Refinishing Concrete Floors - Concrete Foundation

Refinishing Concrete Floors - Concrete Foundation

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes

Greetings - I am closing on a duplex at the end of the month which is on a concrete pad foundation. I am really interested in trying to figure out an affordable Do it Yourself method to make these floors the actual floors. They are currently carpeted, I just really do not want to go back to carpet. This is a long-term hold - I am okay spending more now for a good solution that will last several years. Thank You!

1Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

Here is new construction we just finished with stained concrete floors 

I also just stained existing concrete floors in part of an office building built in 1975. It has a lot of character markings, but I really do like how it turned out.   

Neither was DIY, but hardly anything I do is. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    There are garage floor coatings that are almost indestructable , there is a system for thinset concrete finishes . And always ceramic tile . 

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    I will check that out  Thank You, @Matthew Paul

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    11y

    Your choices depend on whether its above or below grade.  Above grade, you have few limitations.  Hardwood will require a vapor barrier and screeds.  Screeds are boards that run perpendicular to the direction of the finish flooring.  You (typically) glue or nail them to the concrete, then nail into them.

    Below grade you need to avoid hardwood, but still could install pretty much anything else. 

    Laminate is a choice in both locations.  That would probably be my starting point.

    We refinished part of our basement with concrete paint, after our great flood.  I'm not a big fan.  It looks OK, but you are clearly walking right on concrete.  I think this may turn a lot of potential tenants off.  Its is very sturdy, though.

    What are typical floorings in this area?  You don't want to put your unit at a disadvantage because of an unusual floor.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Jon Holdman - The concrete pad is above grade, I haven't had a chance to look under the carpets yet as there are tenants in both units. Good to know about the laminate. I just put Allure Ultra Vinyl Plank flooring in another buildings unit and so far I am not too happen with it considering how expensive it was. 

    Typical floors for the area are carpet. I have one house with old hardwood, I ripped out carpets, cleaned the hardwood really well (no refinishing) and the tenants love it - it's very rustic looking. Vacancy is essentially non-existent. When I was redoing floors in my other building I had three people stop and ask me if the unit was going to be for rent in the future and give me their numbers. I wouldn't even have to advertise to find a renter and my rents are above market, it's nuts. I have no concern whatsoever over the floors turning someone off to the unit as people can't find rentals anyways. 

    Will keep doing my research - thank You!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    11y

    The concrete finishing is relatively easy and not very expensive.  It is a job.  You have to rent a floor buffer and the special prep wheel.  Grind it off with that, then an acid etching, then primer then the paint.  Different types of paint have different procedures.  If that works in your area I'd really consider doing that.

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    11y

    @Zach Schwarzmiller,

    you could always try outdoor carpet. if anything, you just ...hose-it out... :P

    now if memory serves me right, ssome BPers posted some pictures of finished concrete floors. i think one of @John Klaus house posts...

    but googling pictures always  helps

    oh and continuous success. you are a man with a purpose my friend...

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Here is new construction we just finished with stained concrete floors 

    I also just stained existing concrete floors in part of an office building built in 1975. It has a lot of character markings, but I really do like how it turned out.   

    Neither was DIY, but hardly anything I do is. 

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Here's the 40 year old floor stained with no color or tint.  It's had many floor coverings in the past, most recently glue down commercial carpet.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    Here is new construction we just finished with stained concrete floors 

    I also just stained existing concrete floors in part of an office building built in 1975. It has a lot of character markings, but I really do like how it turned out.   

    Neither was DIY, but hardly anything I do is. 

    Jon:

    They look great.  Is there radiant heat in those floors?  

    Up here - where winter tyres are just coming off - the mere mention of finished concrete floors makes people wince ... unless they are over a conditioned space (such as above grade stories in a commercial building) or a well insulated slab with {hydronic} radiant heat.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Roy, it's in Austin where there is little need/demand for radiant heat.  No fireplace in it, either.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    11y

    Those look really good, @Jon Klaus.  One of the King Soopers (Kroger) stores here has a similar finish.  I think that looks better than the paint we did.

