Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
Can anyone recommend the best type of floating floor to put down in a rental? What thickness/durability rating do I need? What style is most desirable to renters these days (light, dark, modern, classic, ect?) Where is the best place to get deals? I'm hoping to spend around $1.2-1.7/sqft. Also any recommendation on bathroom/kitchen tiles would be appreciated.
Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2012 · 588 posts · 224 votes
10y
You don't say if this is high end or low end. I don't do carpet. Either tile or vinyl plank.
You could do an engineered hardwood in that price. I don't use laminate in my rentals but u could easily do it n your price range.
I have also gone to vinyl sheet flooring in my lower end owner finance homes.
Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2012 · 588 posts · 224 votes
10y
Also I like the darker Cherry color but I've heard the lighter stuff hides wear better.
On tile use ceramic or porcelain with the smallest grout lines you can get away with.
Sandy, UT · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
10y
I always think it's a good idea to check out your competition. What is installed in similarly situated properties? You can't go wrong with making the rental as neutral as possible. I'm not a fan of subway tiles. But they are a popular, durable choice and people who watch house flipping/design/staging shows on cable will be familiar with the look. My vote would be to use them in the kitchen and bathroom. Don't add a border; it's one feature that will make the decor look dated. As far as flooring is concerned, I've heard good things about TrafficMaster Allure, but I have no experience with it. I do have experience with linoleum plank flooring. I found it to be durable and attractive.
Peoria, IL · Member since 2011 · 365 posts · 182 votes
10y
I like to use:
The hardwood that's under existing carpet (if you get lucky)
The existing carpet. I have an amazing carpet cleaner guy. I don't like to install carpet.
Ceramic/Porcelain tile.
Vinyl Plank Tile: when cost or subfloor bounce doesn't lend itself to tile. Vinyl plank is especially great for small or oddly shaped rooms, especially bathrooms. Get the thicker click-together variety from Home Depot.
Sheet Vinyl: Medium to low-end kitchens, and basements.
Brewerton, NY · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 5 votes
10y
I own a flooring store and install my self. The best flooring for a rental basement would be indoor- outdoor carpet that is very cheap. For kitchen and bathrooms I would go vinyl, and for bedrooms I would good with a decent carpet like plush.
Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
10y
Im using Traffic Master Allure, its $1.49 regular price at HD, for the darker one, and $1.89 for the more tile look stuff i use in kitchens and baths, holds up well so far, and looks great, also its pretty easy to lay, a tape measure, speed square, and a utility knife. also a heat gun will let you pull a piece out if you have to.
Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
10y
I was planning to get laminate flooring. How does vinyl plank flooring compare and what are the benefits over laminate? Is vinyl plank flooring more durable or easier to install than laminate? Does it have a (somewhat) realistic wood look/feel to it? Thanks!
I was planning to get laminate flooring. How does vinyl plank flooring compare and what are the benefits over laminate? Is vinyl plank flooring more durable or easier to install than laminate? Does it have a (somewhat) realistic wood look/feel to it? Thanks!
Ray,
Good vinyl plank looks only a little less like wood than many laminates. The big advantage is it is non-absorbant and inorganic, making it great for basements or other environments prone to high humidity or water ingress (it won't bloat and grow mould).
To add to your list. One of my preferred floorings for bathrooms, laundry or kitchens where the subfloor is not stable enough for ceramic or porcelain tile is linoleum {not to be confused with sheet vinyl which is often mistakenly referred to as linoleum}. Linoleum is made of renewable ingredients, naturally resists bacteria and moulds, it durable and the colour usually permeates through the material. (it is frequently used in hospitals, retirement homes, daycares, etc for these reasons).
Here's something I'm going to try out on my upcoming rental rehabs.
It's furniture grade plywood ($ 11.50 for 4'x8' sheet at HD) cut into 4'x4' sections and alternate grain laid. finished with 3 coats of poly.
I love the way it looks in this picture and by gosh, I'm going to copy this ;-)
Michaela:
I looked at a house back in the autumn where the owner had done that for floor in the eat-in kitchen (he used 2' x 2' squares). The floor was ~10 years old and was still holding up well.
Here's something I'm going to try out on my upcoming rental rehabs.
It's furniture grade plywood ($ 11.50 for 4'x8' sheet at HD) cut into 4'x4' sections and alternate grain laid. finished with 3 coats of poly.
