• Houston, TX
Votes |
First rehab - contractor went MIA

Jimmy Chin
  • Software Engineer
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jan 9 2016, 21:27

Hey everyone,

I'm currently rehabbing a property for rental and my contractor is now MIA. I've tried calling, texting, and emailing but I'm not able to reach him at all. This has gone on for a week now and he has left a lot of work unfinished. What I'm perplexed about is that this guy was supposed to be a reputable contractor but he has disappeared on me all of a sudden. I don't have any more time to wait around and hope that he returns my attempts to reach out so, in all likelihood, I would need to find another contractor to finish off the job. Is there anything that I can do legally? I've already paid him a good amount of money for the work and he's basically only done half of what he's already cashed. Also for the HVAC system, I paid him the 50% to start the job already but he hasn't done any work at all. What are your thoughts on the next course of action? Here are the items still to be finished:

- flooring

- countertops

- bathrooms - faucets, showerheads, accessories, etc

- any other associated plumbing, electrical, or clean up work

I'd greatly appreciate any advice! If anyone knows of a fairly priced contractor for this type of work in the Houston area, then please let me know!

Loading replies...