First-Time Flipper in Bakersfield – Advice on Hard Money Loans & Finding a Partner

First-Time Flipper in Bakersfield – Advice on Hard Money Loans & Finding a Partner

Real Estate Agent · CA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 11 votes

Hey BP community,

I’m a licensed real estate agent in California and have held my license for several years now. I’m finally ready to jump into my first flip and have been looking at three potential properties in Bakersfield in the $200–250K range. They’ve got strong comps and relatively light rehab needs, so I’m confident in the resale potential.

I plan to purchase and flip under my LLC, and I have a high credit score.

That said, the hard money lenders I’ve spoken with so far are offering terms around 60% ARV with 100% construction financed. From what I’ve seen and read, that seems a bit conservative—especially for someone with good credit and RE experience, even if this is my first flip.

Is this standard for Bakersfield right now? Or are there ways to negotiate better terms as a first-timer?

One lender suggested I might qualify for stronger terms if I partnered with an experienced flipper. I’m totally open to that, but I’m not sure where to start. What’s the best way to find someone reputable to work with in California, ideally someone who’s active in the Bakersfield area?

Are there meetups, BP members, Facebook groups, or agent connections you’d recommend checking out?

Appreciate any insight or direction. I’m trying to start off on the right foot and minimize mistakes on this first one. Thanks in advance!

Updates: 04/08

I was able to connect with the lender who offers 85% LTC with 10% interest and luckily low and transparent Fees!

I have submitted 1 purchase agreements but was unfortunately outbid by another buyer who went over asking. However, I was able to find another potential property!

Does anyone know if termite damage is very costly? (On the outer exterior of the home) would love any insight! Thank you ❤️

2Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
1y

I don't recommend doing your house flips in an LLC that you personally own because it could cause the IRS to label you as a "dealer." In real estate, being seen as a dealer means the IRS treats your properties like inventory (just like a store selling products). This label comes with several disadvantages. If you're flipping houses, wholesaling, or developing properties, you could lose out on valuable tax benefits such as 1031 exchanges, installment sales, long-term capital gains rates, and depreciation deductions. On top of that, dealers must pay a 15.3% self-employment tax on their real estate profits.

The IRS looks at several factors when deciding if someone is a dealer, such as why you bought the property, how many improvements you made, how often you sell properties, how involved you are in real estate as a business, how much marketing you do, and whether you use a broker. These rules are very broad and can apply to almost anyone actively involved in real estate.

Because of this, it's usually better to run your flipping and similar activities through a corporation instead. A corporation can help you avoid dealer status, offer tax benefits, and protect any passive income you have from being affected.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tanya McDonald:

    Hey BP community,

    I’m a licensed real estate agent in California and have held my license for several years now. I’m finally ready to jump into my first flip and have been looking at three potential properties in Bakersfield in the $200–250K range. They’ve got strong comps and relatively light rehab needs, so I’m confident in the resale potential.

    I plan to purchase and flip under my LLC, and I have a high credit score.

    That said, the hard money lenders I’ve spoken with so far are offering terms around 60% ARV with 100% construction financed. From what I’ve seen and read, that seems a bit conservative—especially for someone with good credit and RE experience, even if this is my first flip.

    Is this standard for Bakersfield right now? Or are there ways to negotiate better terms as a first-timer?

    One lender suggested I might qualify for stronger terms if I partnered with an experienced flipper. I’m totally open to that, but I’m not sure where to start. What’s the best way to find someone reputable to work with in California, ideally someone who’s active in the Bakersfield area?

    Are there meetups, BP members, Facebook groups, or agent connections you’d recommend checking out?

    Appreciate any insight or direction. I’m trying to start off on the right foot and minimize mistakes on this first one. Thanks in advance!

    Hi @Tanya McDonald, welcome to the BP Forum! While 60% ARV seems fairly low, even for a 1st time flipper, I agree with the overall commentary and the lender's suggestion about partnering with an experienced flipper.

    I would suggest finding 2-3 well known commercial brokers/agents in the area and buying them a coffee and explaining what you're looking for...in my work with my real estate investor clients, those are usually the people in a market that know the people doing what in the area. Happy to answer any other questions.

    • Real Estate Agent · CA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Jaycee Greene

      Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely look into connecting with agents in the area and see about networking with investors in the area!

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tanya McDonald:

    Hey BP community,

    I’m a licensed real estate agent in California and have held my license for several years now. I’m finally ready to jump into my first flip and have been looking at three potential properties in Bakersfield in the $200–250K range. They’ve got strong comps and relatively light rehab needs, so I’m confident in the resale potential.

    I plan to purchase and flip under my LLC, and I have a high credit score.

    That said, the hard money lenders I’ve spoken with so far are offering terms around 60% ARV with 100% construction financed. From what I’ve seen and read, that seems a bit conservative—especially for someone with good credit and RE experience, even if this is my first flip.

    Is this standard for Bakersfield right now? Or are there ways to negotiate better terms as a first-timer?

    One lender suggested I might qualify for stronger terms if I partnered with an experienced flipper. I’m totally open to that, but I’m not sure where to start. What’s the best way to find someone reputable to work with in California, ideally someone who’s active in the Bakersfield area?

    Are there meetups, BP members, Facebook groups, or agent connections you’d recommend checking out?

    Appreciate any insight or direction. I’m trying to start off on the right foot and minimize mistakes on this first one. Thanks in advance!