I love the way it looks in this picture and by gosh, I'm going to copy this ;-)
Michaela:
I looked at a house back in the autumn where the owner had done that for floor in the eat-in kitchen (he used 2' x 2' squares). The floor was ~10 years old and was still holding up well.
That's good to know. It's probably be good to buff it every few years and maybe add another coat of poly.
I'm sick and tired of carpet and I don't want the expense of installing hardwoods.
Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
10y
I looked at vinyl plank. It looked and felt just fine, but is much more expensive than laminate, and doesn't look or feel as nice. The salesman said the laminate is just fine for humid conditions, and is more durable. They also said vinyl is more prone to pealing off.
I looked at vinyl plank. It looked and felt just fine, but is much more expensive than laminate, and doesn't look or feel as nice. The salesman said the laminate is just fine for humid conditions, and is more durable. They also said vinyl is more prone to pealing off.
Take a piece of laminate and lay it in a 1/8" of water for 48 hours ... this is why it's not a great choice for basements, kitchens, laundry rooms. Some of the higher end laminates are advertised as having a non-absorbent high density core, but we've not put one through its paces yet (for a similar cost, we could install hardwood or stranded bamboo).
Quality vinyl plank should not peel off. The finish surface will be measured in mils (12 - 40 mil). Laminate on the other hand is typically sold by plank thickness, which is measured in mm (viz. 8 - 15mm)). The durability of the finish layer is rated by Abrasion Class (AC). BTW: In a rental stay away from the cheap 6-8mml laminate and anything rated lower than AC3 or AC4.
We've installed both Allure and a commercial grade vinyl plank in student houses. After 5-years in student bedrooms and a kitchen, it looks just fine. There are a few dents in it, but nowhere have the tenants scraped though the finish surface.
Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
10y
I just realized that the floor in the apartment I'm currently renting is vinyl plank. It's got a great look and feel, but it scuffs so easily. Anytime anyone wears dark sole shoes over, the floors are all marked up after they leave with black marks that are very hard to scrub out, and I have new abrasions on the floor practically monthly. It's also very hard to clean, you have to really scrub it very throughly to get the dirt out, and some dirt really sticks to it and needs a product like Goo Gone to get out. I'm the first tenant the installed it for, and it's very worn now after only a couple years. It also seems to be a lot more expensive than laminate.
I just realized that the floor in the apartment I'm currently renting is vinyl plank. It's got a great look and feel, but it scuffs so easily. Anytime anyone wears dark sole shoes over, the floors are all marked up after they leave with black marks that are very hard to scrub out, and I have new abrasions on the floor practically monthly. It's also very hard to clean, you have to really scrub it very throughly to get the dirt out, and some dirt really sticks to it and needs a product like Goo Gone to get out. I'm the first tenant the installed it for, and it's very worn now after only a couple years. It also seems to be a lot more expensive than laminate.
Ray:
Yes, there is junk vinyl out there just as there is junk laminate.
Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 56 votes
10y
What flooring do you folks use on units on the second floor for sound abatement of footsteps? I don't like carpet at all, but find a hard floor upstairs can be pretty disturbing for the downstairs tenant.
I just realized that the floor in the apartment I'm currently renting is vinyl plank. It's got a great look and feel, but it scuffs so easily. Anytime anyone wears dark sole shoes over, the floors are all marked up after they leave with black marks that are very hard to scrub out, and I have new abrasions on the floor practically monthly. It's also very hard to clean, you have to really scrub it very throughly to get the dirt out, and some dirt really sticks to it and needs a product like Goo Gone to get out. I'm the first tenant the installed it for, and it's very worn now after only a couple years. It also seems to be a lot more expensive than laminate.
Ray:
Yes, there is junk vinyl out there just as there is junk laminate.
Are you saying you don't have any of these issues? I got some samples of some good quality vinyl and was able to easily damage them in the same ways.
Are you saying you don't have any of these issues? I got some samples of some good quality vinyl and was able to easily damage them in the same ways.
The installations in our student houses are not showing any such issues. There was a local restaurant who had installed a poorly finished commercial vinyl plank (dark expresso in colour) and after a couple of years they had white lines everywhere from chair legs. In that case the vinyl colour did not permeate all the way through - at the very least the manufacturer should have used a dark coloured base.
