getting my contractor's license to do my own work on rentals.

getting my contractor's license to do my own work on rentals.

Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes

Hi all,

I have been working on my properties for almost a decade. I have done a ton of work on my personal residence(2) over the years and what I can on my rentals. I have to hire out the work on my rental properties that require a permit. My problem is that I have enough connections that it would be a ton easier if I got a contractor's license and pulled my own permits on projects that required them. I could then take on the job myself or on bigger projects, hire the extra help and make things a lot easier. Is there any issue with a landlord or rehabbed who is a licence contractor running their own jobs and pulling their own permits. 

Looks like it just takes a 12 hour class and passing a test to meet the requirements in Wisconsin then passing a test. Fill out and pay a $45 fee and I am licensed. Anything I am missing?

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    11y

    I'm thinking of doing the same. Interested to hear others' experience.

  • Flipper Mostly · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2012 · 107 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    I've been thinking of getting mine also and wondering if it would be beneficial on my flips..

    Good to hear if others have done this and what the benefits might be..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.