HELP!!! Major sewer leak under slab unexpected!

HELP!!! Major sewer leak under slab unexpected!

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 142 posts · 44 votes

I have a rehab property here in Garland and I finished the foundation only to get the call from the company telling me I had a leak.  Of course I got a second opinion my neighbor who owns a plumbing company to go out and he also verified yes, sewer leak.  They ran the camera and there are multiple leaks throughout the home.  The house is cast iron plumbing large tree roots have grown into some of the plumbing we believe because the camera hit dirt and would not push through.  I did not account for this at all.  Please tell me my options here on all levels!!! They quoted $15,000 to redo all the plumbing. Oh my, no way!  1463 sq ft home.  Btw I have not put any flooring down I left that to do last of course, if that matters in the options I have.

So, does anyone know another company, another solution.  Can I sell the house without the warranty for the foundation and still get a conventional buyer???  The house plumbing works wonderfully.  I am totally at a loss here on my next move and could really use some advice.  I thought I knew all the BIG TICKET ITEMS, apparently I overlooked a major one!!! Wow do I feel like a fool!  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks so much!  I need to figure something out like yesterday! 

0Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Jamie,

The real problem is the cast iron pipes.  They rust and deteriorate, which can make repairs difficult to impossible.  If the pipes have copious amounts of dirt in them, the quote makes sense, because they have little to no way to find all of the leaks.  I'm not sure where @Mark Gallagher came up with $150, because that will cover just the supplies, assuming a sleeve type of repair.  The major cost in almost all plumbing issues is labor.  Busting out sections of the foundation, digging down to the pipe and then doing the repair, covering and rebuilding the foundation are all quite labor intensive.  

Did you not get a home inspection prior to closing?  At the very least the inspector should have told you there were cast iron pipes, which would have raised a flag of concern.

Also, the leak may or may not prevent underwriting.  It would likely depend on the type of financing.  However, you know about the problem, so you would have to disclose it.  Any savvy realtor will advise their client to get a quote and then ask for you to either make the repair or reduce the price.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    There is a pretty innovative solution to repairing cast iron sewer lines without trenching.  It is also cost effective.  The method is called CIPP (cured-in-place piping), where a resin coated lining is run through the damaged cast iron, after being cleaned, and is inflated until it cures.  The new lining uses the old pipe as a 'mould' and adheres to the walls, decreasing the original diameter slightly, but claims to be stronger then the original sewer line.  I have been fortunate thus far and have not actually used this technique, but there are plenty of videos demonstrating the process.

    In the DFW area both Baker Brothers and Accurate Leak and Line offer this repair.  I am not affiliated with nor know the business practices of either of these companies.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jamie Wooley I know this is an older thread, but I have a house in Mesquite with a very similar issue. I would love to know what your final decision / solution was.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Alan Postel what have you done with your issue?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.