Let’s be real, every investor’s got at least one rehab story that still stings. 😅
Maybe you trusted the wrong contractor, skipped an inspection, or blew the budget halfway through.
What’s the one rehab mistake you’ll never make again?
Let’s help the next investor avoid the same headache.
Let’s be real, every investor’s got at least one rehab story that still stings. 😅
Maybe you trusted the wrong contractor, skipped an inspection, or blew the budget halfway through.
What’s the one rehab mistake you’ll never make again?
Let’s help the next investor avoid the same headache.
I've been rehabbing for a while and never made the "one" big mistake. What I have done on my first deal ever and see EVERY single new person make is way under budgeting their renovation expenses. I went 3x over my first house. Good thing is that the renovation was just small cosmetics so it wasn't bad, but I've reviewed budgets for first time flippers and their cost is usually half of what it should be. That's one common mistake that I see.
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11mo
We recently made the mistake of missing a damaged AC unit. The unit worked but the coils were damaged by dogs. The efficiency was terrible and it couldn't cool the house.
I agree with everyone. It's why it's also important to have a large enough margin to allot some budget for unexpected expenses so you don't end up breaking even or worst losing profit on a deal.
I had my biggest fix-n-flip mistake last year in NC area. I am a very hands-on person and particularly with rehabs, but I read a book from BP and decided to experiment with a fix-n-flip property 5 hours from my home. The property failed for 3 reasons:
1. I overpaid VA for the "As Is".
2. It had a crawl space with rot issues, and I didn't get an inspection up front because.
3. I have a recommended contractor (who was a flim flam man) who thought that he knew the crawl space and other issues in the house but didn't.
The deal turned out to be mostly a break-even fix-n-flip and needless to say I won't be doing an more rehabs at a distance. I have don't a lot of other real estate deals and ownership at a distance, but rehabs can just easily go wrong - even in my back yard - but at a distance everything gets complicated quickly and never to my advantage. Chalk that one up to never again.
That’s a tough one, Wade. Distance flips can get tricky fast, especially when you can’t keep an eye on the work. Definitely a valuable lesson, appreciate you sharing it.
Investor · Argyle, TX · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 73 votes
11mo
In the early days of operating in DFW, we would repair foundations without testing the plumbing after. This led to several properties having sewer leaks which turned into full sewer repipes on occupied houses. It's painful to see a house that was renovated and rented, to then be torn up by jackhammering through the slab in multiple places so that the sewer lines could be replaced. Then replacing flooring, repainting several areas, redoing bathrooms because the tub had to be pulled, and replacing cabinets that were pulled and damaged when removed.
It's not the one story, but it was definitely a painful, learning curve.
In the early days of operating in DFW, we would repair foundations without testing the plumbing after. This led to several properties having sewer leaks which turned into full sewer repipes on occupied houses. It's painful to see a house that was renovated and rented, to then be torn up by jackhammering through the slab in multiple places so that the sewer lines could be replaced. Then replacing flooring, repainting several areas, redoing bathrooms because the tub had to be pulled, and replacing cabinets that were pulled and damaged when removed.
It's not the one story, but it was definitely a painful, learning curve.
definitely a hard (and expensive) lesson to learn. Foundation and plumbing issues can snowball fast. Appreciate you sharing that — good reminder for anyone doing rehabs to always test everything before buttoning things up.