Flipper/Rehabber · Ahwahnee, CA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 26 votes
Hi,
I'm going to be doing my 3rd flip soon, and am wondering what others think about shaker style kitchen cabinets vs. raised panel? This house has a 10.25 x 9.75 galley kitchen, so it's a smaller space.
I know my personal preference, but am curious what others like to see in their flips, and what has worked well for you. Also, what color have you found is universally liked the best?
Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 325 posts · 335 votes
11y
@J Scott I think the cabinets in your avatar are mighty nice!
@Letitia Harris Shaker is KING of the hill at the moment! You really can't go wrong with a painted white.
Here in Atlanta, Espresso is also EXTREMELY popular, Note the 2 different types of drawers that are popular with shaker, slab drawer fronts which are popular with cup pulls.
And 5 Piece drawers that are usually more expensive and tend to have knobs or bar pulls.
Also WIDE STYLE shakers are becoming more popular... again usually more expensive but a nice change of pace, as well as simple variations on the tradition shaker style like beaded rails..
To be DIFFERENT than ALL our competition that is using painted white and espresso shaker... We have started to use more grey paints and also paints with BRUSHED glazes lately.
And for Laundry, Mud and Powder Rooms even some distressing can set you apart...
Not sure which manufactures you have access to in your market, but if you wanna let me know which ones you are considering I can help point you to which one would be your actual best BANG for the BUCK!
Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
11y
I have been researching painting the current cabinets in a property I am buying. The white paint looked cleaner...but I thought the white would get dirty quicker. I am planning to buy and hold - so probably go with something that will hide dirt
Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 93 votes
11y
All of our recent projects have been white shaker. We do not use wood, but instead reface cabinets in laminate. Works well in long term buy and hold/rentals, but have also been using in flips. Tenant can easily wipe stains without damaging wood or the finish. I even used this material in my home due to having 2 young kids. Kitchen looks great and always clean. Google defacing and see what companies are around. PM me if you want the name of the National Franchise that I use. Hope this helps!
Tampa, FL · Member since 2012 · 48 posts · 10 votes
11y
@Kirk R. I've done white paint 3 times how, I've had 1 for 2 years now, and it's actually looking pretty good still. They were cheapo oak home depot cabinets. I am not painting some formica ones at another place, will see how that goes.... If it holds up or not. I used a primer that is supposed to bond to it. It looks good now, but I'll have to see if it peels or not....
Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
11y
@Jesse O. @Jesse O. How long did it take to paint them? did you sand or strip?
I saw some rustoleum cabinet kits on sale at home depot but reviews said it was taking everyone forever to paint the cabinets. worried white would get dirty from grease and such. I'm probably on the lower part of the middle. Were your cabinet paints in more expensive rentals or..?
Seems like painting would be much less expensive than replacing - unless the painting is too labor intensive.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
11y
@Todd Whiddon owns the largest cabinet distributorship in Georgia, and also builds/renovates several dozen houses per year, so he probably has some thoughts here...
Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 325 posts · 335 votes
11y
@J Scott I think the cabinets in your avatar are mighty nice!
@Letitia Harris Shaker is KING of the hill at the moment! You really can't go wrong with a painted white.
Here in Atlanta, Espresso is also EXTREMELY popular, Note the 2 different types of drawers that are popular with shaker, slab drawer fronts which are popular with cup pulls.
And 5 Piece drawers that are usually more expensive and tend to have knobs or bar pulls.
Also WIDE STYLE shakers are becoming more popular... again usually more expensive but a nice change of pace, as well as simple variations on the tradition shaker style like beaded rails..
To be DIFFERENT than ALL our competition that is using painted white and espresso shaker... We have started to use more grey paints and also paints with BRUSHED glazes lately.
And for Laundry, Mud and Powder Rooms even some distressing can set you apart...
Not sure which manufactures you have access to in your market, but if you wanna let me know which ones you are considering I can help point you to which one would be your actual best BANG for the BUCK!
There are other choices as well, for inexpensive doors, I see slab grade oak, Its basicly MDF wood with oak,maple ash etc. its veneer that has a special router biy used on the edged to allow for easy opening. no hardware needed.