It appears from your above posts that you do not care for vinyl and do not wish to use vinyl plank. In that case, you should not use it.
There is nothing wrong with using a quality laminate as long as its not in a wet area. One of our recent student houses had a new laminate (a mediocre 8mm product that was not AC rated) floor installed in the foyer and central hallway when we acquired it. By the entrance the laminate is already bloated and cupped from snow melting off boots. We plan to cut an area out of the laminate this summer and replace it with linoleum or tile to prevent the damage from spreading (the water will continue to wick along the laminate).
There is no one-size fits all flooring; each has its own strengths and weaknesses and there are poorly/cheaply made products of all flooring types.
I looked at vinyl plank. It looked and felt just fine, but is much more expensive than laminate, and doesn't look or feel as nice. The salesman said the laminate is just fine for humid conditions, and is more durable. They also said vinyl is more prone to pealing off.
Well that salesman was being a salesman.
I disagree with that opinion on laminate vs vinyl plank durability. For damp areas it's not even debatable.
The thicker click-together vinyl plank at Home depot is indestructible and $2/Sq ft. The mechanics of the install are the same as laminate, but it's a bit easier.
Are you saying you don't have any of these issues? I got some samples of some good quality vinyl and was able to easily damage them in the same ways.
The installations in our student houses are not showing any such issues. There was a local restaurant who had installed a poorly finished commercial vinyl plank (dark expresso in colour) and after a couple of years they had white lines everywhere from chair legs. In that case the vinyl colour did not permeate all the way through - at the very least the manufacturer should have used a dark coloured base.
It appears from your above posts that you do not care for vinyl and do not wish to use vinyl plank. In that case, you should not use it.
There is nothing wrong with using a quality laminate as long as its not in a wet area. One of our recent student houses had a new laminate (a mediocre 8mm product that was not AC rated) floor installed in the foyer and central hallway when we acquired it. By the entrance the laminate is already bloated and cupped from snow melting off boots. We plan to cut an area out of the laminate this summer and replace it with linoleum or tile to prevent the damage from spreading (the water will continue to wick along the laminate).
There is no one-size fits all flooring; each has its own strengths and weaknesses and there are poorly/cheaply made products of all flooring types.
I'd prefer the vinyl if it were more durable, and appreciate you bringing it to my attention, but from what I've noticed in my own unit it's far less durable and very hard to clean. Maybe it's just this type, but the ones I've seen in the store don't seem any different.
I looked at vinyl plank. It looked and felt just fine, but is much more expensive than laminate, and doesn't look or feel as nice. The salesman said the laminate is just fine for humid conditions, and is more durable. They also said vinyl is more prone to pealing off.
Well that salesman was being a salesman.
I disagree with that opinion on laminate vs vinyl plank durability. For damp areas it's not even debatable.
The thicker click-together vinyl plank at Home depot is indestructible and $2/Sq ft. The mechanics of the install are the same as laminate, but it's a bit easier.
Well the vinyl was far more expensive, so had they wanted to just make more money they would have pushed the vinyl on me. Which ones do you consider indestructible? I got some samples of the more expensive ones from Home Depot and was able to very easy scuff and scratch them.
Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 184 votes
10y
@Jeff Berg. Just a thought that for the second floor I install porcelain tile over cork to deaden the sound and is required down here in Florida in most condo communities. you can also use the cork under wood laminate as well for the floating floors. It acts as a sound barrier and is easy to install after pulling out the carpets.
@Jeff Berg. Just a thought that for the second floor I install porcelain tile over cork to deaden the sound and is required down here in Florida in most condo communities. you can also use the cork under wood laminate as well for the floating floors. It acts as a sound barrier and is easy to install after pulling out the carpets.
There are synthetic & rubber underlays for sound treatment as well, but they are very pricey and in our limited experience do not work any better than cork.
I am curious about cork under ceramic/porcelain tile. I would be worried about too much movement and cracked grout lines. Do you tile directly over the cork or place the cork under a decoupling membrane or layer of subfloor?
Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 184 votes
10y
You have to use cork mastic to glue down the cork and tile directly over it with multi-purpose thinset. You will not get any cracks in your grout lines and my preference is larger sized rectified tiles which can be installed with 1/16 inch grout lines. Do not use regular thinset which is cheaper but it doesn't compare to the multi-purpose. Have a great new year.