar without having battery backup does just not make sense. I've been through 2 sets of more tradional batteries (Deep Cell and AGM) before the cost of a lithium battery became affordable. 

    Not to mention the inital product costs to begin with.....and even though I had no labor install costs since I did it myself....it was still pretty costly. But if I wanted lights and refrigerator etc, I had no choice but solar, this is why you're correctly alluding to the rural aspect....

     An alternative to batteries is a "water battery". 

    You have 2 tanks, 1 above the other, with a water wheel (alternator/generator) in the middle. 

    When panels are producing, it pumps water from lower tank into upper. 

    When elec draw comes on, gate opens so gravity does it's thing, turns alternator/generator, produces elec on demand. 

    There is a battery component but this eliminates about 90% of the battery need. 

    It's a nifty system. I have not seen any "main stream" versions of this just back country engineering but it's a solid concept and works well. 

    Those batteries can get expensive. That's the whole crux to solar and wind, we need a far better energy storage system than batteries. Heat takes a toll on them, cold takes an even bigger tole, and it's all so dang toxic how there manufactured, making it hell for recycling or disposal.  

    That's why I prefer hydrogen elec production over solar/wind. 

    Hydrogen; I can readily make it, long as I have water. It's simple, plentiful, cheap, and emissions are less harmful than a cow fart. 

    But for some reason everything is solar solar solar vs how to modify a generac to hydrogen. 


    Batteries will be the future for home use. The technology to generate electricity from a water battery or hydrogen fuel cell would take up a fair bit of space and be pretty expensive. 

    Battery technology is evolving FAST now because companies know there are serious opportunities if they develop the technologies.

    For home use, even today, you can have a system WITH battery but WITHOUT buying a battery! If you buy an EV, you have a large battery sitting in your garage that can be used to power your home in an emergency. So, if emergencies are the use-case concern, that is one option but also portable power stations which can be used at home, camping, tailgating, etc. So, even without investing in an expensive system of batteries at home you can cover your bases and get MULTIPLE types of uses out of the battery systems you do buy.

    BTW, hydrogen isn't a "fuel", its a battery! ELECTRICITY is used to break apart water to create hydrogen and if you want green energy that means using solar, wind, etc to create the hydrogen. Its just a storage for energy really aka a battery.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Griffin Malcolm Solar panels can be a good investment if tax credits and energy savings offset the costs, but their ROI depends on your short timeframe. The federal and New York tax credits reduce tax liability but don't provide direct cash, so the effective monthly payment may rise if credits aren't reinvested. Panels may appeal to eco-conscious buyers and add resale value, but this varies by market. Since benefits typically accrue over years, the payoff may be limited if you sell within two years.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    1y

    @Griffin Malcolm

    One thing to consider is the impacts it has on your cashflow. I put 31 panels in NH. My average electric bill was 420/mo. we run all heat pump appliances so our bill is higher than most. I put $0 down and got a loan at 4% and pay $320 a month. Saves me $100 a month and cost me nothing other than a few hrs getting bids.

    I did this in 2021 so I know panel price has gone up as have rates so don't know if this is viable today but may be worth looking. Even a small down payment may make sense if your loan payment in less that your average bill.

  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    I live in Sunny Arizona and has owned solar panels for years (full cash purchase) for 2 of my primary homes. The current I live in has solar panels (13.3kw) + 2 Tesla batteries installed back in 2020, and has seen remarkable results and ROI. We drive two Tesla EVs, so if we count in the $ delta we saved from gas $ to charging at home, our projected ROI on the total system (~$40k post rebate) is about 8 years. Our electricity bill went from $4100 / year to $833/year (with added 2 EVs)

    With that being said, to answer the question of ROI, it is SO dependent on your usage and local pricing scheme, and you really have to do your own homework to dial in the right system set up to achieve the optimal results. For example, in AZ, SRP offers "net metering" as well as super low pricing if you are on the "customer generation plan", therefore if the system is dialed in to eliminate all on-peak usage using battery, the saving is huge comparing to choosing a different SRP plan or choosing a different system set up (such as solar panel only).

