My Flip is NOT Selling! - Help!

My Flip is NOT Selling! - Help!

Allen, TX · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes

I wanted to post this to see if anybody gave me some ideas on what to do to overcome this challenge.

So I bought a house from a wholesaler that needed rehab last Feb, I went through the whole full rehab, the rehab was not easy at all, as I had the misfortune of dealing with two very bad contractors who blew my budget and took way too long to finish the project.

Anyway, I have with one of those 6 month hard money loans and it will be up in the next couple of month. I am completely out of time and now this thing is in the market but it is NOT moving. I have not had any showings and it is listed at the same price ARV that the appraiser gave me when I first acquired it.

I am utterly desperate for a solution, as it's been on the market for 2 weeks almost, and there is simply no interest. The realtor has held an Open House, we've dropped the price twice already, in the description we say that we are super motivated, so people know I am negotiable but still nothing! There is a house that sold nearby, NOT updated, for almost the same square footage that I am selling mine, and mine is fully updated. Theirs has 1 less bed and 1 less bath and those people were under contract in no time.

At this point, at the price that I am at, I am only making just a little bit, which is so depressing because the rehab was so incredible hard, and for buyers not to show any interest, I am in disbelief.

Anybody has gone through a similar situation? How did you get yourself out that mess?

Any ideas in general are very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

0Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Ind Kon

Something is missing from this equation. A rehabbed house not selling for at least what the non-rehabbed house with fewer beds and baths sold for? No offense, but you're leaving something very important out of this scenario.

The market didn't change that dramatically in 90 days so if you're not getting any showings, you better revisit the price. Keep in mind that the only person who cares whether you're making a lot of money, a little money or taking a hit...is you.  You should have a broker open house with food and perhaps some prizes, but to win, each agent/broker MUST give you written feedback on why they believe the house isn't selling.  It's really hard to offer advise without photos and details on market conditions.

Is the property staged?  

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2015 · 145 posts · 53 votes
    11y

    @Ind Kon

    You have not given the BP community much to work with related to your property. There have been lots of good ideas from the respondents. One thing I did not see discussed is your price. Please ask your realtor or title company for a market condition report for Allen. You want to see if your asking price is in a range that has high DOM. Yes, even here in DFW there are price ranges that are not performing.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    Either priced too high, or it is functionally obsolete in some way. Does it back to a major street? What do your MLS pictures look like? Were they shot by your agent, or a professional?

    What are your other comps telling you? How many other actives within a half mile? Etc Etc Etc... lots of missing info here.

  • Allen, TX · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank you so much for all the inputs! I seriously mean this, thanks for your time, to each one of you, that you took out of your busy day to write a response to me. I think I have a plan now that I can follow. We went by the property today and changed some things to give it more curb appeal. My realtor will be holding more open houses this weekend. Thanks again and I will keep you posted!

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ind Kon:

    Thank you so much for all the inputs! I seriously mean this, thanks for your time, to each one of you, that you took out of your busy day to write a response to me. I think I have a plan now that I can follow. We went by the property today and changed some things to give it more curb appeal. My realtor will be holding more open houses this weekend. Thanks again and I will keep you posted!

     Good Luck!

    Hope you get the offers you want this weekend.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Steve Babiak

    I think most fix and flippers have been spoiled the last 2 or 3 years.. if the house does not sell in 30 days its panic's ville.. don't know this area but it happens were a prop will go a little longer... I mean I have a new build in Oregon on the coast that is spectacular and its been 45 days.. what's with that LOL... however my fix and flips in Texas have all sold within 30 days generally but some are taking a little longer.. I have had a few sale fails last minute that started the clock all over.. but we are cash so no money meter running.. one of the benefits of a JV partner as opposed to a HML chugging up interest daily.. I have been both> and I have for sure been the one who made money and the developer lost or got nothing.. its the risk you take

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @Ind Kon

    There is one magic in real estate and thats always the price.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    As a newbie I would seriously like to see at least a picture of the front of the house so these fine people who have spent their time answering your question really might be able to give solid assistance instead of guessing.  (even though their guesses all sound excellent!)

    Please?

    :)

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I don't even care about a picture, if the property is listed, then I'm assuming there are pics up on the listing. However, as others have stated, we need the address to even begin to assess the issue.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    11y

    I would need to see the listing, but general rule is:

    1.  Low interest = Price or location issue

    2.  Tons of Interest, no offers = Something is wrong with the property.

    Have your agent call all the other agents who showed it and see what the feedback is on the property.  An open house will most likely not sell your house, open houses are for agents to find new buyer clients.  

  • Investor · hampton, VA · Member since 2009 · 428 posts · 249 votes
    11y

    I feel for you brother. But dropping price b4 u add agent bonus won't allow u 2 raise the price again.  I've had to dump a house so bad in the past I've offered a $10k agent bonus.  I think u may need to give it a bit more time. 45 days ain't bad at all.  Im sure it'll go!!!

  • Harvest, AL · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    This is one reason I haven't started my venture into Fix and Flipping.  FEAR!!!! What if it doesn't sale?  What if you can't qualify to have it refinanced so I could rent it?  What other exit strategies could you use?  FEAR of not selling and losing the property is holding me back.  Any advice from you guys who have been through this?  Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us newbies.

    -Brian

  • Professional · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ind Kon:

    What is the 'average days on market' for similar properties in the same zip code or area? A realtor or someone with local access to the MLS should be able to give you this information.

    For the county where you are located (if the property is there), it seems to be in the 40+ day range based on what data source you utilize. So if you have just listed the property for 2 weeks, that technically shouldn't be cause for panic based on what the market average is. 

    The problem seems to be the delays with the rehab which you say took some 6+ months. Contractors can often be a thorn if not managed properly and kept focused on the project. 

    You may be preyed on if you get too desparate but with a 'hard money' loan accruing interest, the panic is understood. Some sort of numbers though may help assess your condition.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    @ind non 

    Why not fire your realtor and hire the one that sold the in updated house next to your flip?

  • Investor · St. Johns, MI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Ind Kon I'm going through the same thing right now, but mine has been on the market for almost two months. What ended up happening with this??

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.