Ask me your electrical questions!

Ask me your electrical questions!

Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes

I've been an electrician in Washington (the real one..) for 10 years, residential, commercial, and industrial. I've learned a ton from BP so this is me trying to give back with knowledge of something I know very well. Hit me up anytime.. even if you're reading this a year from now..

31Reply
1,139 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Originally posted by @Shawn Thom:

Sometimes I look at older homes that have old break boxes or have brands that are known to be bad.  I ask my electrician about changing out the breaker box and he gives me a price.  That part I get.   Then he talks about changing out the service as well.  What all does changing out the service include?

 it means everything from the riser, the rain head, the cam, the meter, the wire from the meter to the pane.. 

look at this pic... it's from the "weatherproof fittings" to the "Service wire holder".

See this reply in the discussion

211 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sean Barry:

    Loren.  I am looking for a little reinforcement/information for some ideas I have for a wiring project I have on an investment property.  Are you still answering electrical questions?  Thanks! Sean

     PM'd but feel free to ask here so other can see/benefit

  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zoran Domazet:

    @Loren Thomas I am doing some upgrades to my duplex and would like to add a washer/dryer outlet. The unit has 3 NEMA 6-20 (winky face outlet) outlets for the AC window units from the past and these 3 have double breakers in the breaker box. Can I swap out the  NEMA 6-20 outlet  for a 3 or 4 prong Dryer outlet? Below is a picture of my  breaker box, it doesn't have a main breaker and things are labeled kind of weird. Do you have any insight on what the Lights/Rec might be? 

    Hola. If the amperage is the same, and the wires are the right size for that amperage, you're probably ok. But it sounds like you are trying to run a dryer off of a 20 amp AC outlet? Dryers are typically 30 amp. You cannot do that.

    Lights/Rec is just Lights/Outlets (receptacles)

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Loren Thomas I think the AC plug is max 20A, I will have to replace the circuit breaker box to 30 amp 2-pole and run the appropriate wires for 30AM to the washer/dryer unit correct? 

  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    4y

    BUMP

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Loren Thomas saw your bump so thought I'd throw this in as a fun appliance hookup of old...

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    @Loren Thomas saw your bump so thought I'd throw this in as a fun appliance hookup of old...

    What's your point Pat? You know that it was "space age" back in the day. Don't need no stinking GFCI. 

    God, I feel old. 

  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    4y

    That's rad and I want one.

  • Shelton, WA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @Loren Thomas wow thank you Loren for this opportunity to ask you questions, first the details:

    I bought a house in Shelton,wa.

    I have replaced several light fixtures,switches, outlets and the wire is 14 ga. I get a lot of draw (lights dim) when using master bathroom fan and turning on something else in the bed room like a 1200 watt heater. I have replaced all outlets and switches and made sure all ground wires are hooked properly.

    My breaker panel is full but have not replaced the breaker’s as of yet. This is a 3bd 2 1/2 ba 2 car.1700 sq ft

    Built in 1974, also all wires feed from attic. I did not get an electrical panel inspection included with home inspection (not provided and I didn’t know to ask for one since I thought the realtor was looking out for my interest) (never again)

    Questions: how much to rewire a house and up grade panel to a 200 amp service and will a 200 amp service be enough to handle my house and a 40x60 shop in the future ?

    I also am a tradesman (dirt work, utilities, etc…)

    Thank you

    Rob

  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    4y

    Hi Rob,

    I dont know that I can give you a good answer. I haven't been in touch with the cost of residential installations for some time.

    I will say though, that a legal 74 build should have grounded wiring it so, really you might just need a service upgrade. Assuming your not running multiple welders and heaters and air compressors in your shop at the same time, you'll be fine.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.