  • Jackson, TN · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 21 votes
    11y
    I tried to get it done a a duplex once. However, the slab was rough. That, plus I was told it was more expensive with existing construction because of getting the large equipment around walls and doorways. Finally, it was going to create an additional cost because the shoe molding/trim would need to be redone because the concrete is lower than the existing carpet. I wasn't happy with any of these answers, but I ended up moving on a going with ceramic tile throughout. There are some renters of these duplexes who prefer carpet, but if they were a good prospect, I'd get them a rug. Most people have though they showed a quality that other owners didn't have. It's been a win-win for me because of the durability. I'd have still loved the stained concrete but I just couldn't get it done cheaper or faster than tile. In single family for higher end stuff I would not do tile everywhere.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Tile. If it is a nice place, use travertine... 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Klaus  I LOVE that house!!! Everything about it is spot on. What color did you use on the walls? Is that house on Investor Deal Diaries? I don't remember seeing it. Also, that kitchen (bar) at the counter, details? 

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @Jon Klaus - Both of those floors like really nice. Thank you for sharing everyone/ I am going to rip up carpets and see what it looks like under and evaluate from there!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Jon Klaus  I LOVE that house!!! Everything about it is spot on. What color did you use on the walls? Is that house on Investor Deal Diaries? I don't remember seeing it. Also, that kitchen (bar) at the counter, details? 

    Karen, just listed, and just got contracts on both sides. Stained concrete on both units downstairs.

    http://urbaneastbuilders.com/property/1603-sanchez...

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    11y

    @Zach Schwarzmiller

    If you're not at a high price point, check out the vinyl "wood planks." This is being put in more and more rentals and most tenants are really happy with it. 

    It's about $1 per square foot for the product and $1 per square foot for the install. It's an easy DIY solution if you want to do the work yourself. Buy an extra box, if one gets damaged, pull it up and replace it.

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_33259-84875-WD4011_0__?pro...

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    Thank You @Lynn Currie- I will go check it out!

  • Developer · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    google "paper bag floor". Super cheap on materials. Just butcher paper and poly.

  • Investor · Southaven, MS · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I have done one SFR in stained concrete and have decided not to repeat it on any others. My reasons why are;

    1)My rentals are mainly solid blue class neighborhoods and these tenants where not familiar with finished concrete.

    2) Home does not show well in winter.

    3) Finished Concrete is not maintenance free and it can be damaged.

    Personally I don't like the feel of tile throughout house so I don't do it.  However I do know it is done sometimes in my market.  I have played with the idea of higher grade vinyl (wood look) but  cost and fear of durability has kept me with carpet.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    Tenant is out as of this morning! The concrete isn't in bad shape; however, when I pull out the tack strip from the carpet, it's leaving holes in the concrete. I went to Home Depot and it was a young lady who told me to use a filler (feather something), and then use a commercial stain in the building department (she said the paint stuff was cheap and not effective). Anyone have any thoughts on my repair work for holes where tack strip nails were at? In order to successfully remove the adhesive that was put down, should I use an acid cleaner on the concrete?

    Thank You!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Zach Schwarzmiller

    You can get a cement mix (premix or dry) specifically for patching holes in slabs and walls.   Normally, for small holes, I would use an epoxy caulk, but where you plan to stain and polish the floor, you might want to use the cement.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 14 votes
    11y
    Zach, I recommend staining the concrete. It requires cleaning the floor, taping up walls with a barrier to protect the walls and baseboards, adding a stain, then adding a sealer. Concrete is my favorite flooring personally. Even ceramic tile can chip. Concrete is nearly indestructible. Here is a recent project where someone recently removed carpet from their rental and stained their floors. The imperfections on the concrete give it character. Even the holes from tack strips can be left alone and stained. Besides the quarter round molding should cover some of that up. Concrete is the way to go.
  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Zach, I recommend staining the concrete. It requires cleaning the floor, taping up walls with a barrier to protect the walls and baseboards, adding a stain, then adding a sealer. Concrete is my favorite flooring personally. Even ceramic tile can chip. Concrete is nearly indestructible. Here is a recent project where someone recently removed carpet from their rental and stained their floors. The imperfections on the concrete give it character. Even the holes from tack strips can be left alone and stained. Besides the quarter round molding should cover some of that up. Concrete is the way to go.

     Hey David - the photo didn't come through, would love to see it though!

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    11y

    If still considering stained concrete you can do a border in a complementary(darker) color to hide the nasty bit from the tack strip repair. A rented floor buffer with concrete sanding pads will remove the glue and leave a nice clean canvas to start with, but be prepared for a way to manage the dust from the buffer. A big shop vac or powerful fan and all the windows open has worked for me in the past. Or check to see if someone is offering the polished concrete service in your area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.