How do I remove pet urine odors from hard wood floors

How do I remove pet urine odors from hard wood floors

Investor · New Kensington, PA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi, we are buying a home that smells like dog pee.  The hardwood floors are stained in every room (3 bedrooms, living room, dining room).  My plan is to put new pergo in the living room/dining room and carpet the bedrooms and hallways.  I am not going to try to restore the hardwood floors so I dont care if they get ruined if I apply a odor removing chemical.  What application will remove the odor from the floors in the home?  Is there any type of plastic or shield I can install under the new pergo floors and carpet that will lock the un-reomved smell in?  Thank you for your advise.  

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2015 · 330 posts · 191 votes
10y

To remove the pet urine stains, I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on the stain, covered it with a hydrogen peroxide-soaked rag, and then covered that with plastic wrap and let everything sit overnight. In the morning, the black stains and odor were gone, and I was able to sand and refinish my floors.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I'd rent a drum sander and sand them.  Trying to cover it all up and masking it will probably be a mistake.  It will float up one warm day next year and make someone keel over!

    If not interested in sanding (and I don't blame you) you could try TSP and water. Work it in with an acid brush and rinse. There are also quite a few enzyme products out there, but working in an abrasive mix of TSP should help a lot. Good luck!

  • Investor · Almont, MI · Member since 2015 · 360 posts · 302 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Steve Vaughan sanding the floors should solve the problem since the staining only usually goes so deep in the wood. Always works on our rehabs no matter how bad it smells. Then you can lay your flooring over.

  • Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2015 · 330 posts · 191 votes
    10y

    To remove the pet urine stains, I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on the stain, covered it with a hydrogen peroxide-soaked rag, and then covered that with plastic wrap and let everything sit overnight. In the morning, the black stains and odor were gone, and I was able to sand and refinish my floors.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    Be sure to determine if it soaked into the sub floor or not, and also if it soaked into baseboard or walls too at perimeter of rooms. If so you might need to remove hardwood and baseboard, and paint subfloor will Kilz paint to seal in odor, then put down new wood floor. If you leave any pee soaked areas it will just come back and will be noticeable like mentioned above. I really HATE per urine odor! I can't tell you how many homes I've looked at that smelled horrible because of pets.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Common bleach solution does well,  50/50 mop the floor, let stand several hours and then rinse with clear water (you said you didn't care re the finish).  Following day use the KILZ sealer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.