Journeyman Plumber here, any questions ask away!

Journeyman Plumber here, any questions ask away!

Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
Did plumbing for 7 years before moving to sells, I still own a plumbing company on the side. I can do my best to answer any plumbing questions. Ask away.
1Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Monrovia, CA · Member since 2012 · 219 posts · 79 votes
10y

Unfortunately gang ,there are "cocky and arrogant" individuals in any ,practice,trade,endeavor or profession.Plumbers with a disagreeble arrogant and surly nature do not last long where I come from.It is highly competitive here in So Cal.You gotta be a "Superstar".

Having said that,,,there is also a Code of Honor amongst tradesmen in any town or city.We all know who the good guys and the bad guys are.The bad guys are "disowned" and get put on the blacklist,,,they do not get referals or reccomdations from reputable contractors.We also watch them very carefully and inform our friends at the supply house,,,,do not give these guys credit,do not recomend them,,,they are trouble.We know "The Good,The Bad and the Ugly".But get this,,,good guys tend to hang together and refer each other.They also tend to join credible contractors associations like the PHCC Plumbing Heating and Cooling Contractors Association.

Heres a tip ;if you are fortunate enough to identify and hire a good licensed plumber,he will usually know and be able to recommend a good electrician,HVAC man,carpenter,tile setter,painter,concrete and masonry contractor,locksmith,roofer,landscaper,,,you get the picture,,,,

Oh Yeah about that business of "plumbers savings lives".Well,,,

That is a true statement,,,,that fact is,,,

"Plumbers have saved more lives than Doctors,,,,"

An old American Standard slogan was "Plumbers Protect the Health of the Nation",,Well,,,

Its kinda corny guys but it's TRUE,,,,

Why ? By inventing and installing safe hygenic waste water ,drainage systems,sewage treatment systems ,instant hot water and potable filtered water systems thru out the nation.

Hey ,all you folks who are fortunate enough to travel the world and take vacations to exotic places like Thailand ,Russia and Brazil,,,,,aint it great to finally get home and open up the kitchen sink tap and have a nice clear glass of water without having to worry about a case of the runs for the next 3 or 4 days? If ya been there u know what Im talking about,,,,

"I love this country,,,!!!"

My Best Regards Gang and Happy New Year

Dave Doyle

Los Angeles

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    @Austin James

    Yeah I had a plumbing come out and quote $2,500 to install a new water heater. He said they would need to have a chimney company come out to line the chimney which would be about $1100. He said to bring it to code the chimney had to be lined.

  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Watson Hilaire The big for the heater sounds a bit high, but keep in mind I'm in a very very different market than you.
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Austin James How much would you charge for labor to install a pressure regulator at the water meter if all the trenching had been done and everything was exposed?

  • Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
    10y
    I'm constantly having to hire plumbers to make minor plumbing repairs. Installing garbage disposal, installing dishwashers. Typically from clogs or having to change out a sink when installing new granite etc. etc. Are things and I should attempt to do on my own? It's all PVC.
  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael McCartney:

    @Austin James How much would you charge for labor to install a pressure regulator at the water meter if all the trenching had been done and everything was exposed?

     If everything is trenched and i just have to install and test. I'd charged $250-300. If all the work has been done for me that would be a easy job. But if parts are needed costs are different. 

  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    10y
  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Nason:

    I'm constantly having to hire plumbers to make minor plumbing repairs. Installing garbage disposal, installing dishwashers. Typically from clogs or having to change out a sink when installing new granite etc. etc. Are things and I should attempt to do on my own? It's all PVC.

     Yes! As much as I hate to advise anyone to not get a plumber ha! All that stuff is super super easy. Company charge 150-350 to Change garbage disposals. It's a 35-55 part and takes 10-20 mins. Dishwashers are simple as well a drain hose and supply hose, and simply basic electrical. If you ever need help I would always be happy to take a phone call or a FaceTime if I'm not busy. Hope that helps 

  • Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
    10y

    I agree, it all seems relatively easy and I feel like I got punched in the gut every time I pay someone to $250 to reconnect the sink or install a dishwasher. I am 24 units so it happens a lot. Thank you you've given me confidence to try it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.