    While you have real estate experience, lack of F&F will impact your borrowering capacity, but we typically see it as 75% max ARV not 60%, that seems low. We just did a loan for someone in similar condition with great credit and it was 75% ARV. - BUT that also had them putting 25% down on purchase - so in this instance the ARV was not the factor for the loan it was the acquisition price and rehab costs.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 649 votes
    1y

    For first timers I see 65% ARV max loan amount, 60% is very low especially for good credit. With experience the max loan amount can get up to 75% ARV.

    I'm sure Bakersfield has an investor community.  Local agents must represent investors and lenders must lend to them.

    Talk to some wholesalers as well.  

    If you are getting 75%/100% terms under that 60% cap then I'd say it's fine depending on your capital you can bring to close.

    But buying at the 250k range let's say may require 60k+ to see the project through to exit.  Down payment, closing costs, holding costs, unforeseen costs...

    How far are you from Bakerfield?  

    • Real Estate Agent · CA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 11 votes
      1y
      Hi Mike!
      Thank you for your reply, I was able to connect with a lender that is offering 85% LTC with a 9% interest. 
      I am about an hour an half away from Bakersfield and have made about 5 trips up there since the beginning of April.. 

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tanya McDonald:
      Hi Mike!
      Thank you for your reply, I was able to connect with a lender that is offering 85% LTC with a 9% interest. 
      I am about an hour an half away from Bakersfield and have made about 5 trips up there since the beginning of April.. 

      @Tanya McDonald Are they offering 85% Loan to Cost (LTC) or Loan to After Repair Value (LTARV)? And how much are they financing on the rehab costs?

    • Real Estate Agent · CA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 11 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Tanya McDonald:
      Hi Mike!
      Thank you for your reply, I was able to connect with a lender that is offering 85% LTC with a 9% interest. 
      I am about an hour an half away from Bakersfield and have made about 5 trips up there since the beginning of April.. 

      @Tanya McDonald Are they offering 85% Loan to Cost (LTC) or Loan to After Repair Value (LTARV)? And how much are they financing on the rehab costs?


       They are offering 85% LTC with 100% coverage for renovations.

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tanya McDonald:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Tanya McDonald:
      Hi Mike!
      Thank you for your reply, I was able to connect with a lender that is offering 85% LTC with a 9% interest. 
      I am about an hour an half away from Bakersfield and have made about 5 trips up there since the beginning of April.. 

      @Tanya McDonald Are they offering 85% Loan to Cost (LTC) or Loan to After Repair Value (LTARV)? And how much are they financing on the rehab costs?


       They are offering 85% LTC with 100% coverage for renovations.

      @Tanya McDonald That is fairly standard. I would assume they further limit the loan to a max of 75% of the ARV. Is that accurate?

  • Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    I don't recommend doing your house flips in an LLC that you personally own because it could cause the IRS to label you as a "dealer." In real estate, being seen as a dealer means the IRS treats your properties like inventory (just like a store selling products). This label comes with several disadvantages. If you're flipping houses, wholesaling, or developing properties, you could lose out on valuable tax benefits such as 1031 exchanges, installment sales, long-term capital gains rates, and depreciation deductions. On top of that, dealers must pay a 15.3% self-employment tax on their real estate profits.

    The IRS looks at several factors when deciding if someone is a dealer, such as why you bought the property, how many improvements you made, how often you sell properties, how involved you are in real estate as a business, how much marketing you do, and whether you use a broker. These rules are very broad and can apply to almost anyone actively involved in real estate.

    Because of this, it's usually better to run your flipping and similar activities through a corporation instead. A corporation can help you avoid dealer status, offer tax benefits, and protect any passive income you have from being affected.

    • Real Estate Agent · CA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 11 votes
      1y
      Thank you so much for the tip! I will be looking into this.
  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 464 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    Typical ARV cap would be around 70% with a higher down payment (more skin in the game) required until you gain experience. As you complete more projects you will have lower down payment requirements (ARV dependent) .

    Checking Facebook and going to local RE events (check Meetup.com and Eventbrite) are great ways to meet investors in your area

  • Lender · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    There are definitely a good amount of options that can get you in the door with much higher leverage for beginners. Depending on credit (usually over 720), potentially can get in the door with 10% down on the purchase and up to 75% LTARV. Even at a 700 score you could get in with 15% down. Shouldn't have to worry about a partner in that case!

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    1y

    You’re definitely asking the right questions, and it sounds like you’re setting yourself up for a solid first project.

    From my experience, those 60% ARV terms do seem a bit conservative—especially considering your credit score and background in real estate. On recent rehab deals I've been involved in, I've been seeing 80–90% of the purchase price funded, with 100% of the rehab costs covered, depending on the deal and lender relationship. So it's definitely possible to get better terms, even on your first flip, if the numbers and your profile line up.

    Sometimes smaller or more specialized lenders are more flexible, especially if they see you're serious and well-prepared. It also helps to have a clear scope of work and comps lined up to support your ARV.

    As for finding a partner, local REIAs, investor meetups, and even BP forums can be great for networking—there are definitely people out there looking to JV on the right deal.

    Feel free to reach out with any questions!

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 159 votes
    1y

    Hi Tanya, have you considered partnering up with a fellow realtor with whom you have a good relationship or offering this opportunity to a close friend or family member? If you own your own property, could you take out a HELOC and use those funds to flip? You could also attend some local REIA groups in your area where you could meet some other investors and possibly hard money lenders. I hope this helps, and good luck with any future projects!

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 159 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 27 votes
    1y

    Hi Tanya,

    Would you mind sharing the notes & learnings from BP that you followed? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.