Small master bathroom in flip, is tile in the shower better than a plastic surround?

Small master bathroom in flip, is tile in the shower better than a plastic surround?

Flipper/Rehabber · Ahwahnee, CA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 26 votes

I'm debating if tiling the master bath shower is better than a plastic surround.  It measures 32 x 32, 72 sq. feet,  in a VERY small bathroom in an inverted L shape.    The main hall bath has a soaking tub and shower, with a nice shower surround.

Also, is a pedestal sink a better option than a 14" vanity?   

Thanks!

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2014 · 661 posts · 400 votes
11y

@Letitia Harris

Great question. 

If at all possible with small showers like you are describing. I always try to open a wall up and make it a glass wall it is amazing how much bigger and less creepy :) the shower will feel. 

Below are some pics of a shower that we did a little similar to what you are describing. Where you see the half glass wall that used to be a regular drywall. But by opening it up it really opened the shower up quite a bit. 

Next if it was me I would ALWAYS tile showers. If it is retail flip, it looks way better if it is a rental I use cheaper tile but the great thing is I never have to replace it. Lastly, if you notice I used 3 different types of tile. Wall tile-- Accent tile---floor tile.

Hope that helps a little see pics below. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Tile always looks better, but its more costly.  What do the similar priced houses in that area have?  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ahwahnee, CA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    Hi Cal,

    It was built in 1955, and the original tile was a very dark green.  The shower looked like a coffin.   I'll have to ask the neighbors what they have.  

    If I go with tile, I'm thinking white, with a 3" accent trim at the top.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2014 · 661 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    @Letitia Harris

    Great question. 

    If at all possible with small showers like you are describing. I always try to open a wall up and make it a glass wall it is amazing how much bigger and less creepy :) the shower will feel. 

    Below are some pics of a shower that we did a little similar to what you are describing. Where you see the half glass wall that used to be a regular drywall. But by opening it up it really opened the shower up quite a bit. 

    Next if it was me I would ALWAYS tile showers. If it is retail flip, it looks way better if it is a rental I use cheaper tile but the great thing is I never have to replace it. Lastly, if you notice I used 3 different types of tile. Wall tile-- Accent tile---floor tile.

    Hope that helps a little see pics below. 

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Tile it! White subway tile is classic, inexpensive,  and will go with pretty much any look your end buyers have in mind. (although Andrew's examples is really attractive as well) Rather than accent trim, take the tile all the way to the ceiling. It's a more modern look.

    If you are super tight on the budget you could consider getting the existing tile professionally refinished. I had this done at my old house by a company called Miracle Method and it looked really nice. (Went from 50's pink/black to white)

    In a tiny bath a vanity can use up a lot of space. Have you thought about a wall mount? They've been getting more common in high end stuff and are now starting to trickle down to affordable. They range form simple to sculptural and can add a lot of bang for the buck. like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kokols-Palasa-Wall-Mounted-Bathroom-Sink-in-Black-WF-32/205352288?N=5yc1vZbzbk

    I'd say you want the master bath to have at least one 'wow' element.

  • David SemerPro Member
    Investor · Lincroft, NJ · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    We have always done tile when I look at the other rehabs for comparisons they use insert my opinion is it is not as nice.  We want to separate our rehab form the others.  

    Best of luck.  

    @Andrew Cordle 

    Great advice and examples of what you do.  Thanks for sharing.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ahwahnee, CA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone,

    I like the idea of the master having tile, since the main bathroom has the surround.   Subway to the ceiling sounds good.   

    There isn't room to move a wall for more room.  Actually, there is, but I didn't realize we have to jackhammer out the drain to center it, and could have moved over the water lines that are set in concrete.  This house is on a concrete slab.  It's my first one on a slab, and it's been a problem more than a few times!  Live and learn.

    Tish

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 208 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    +1 for tile, I think it is better in the long run. Demo and retiling a shower surround can be done $800 or less in TX, on average, so not sure what labor runs in your area. Of course this will vary, depending on your selection of tile, shower trim, if you pull/replace pan, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    The Tile just provides a wow factor that the 3 piece unit can not bring. I would highly recommend it especially when the things that have the greatest return are bathrooms and kitchens of any property. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jean Bolger:

    Tile it! White subway tile is classic, inexpensive,  and will go with pretty much any look your end buyers have in mind. (although Andrew's examples is really attractive as well) Rather than accent trim, take the tile all the way to the ceiling. It's a more modern look.

    If you are super tight on the budget you could consider getting the existing tile professionally refinished. I had this done at my old house by a company called Miracle Method and it looked really nice. (Went from 50's pink/black to white)

    In a tiny bath a vanity can use up a lot of space. Have you thought about a wall mount? They've been getting more common in high end stuff and are now starting to trickle down to affordable. They range form simple to sculptural and can add a lot of bang for the buck. like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kokols-Palasa-Wall-Mounted-Bathroom-Sink-in-Black-WF-32/205352288?N=5yc1vZbzbk

    I'd say you want the master bath to have at least one 'wow' element.

     Dude - that sink, with this beveled subway tile available off the rack at Home Depot. I used it in the kitchen, and thinking about the bathrooms too. Not super expensive, no special order required. So nice!

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Concorde-Dawn-Beveled-3-in-x-6-in-x-8-mm-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-1-pk-8-pcs-1-sq-ft-3-55-lb-99507/202663554

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.