Is there a rule of thumb for estimating cabinet replacements?

Is there a rule of thumb for estimating cabinet replacements?

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes

I put an offer on an SFH for a BRRRR property and it needs some cosmetic work to say the least. Assuming our offer is accepted we're going to have a GC give us an estimate but I was curious if anyone had a typical number to use ($/lf) for cabinet and countertop replacement. This is in an Atlanta suburb by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Sam 

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
10y

i generally install my own cabs, I like doing kitchens, I will look at what i need, and I know about what each one costs and I just add it up in my head, I also know about what counter tops will be depending on size, then I add 20% for error.  for example, I know a 36" sink base is about $250, and a 18" base is about $150, and a 12" upper is $100, if you take pictures, you can draw it out, go to Menards or HD and look at the stock one to get an idea, always estimate high. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Ball Ground, GA · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Really depends on the grade of cabinets you put in. Prices can vary widely. 

    What kind of countertops were you wanting to put in? granite? formica?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Brad Woodall:

    Really depends on the grade of cabinets you put in. Prices can vary widely. 

    What kind of countertops were you wanting to put in? granite? formica?

     Hey Brad! Definitely formica.

  • Investor · Ball Ground, GA · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    you could be anywhere from $10-20 per sq ft for formica/laminate. If your counters are small enough and you can install some of the prefab pieces from the big box stores, you can install them pretty cheap.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    I heard somewhere that 100 dollars per cabinet is ballpark...perhaps you can verify for us! :)

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    One cabinet could be 12" another could be 48", how can per cabinet pricing be accurate? Even per sf is vague. Good luck though 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    10y

    i generally install my own cabs, I like doing kitchens, I will look at what i need, and I know about what each one costs and I just add it up in my head, I also know about what counter tops will be depending on size, then I add 20% for error.  for example, I know a 36" sink base is about $250, and a 18" base is about $150, and a 12" upper is $100, if you take pictures, you can draw it out, go to Menards or HD and look at the stock one to get an idea, always estimate high. 

  • Investor · Richmond, BC · Member since 2013 · 316 posts · 133 votes
    10y

    Not knowing the price of cabinets seems to be a real red flag to me. Saying that your GC will come in later to do an estimate pretty well confirms that you are putting yourself in a very dangerous situation. You need to have a pretty good idea of the cost of repairs you will be doing, and a very good idea of how much you can sell the house for afterwards, because, as Brandon Turner has tried to drill into us, you determine your OFFER price with those numbers, not by what looks like a good deal. If you don't have 'The book on estimating' and 'The book on flipping houses' from the menu above, that might be a really helpful place to start. If you don't know the price of cabinets it means you may not have had a chance to do enough homework yet and that will put you at a huge disadvantage because 1.) contractors, for whatever reason, may not be accurate, or even close, with their estimates, and 2) realtors, also for reasons of their own, may be over-optimistic about the ARV. Saying "cosmetic work, to say the least" can cost from $1000-$10,000. Per room, if there are problems you're not seeing.

    My ignorance was very badly taken advantage of, first, by low estimates and high price tags, and then the sale price being 30% off (yes, of the total sale price), so unfortunately, my advice comes from bitter experience. A very expensive lesson that I hope you won't need to go through.

    My very best wishes that this works out well for you, but, at the very least, get lots of evidence of your ARV so you dont spend too much, and write up ironclad contracts with your GC, making sure to include time frames. Good luck.

  • Investor · Richmond, BC · Member since 2013 · 316 posts · 133 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Ahn

    The books and 'homework' above might be interesting and helpful for you too, comparing $100 to the knowledge of the numbers @Scott Schultz above has available for easy access. There's lots of fun stuff you can do for preparation.

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    When just doing a general quick estimate for cabinet cost, we usually go with $150 Ln/ft.  Obviously, there's many different factors when it comes to things like quality, drawer bases, pullouts, etc.  It doesn't take much to visit a few places, and look at some full kitchen sets online.  Educate yourself on the different levels of quality.  Even though it's a rental, doesn't mean to go ultra cheap.  I see a lot of these rentals with particle board cabinet boxes that are always sagging inside, and just about always will have water damage in the sink base, because all it takes is just a small leak for particle board to get crappy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    10y

    @Samuel Botts  I suggest on a day your kinda board or one of the HOT GA days you dont wana do anything, stroll the isles of HD and Lowes in the cool A/C and just absorb materials prices, and for labor, just double materials and add 20% for the Oh $h!T stuff, i like to use 20% as a fudge factor, it normally gives me enough room if i missed something, and if you get something at a bargain, or you get a good contractor for cheap, Bonus for your wallet.  

    Up here we have Menards, they are generally 10% cheaper than HD or Lows, but the quality isnt always the same.  But i can pretty much tell you what most things i use regularly cost,  but that stems from 10 years of spending $20-$40K a year there. 

    I also make a list when i walk through, and if im looking at specific stuff i will price stuff online so my numbers are accurate. Oh never bank in sale prices, only use regular prices, as you may not have time to wait for the sale. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll  be sure to let you know how it goes.

    Kind regards,

    Sam  

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Samuel Botts - go to Home Depot, like I did.  At least in San Diego, a fair amount of flippers seem to get their kitchens (or various components for their kitchens) there as the HD kitchen consultants will tell you. You can give them rough measurements, e.g., 10 ft. x 10 ft. or something similar, and they will price it out for you.   Probably don't try this on a weekend - they will be way too busy.   But if you go at the right time, they can give you a very good idea of what a kitchen would cost depending on your size and chosen materials and you can then pretty accurately ballpark your flips/BRRRs from there.  Like @Scott Schultz, I also always add a 20% fudge factor.   It's a little peace of mind!  Good luck!

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Tina Glover Draw the layout of your kitchen from top view, take a bunch of pictures, send them via email to Builders Surplus in Santa Ana, they'll give you better prices than HD, plus non-crappy cabinets.
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Excellent advice @Manolo D.!   Thanks so much for the hot tip!  My handyman/painter (who is out of Burbank) has also found some other potentially good cabinet deals in Corona and L.A. so I'm looking into those as we speak.   Great info.  Thank you!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    That's awesome. Thanks Tina and Manolo. This is good info!

  • Vendor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Like they have said cabinet pricing varies but if you can get a good quality cabinet for under $100 ln/ft.  When you add in expensive cabinets like drawer bases is when your price starts to increase.  Your big box stores tend to be higher priced then other distributors so I would shop around, but be careful of the deals that are to good to be true with low quality imports and fiberboard toys.  You can message me if you would like more info I am happy to answer any questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.