Fiberglass shower floor repair possible?

Fiberglass shower floor repair possible?

Investor · Columbia, MO · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 25 votes

I have a fiberglass shower surround that has a hairline crack in the base. It's been too long and the floor underneath is soft so I can't inject epoxy and reseal it. There is a guy locally that does this and has great luck, but he wouldn't warranty this one because of the subfloor being too soft. Is there any good alternative to seal it and get a few more years out of it? As far as I know my only option is to rip it out and redo it but thought it was worth asking first. Thanks

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
10y

I'm afraid you just need to tear it out, fix the floor and start over.  If you wait, the floor damage (and mildew) will only get worse and may spread elsewhere. 

When you set the new unit, make sure to support it from underneath. A common method is to lay a bed of mortar under the pan. That way, the fiberglass floor will not flex when stepped on, which may be why this unit failed.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y

    I'm afraid you just need to tear it out, fix the floor and start over.  If you wait, the floor damage (and mildew) will only get worse and may spread elsewhere. 

    When you set the new unit, make sure to support it from underneath. A common method is to lay a bed of mortar under the pan. That way, the fiberglass floor will not flex when stepped on, which may be why this unit failed.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    Your big problem is the subfloor.  You need to replace the sub floor and start over. Sorry!   

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Yes as the other members stated, you will need to replace the subfloor.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Not to mention a tenant falling through the floor while in the shower could be a hell of a lawsuit. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    10y

    I Agree with the consensus. Instead of mortar to support the tub base I use window and door great stuff and have had great success.

  • Investor · Columbia, MO · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the input. I might try the Great Stuff rather than a mortar bed.

    JD, it's not nearly that soft. It's just a little soft on the edge where the crack was. I had the ceiling opened below during remodel and from below you can't tell. Even if the subfloor got soft I don't know how the fiberglass base would give way, they're still pretty solid.

    Thanks again.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.