I found a window when I ripped out the shower...

I found a window when I ripped out the shower...

Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 51 votes

I started the remodel on a 6-plex I recently purchased. Last night I began tearing out the bathroom in vacant unit #6. Check out what I found behind the shower surround when I removed it...

.

So here's my dilemma... What do I do with this window?

My plans had been to simply install a new fiberglass bath/shower surround, however I don't feel right about just covering up the window like that. Not to mention it looked terrible from the outside. The previous owner had all the insulation covering the window. 

Below are the options I see available to me currently. Keep in mind this is probably a C property. Although, my goal is to make it nicer than you'd expect for this property and hopefully charge on the higher end of acceptable rents for the area. Currently, the property has some less than stellar tenants in place at well below market rents. My plan is to spruce up the property and attempt to attract nicer tenants and get rents up to market.

Option 1: The building is a brick exterior. Leave the window where it is but replace with a vinyl window. Install a corian slanted sill for water drainage and install a tub with tile surround. 

  • My concerns with this option are that the window is REALLY low, so it will have more water exposure than a higher window would. To help remedy this, I could maybe move the shower head piping to the right side of the tub to hopefully reduce water on the window? Not sure that would really help though.
  • My other concern is cost. I feel like going through all the effort of tiling a surround in a C property might be overkill.

Option 2: Leave window where it is but replace with glass blocks. My concerns are still the same- higher cost and effort to tile the surround.

Option 3: Cover it up again. Install a new shower surround that covers the window again.

  • I feel like this is a ghetto way to do it, but maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it? I feel that I would still want to replace the window though while I have the shower out since it would be much easier. I also don't want to have the look of insulation pressed up against the window, so not sure what to do there. Maybe I could install a faux outdoor A/C vent grill to cover up the window??

What do you all think? Any gems of wisdom for me? 

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 29 votes
10y

glass block is great.  Here's my bathroom that I just remodeled.  

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    I have a glass block window in my shower and I love it because it lets so much natural light in.   The actual window is there on the exterior to keep the original look to the house,  but on the inside it's glass block.  That would be the option I would choose.   

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y

    err, you know that the person using the shower is going to be naked in a window, right? Might be looking for a very specific type of person here.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Frame up the bottom half of the window opening if you want to keep one, and put a smaller window.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/281055-closed-on-2 We found the same thing! We cut a hole around the window, in the process of framing it in. We then had the tub and surround repaired and refinished. Although I wanted to tile, we went this route due to time and the labor involved.
  • Investor · San Marcos, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 360 votes
    10y
    The nicest option would be to make it a smaller window. I wouldn't want an inaccessible window there in case a kid decides to break it out. I think the options are to make it smaller or brick it up. I wouldn't do the glass blocks for the same reason. I personally would take it out and brick it up. It would be Murphy's law with that particular window getting broken. Windows in showers will only be a long term expense.
  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    glass block is great.  Here's my bathroom that I just remodeled.  

  • Architect · Bloomfield Twp, MI · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    do you have an exhaust vent in the bathroom?  If not, a frosted, operable, vinyl window would be preferable to glass block with a small vent opening for reduction of humidity and aesthetics.  Glass block for security/safety and durability.  Do you happen to know what is common in your area?

     I assume you are getting permits/inspections for this work?  Unfortunately sometimes a new window will require a second site inspection/fee.

    Not sure what 'd do in your shoes... maybe take a look at your local habitat for humanity store, if you can get an awesome deal on a window that'd help

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    "Do you have an exhaust fan in the bathroom?" is the first critical question to answer.  Typically you are required to have either an operable window or exhaust fan in the bathroom per your local codes. Verify with local codes. If you have an exhaust fan then you can clearly infill the window with whatever you want.  If you don't you have to make the window operable or add and exhaust fan.  Now you have to pick the lesser of the 2 evils. 

    You have several options... I have seen glass block bottom with operable window above.  A window in the shower can be a maintenance pain in the ***.  I have one in my rental but I have wood trim, ugh.   You may want to consider tiling the wall which allows the window to be installed easier.  Do not trim the window with wood molding like mine is (again UGH!).  Corian sill is good option if you don't tile the walls otherwise till window sill.  If you do a window, I would go with fiberglass frame over vinyl and never wood in a shower. 

    If you infill the window, I would go with studs and insulation.  I would bite the bullet for brick to infill the window.  I would guess the brick and window would be at about the same cost but you would have to hire out the brick work.  You can tile a tub pretty cheap yourself.

    I had an old original 1935 wood window in my tub/shower.  The wood trim was a pain to keep from rotting and paint from coming off.  I replaces the window with a fiberglass window from Marvin's Integrity model and love it.  About every 2 years I have to strip the wood and repaint.  I didn't want to retile the walls as of yet but I will be soon.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Tuscumbia, AL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Put a closed blind in the window then insulation and cover it up. From the outside it will look like a closed window blind. Maybe not the best solution but probably cheapest. Also keeps you from having to add " are you an exhibitionist?" To your rental application. lol You could also frost the glass with spray on or peel and stick film. Let us know how you solve it.
  • Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the input everyone. The bathroom does have a vent fan, although I need to remove the cover and verify whether it actually vents outside or not. For all I know, this guy could have just stuck the vent fan in the ceiling and it's blowing into empty space in the ceiling. I'll check on the and update when I get a chance.

  • Architect · Bloomfield Twp, MI · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Jim - How did you get the "Architect from..." after your name?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    Here's what I did at one of my rentals. 

    This is how it looked when I bought it:

    I didn't like having such a low window or a window sill that would always be getting wet, but I still wanted to let light in and to have a window that could be opened for ventilation.  So this is what I turned it into:

    Came out pretty good I think. 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    The easiest and cheapest solution that doesn't look ghetto is to add the obscuring film to the inside of the window and put a new bath surround back in.  It will just look like a regular obscured bathroom window from the outside as long as you keep the insulation from resting on the glass, which is easy.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jim Adrian is correct and I might note that most codes require the bottom of the window be a specific height from the tub or shower; the idea is a person can not fall into the window.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    If you go with a window, adjust the height for privacy for women, around ~54" high.  Use obscure glass as well.  I had to add a frosted window film because I didn't like the level of transparency.  My window was low as well.  You can get a roll of this a the big box stores.  I got a scrap for the local glass shop which was free.   I have seen plastic drapes an mini blinds to help keep water off the sill for privacy.   I haven't seen anything specific on required window height nor did I look to hard either.  I don't design residential professionally.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.