YOU HAD A BAD DAY

YOU HAD A BAD DAY

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

What was your January 1, 2016 like?  Well let me tell you about mine.  At the end of the year I had a little spare cash sitting around but I knew that I needed to get at least 3 houses, maybe four roofed this summer.  Then I saw an add at Menards for shingles on sale that were being discontinued.  I really wanted a certain color of them since I had done a deck and back porch in that color.  About 350 miles away I found a store that had a lot of them, so I got online and ordered 50 squares plus roof wrap, ice gard, plastic cap nails, roofing nails, etc.  Well that is a lot of weight so I borrowed my friends large brand new dump trailer set up to haul over 15,000 pounds of weight.  I bought an adaptor for my truck wiring, checked the brakes, checked the tires, checked the lights and headed to get it.  I had to cross the mountains and it was a bit icy.  When I got the shingles I headed back home going well below the 80 mph speed limit due to the weight.  I took a longer less steep route home.  A little over halfway home things went bad fast.  The trailer suddenly began fishtailing wildly throwing the pickup around.  By hitting the gas I could pull it in briefly but it immediate fishtailed wildly and one cannot slow down going down a long hill by constantly hitting the gas.  Eventually the side of the road seemed the best place to be but the trailer decided to take us a different direction and pulled the truck back onto the interstate so it could flip in the middle of the road.  It was an amazing ride, one I hope to never repeat.  Imagine over 3,000 shingles flung across the interstate.  Eventually multiple tow trucks righted the trailer and I and other kind passerbys threw shingles onto it and my truck.  The result of the investigation showed the ball had broken off the hitch.  The back of my truck had many jab marks knocking large dents into it.  The ball had a single weld thinner than you little fingernail.  Apparently even 2 5/16 inch balls have light duty models.  I borrowed one my friend used as the one I usually used was loaned out.  I had C class I should have had used a B class.  The chains that kept my truck tied to the 15,000 pound trailer down the long hill were amazingly strong, and never broke.  The emergency break away brake set never kicked in as the lanyard was longer than the truck safety chains.  The tow truck bills, hiring a semi to take the trailer home the next day all added up.  Since I only had liability insurance on my beautiful 22 year old truck nothing was covered, not the trailer nor the shingles.  Five thousand dollars of shingles, three thousand in towing and hauling fees, a new dump trailer to replace the one I broke, and more labor to try to salvage some of the shingles changed my New year cash surplus into the biggest cash hit since I started investing.

    A couple of things I would like to share with you.  

Be very careful in inspecting your equipment and check the weight rating on the ball of the hitch, I never knew they had one.  The tow truck driver had seen 3 such failures that year.  It had 3 different sizes of balls on it, and was bought for only $19.99 at O'Reillys.  My last hitch was $39.00 for a single ball.  You apparently get what you pay for.

Check your insurance.  I thought the borrowed trailer would be covered by my insurance it was not.  Don't tow until you know.  I normally use an old four horse trailer for hauling shingles but this load was too large.

Don't get cocky and think that a $5,000 reserve will be enough to get you by just because it has been years since you had a major problem.  I was lucky and had the ability to cover the money in a line of credit.  I had hoped to save about $3,000 on shingle costs by buying early.

Last, if you see a guy with an upside down trailer in the middle of an interstate with over 3,000 shingles flung about please stop and help him, he has had a bad day.

  I was very lucky in that many kind folks stopped and helped and all made sure I was was OK.  I hope to salvage about half of the shingles, the problem is the plastic wrappers on the back blew off when they scattered.  So even undamaged shingles will melt onto whatever they are stacked on as soon as they warm up very much.  You cannot really do a roof in January very well in Wyoming.  Thanks to real estate investing I had the ability to weather this storm.  If needed I could use the equity I built up in a property to cover it, still the loss of an amount equal to gross rents for 3 houses for a entire year is an unpleasant thing to consider.

This brings up a final thing I think all investors need .... resiliency.  There will be good times, there will be bad times.  Like a marriage you are in for the long haul, not just the fun exciting times.  Hard times will pass and you will be stronger for having endured them.

Thanks for listening and I hope I have helped some of you avoid some of the problems I related.

Please feel free to share a story of your own of bad days that came and how they passed.  I would also appreciate any advice on what to do with a few thousand shingles that have a few chunks missing and upon getting warm will turn into a huge melted blob.  I am thinking I should try to roof a garage or 2 that don't leak but are looking worn.

14Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

@Jerry W. wow sorry to hear about that issue.  I too, bought shingles at Menards for a project when they were on sale before Dec 24th.  But my contractor picked them up at the yard.  I wouldn't undertake such a huge project myself! (Either that or I'd have them delivered.)

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Jerry,

    Wow, rough rough day.  On the bright side, no matter how bad a day is, we should be glad that we're still here and have many things to be thankful for.  

    As a Buddhist, I remember the saying...If we cannot find peace within ourselves, we will not find it anywhere else.  I'm glad you can look back and laugh about the incident.  Thanks for sharing and reminding us how rough it can be......at times.

    Happy New Year!

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    For some reason when something bad happens to me my mind goes blank.

    Franklin

  • Investor · New Waterford, OH · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Wow, bad day for sure.  Glad you got out safe!  One wrong whip of the trailer and it's throwing the pickup off, too.  My neighbor was talking to me one time while I was trying to hook up, and I forgot to close the latch on the ball.  Luckily I was empty and was only on the edge of town when it came off.  It bounced everywhere like you described until I was able to get it stopped (can't forget those safety chains!).  The front of the trailer hit my hitch when I was slowing down, so I was really lucky that I was able to avoid any damage to my tailgate and bumper, too. 

    I definitely use the highest rated equipment I can find.  I don't usually get anywhere close to the load rating, but I don't want to risk it being worn out from rust or fatigue.  Can't forget the better hitch pins, too!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    So glad you weren't hurt, my friend.  Us DIYers sometimes see our good ideas and good intentions work out 'differently' than planned lol.

    I have had days like this as well. Resiliency is key, as you mentioned.  Just glad you're ok and still have your great attitude @Jerry W.! 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closed thanks for taking the time to post a comment.  It's funny how it is easier to relate to folks on this site who are thousands of miles away than it can be to local friends.  I know folks who have investment houses here, but most are retired and do not live locally, and one I spend more time teaching than truly discussing.  It is comforting to talk about things that others in your life do not understand.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks for the comments everyone.  @Steve Vaughan I know you work on your houses a lot also.  I hate it when we work so hard to save money then have a dumb thing cost so much.  I did break down and was able to find a crew to help do the unloading and stacking in the warehouse.  The $500 to $600 was better than having a sore back for 2 weeks hehe.  Now to try to get some shingles on roofs.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Mary B., thanks for the kind words.  It gets easier to put in perspective with the passage of some time.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry W.:

    @Mary B., thanks for the kind words.  It gets easier to put in perspective with the passage of some time.

    Glad to know that you're alright...

    Kudos,

    Mary 

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry W.:

    Be very careful in inspecting your equipment and check the weight rating on the ball of the hitch, I never knew they had one.  The tow truck driver had seen 3 such failures that year.  It had 3 different sizes of balls on it, and was bought for only $19.99 at O'Reillys.  My last hitch was $39.00 for a single ball.  You apparently get what you pay for.

    Sorry to hear about your 'event'. But....if there's any good from it, I read your tale of destruction, went out, checked my ball hitch, it said 5,000lbs, and considering I've only started towing recently and am already reaching close to 5,000bs on the trailer on a regular basis, went out and bought a 14,000b towball and class 4 hitch just to be sure.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.