Refinishing Concrete Floors - Concrete Foundation

Refinishing Concrete Floors - Concrete Foundation

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes

Greetings - I am closing on a duplex at the end of the month which is on a concrete pad foundation. I am really interested in trying to figure out an affordable Do it Yourself method to make these floors the actual floors. They are currently carpeted, I just really do not want to go back to carpet. This is a long-term hold - I am okay spending more now for a good solution that will last several years. Thank You!

1Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

Here is new construction we just finished with stained concrete floors 

I also just stained existing concrete floors in part of an office building built in 1975. It has a lot of character markings, but I really do like how it turned out.   

Neither was DIY, but hardly anything I do is. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    11y
    Google "Lava flow epoxy images" You will be amazed at what can be done with epoxy paints these days. The trick is you have to use 100% solids epoxy paint. This stuff is about indestructible in a non industrial applications.
  • Investor · Rocktown, IL · Member since 2012 · 238 posts · 69 votes
    11y

    Stained concrete can be nice, although it's just not going to be satisfying from an aesthetic point of view in very house out there.  From a durability viewpoint, I've lost most of my enthusiasm -- there are so many variables to getting a good install.  I can think of on project I was involved on where the stained floors still look as intended.  

    My favorite is polished natural concrete, hold your stain, thank you.  But even this has its challenges regarding install, durability, maintenance, etc. -- and, is not going to work aesthetically in most mainstream interiors. 

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    Here is new construction we just finished with stained concrete floors 

    I also just stained existing concrete floors in part of an office building built in 1975. It has a lot of character markings, but I really do like how it turned out.   

    Neither was DIY, but hardly anything I do is. 

    I was going to recommend the Acid Staining as well -- I wouldnt do it myself - pretty labor intensive and a few steps - however looks good.  You see it a lot around here in renovated old industrial/retail buildings, some basements in high end homes etc.  I think it might be a bit trendy, however looks good and will probably for a few years and very little maintenance per my understanding - can always throw another floor covering over it down the road to update the look at that time.

  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I have really enjoyed reading this older thread.  I just purchased (5) smaller complexes in Texas and am in the process of removing old carpets and going to 100% vinyl plank for about $2/sq foot installed.  I was wondering how the stained concrete was holding up for people & current pricing.

    If anyone has any updates, I would love to hear them.  Thanks, Gerry

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.