Real Estate Investor · York, PA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
With the spring finally here, I have been working outside on my rental properties doing several things. As a result, I have a pile of dirt, almost enough to fill a pick up truck. In a way, they can be reused.
I wanted to ask you if you know of an easy way to get rid of such excess dirt? Post a sign "Free Dirt" like you see with "Free Firewood" or what? I never had to deal with this issue before and thought maybe some of you have a great tip on getting rid of it quick and free or cheaply as possible.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y
A pickup load can usually be graded into a lot, not enough there for landscapers or other contractors to use, but you can call them and ask. Another place that may take it, if it's good soil, is a nursery. In rural areas a farmer may let you dump clean dirt. Might consider doing some landscaping around the house first grading away from the structure. Good luck :)
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y
A pickup load can usually be graded into a lot, not enough there for landscapers or other contractors to use, but you can call them and ask. Another place that may take it, if it's good soil, is a nursery. In rural areas a farmer may let you dump clean dirt. Might consider doing some landscaping around the house first grading away from the structure. Good luck :)
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y
good will gesture, ask your neighbors if they want it, make sure to say if you don't take it by x day I will have it hauled. Advertise free clean fill on craigslist and then give them the address. I need to have it gone by Friday. The sign works but kind of dependent on where you put it and if you want various people driving with their pickup on the area. the key is if it is really dirt, people need that but branches and stuff like that and you will have to get it removed.
Real Estate Investor · York, PA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
11y
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It certainly seems like a challenge since every yard is full of dirt or "fill". After asking around, I am going to look into several options including creating my own clean dirt pile (free of sticks and stones) for future grading projects.