    I've considered putting solar panels on my investment properties, however, I have not pulled the trigger yet. Largely is because renters are not going to watch their electricity usage patterns, which makes it is hard to dial in the right system config to anticipate the load. This means, you will either over purchase the system (too many panels, batteries, etc) or under estimate, both making the outcome not optimal. 

    In conclusion, I think a general assumption of ~15 years ROI is reasonable, and I believe if you really dial in the usage and match the system config to optimize, you could drive down to a 8 year ROI. Given the life span of the system, it would still be worth it.

    Also, never listen to the sales people on their saving projection, I've yet see someone who does a good job of data analytics to truly project it correctly. They take your electricity bill for the year and do a straight line calculation which is almost always wrong because your electrical company charges vary by the hour, and solar production vary by the hour / season etc. You need to download your electricity usage by the hour by the day, overlay the solar production projection by the hour by the day, and truly see what can be offset. 


    Iris

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    Luckily electricity prices have been much more stable…

    In 2009 our rate was 11.2c per kWh

    Now it’s 13.1c per kWh

    That’s 17% in 15 years. Just over 1% per year, well under inflation. 

    Unluckily The “basic charge” that everyone including solar users has more than doubled in those 15 years. Including a 50% increase in this year alone. (Basically to stick it to the solar people.)

    Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of solar. It keeps our money from countries that hate us. It puts the brakes on big power company’s power. And it rewards “time of use” power usage. I’d throw in its cleaner energy, but if that was really a factor we’d be building nuclear plants. (This year ‘peak power price’ changed from 1p-7p to just 6-9p because of all the solar generation.)

    If we lost power more than once every 5-10 years I would have the Tesla battery with solar. But power is just too cheap and too reliable. But there’s no reason not to wait. As the solar people have been saying for more than 40 years. It’s 10% better and 10% cheaper every year. Eventually it will have to be free. 

    Ps. I do believe because of all the new solar production daytime electricity, at least in the summer, will be free or darn near it. There are already power deals that give you unlimited charging for your electric car for a small charge. And many if not most have a 5c kWh for off peak charging. (That’s what I use.)

    Pps. If EVs ever start coming with bidirectional charging that will be a massive game changer in the electricity market. 

    Last ppps. Has anyone seen what a hail storm does to solar? I saw a guy driving past a square mile of solar panels in Texas where every single panel was destroyed. Not an issue here, but my mom just got a new roof in MN because of hail damage. I wonder if the insurance company would have bought her new panels?


     This is very helpful information. I'm not a flipper but maybe looking to buy property in Vegas or Reno. Those electricity rates sound reasonable to me compared to our California rates. I like the idea of solar energy but I'm not totally convinced that I should be looking for properties with solar for cost savings - I wouldn't want to lease the panels but probably buy them. 

    In San Francisco Bay Area, my 2024 rates are $0.494 for peak and $0.464 off peak hours per kWh for the two counties my properties are in. There's a baseline credit of -$0.101 per kWh. I see some homes in the suburbs which get more sun and have hot summers with solar panels, a few in San Francisco where there are a lot of overcast and chilly days. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    @Becca F. those are insane prices Becca. From what I coulda find you were already paying 22c/kwh in 2014. So your rates have doubled in 10 years, about 7% annually. (I couldn’t find if that was a nice gradual increase or mostly done in 1-2 years.) But….

    You can see you’re being screwed over by the power company, or the government, or both. Peak and off peak shouldn’t be a 6% difference, it should be closer to a 50% discount.

    PLUS, if they’re charging you 49c/kWh and solar is needed to SAVE THE PLANET. Why are they paying you 10c/kWh? Does that mean they’re paying 10c/kwh already and charging you 49c/kwh? (When I’m paying 11c/kwh I assume it costs my power company 7-9 cents?) Or, are they paying you less than they pay everyone else to discourage it?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.