Exterior wall very close to neighbor's garage

Exterior wall very close to neighbor's garage

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 354 posts · 288 votes

I'm looking into buying a duplex, but one of the units has a 10 foot stretch of wall that is very close to a garage on the neighboring property (less than a foot of clearance). I'm concerned about how to maintain the exterior over time such as patching the stucco and painting. There is also substantial buildup of plant debris between the two buildings so who knows what we'll find if/when we could clear it out.

I'm planning on doing a BRRRR house hack and the unit adjacent to the garage needs substantial renovations. The kitchen and bathroom are along this wall and they both need to be completely gutted and redone.

My questions are:

  1. How concerned should I be about this wall?
  2. If we're gutting the interior side of that wall anyway, should we consider replacing the entire 10 foot section of wall with something more long lasting? If so, what? Brick? We're in California so I'm not sure what the earthquake implications would be or if it's even allowed.

Thanks.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 77 votes
10y
Chris those are all good questions best answered by by the municipal building and code enforcement authority in your area. The narrow path between the two building more than likely violates a building or fire code. You ought to be concerned and investigate further until you are satisfied. The last thing you want it to buy this property and find out after the fact of such issues and end up having to make a bunch of expensive structural modifications to satisfy the building inspector. If you're lucky, the property will pass the requirements as is or due to some "grandfather" clause, but unlikely. I would certainly look into it. On the brick wall question, of all the years I lived in CA, I don't recall seeing any brick homes. I doubt it will hold up well to an good size tremor. Again, the building code enforcement will have the answers for you.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 77 votes
    10y
    Chris those are all good questions best answered by by the municipal building and code enforcement authority in your area. The narrow path between the two building more than likely violates a building or fire code. You ought to be concerned and investigate further until you are satisfied. The last thing you want it to buy this property and find out after the fact of such issues and end up having to make a bunch of expensive structural modifications to satisfy the building inspector. If you're lucky, the property will pass the requirements as is or due to some "grandfather" clause, but unlikely. I would certainly look into it. On the brick wall question, of all the years I lived in CA, I don't recall seeing any brick homes. I doubt it will hold up well to an good size tremor. Again, the building code enforcement will have the answers for you.
  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 131 votes
    10y

    @Chris May

    Before you do anything make sure that the property does not have any zoning issues. In the past I have found that properties situated like you have said have zoning issues and an inspector will make you cease all work and you will be hung until it is fixed. If it turns out there is a zoning issue, you will need to look into what you can do to fix it. As for the repairs needed, make sure to put the money into the renovations that will draw the tenants you want and allow you to cash flow.

    Regards,

    Allen Fletcher

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Since they're so close, is one property encroaching on the other's property? If so, is there an easement in place? It sounds like a pain to deal with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 354 posts · 288 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the responses. The property is in an urban area and many homes have exterior walls that run along the property line. The unique part here is that two adjacent properties have walls that run along the same property line... Definitely the first time I've run across that.

    I will definitely be checking with the zoning department if we get into contract. 

    On a more practical level, assuming the zoning is grandfathered, how does one maintain an exterior wall like this? I've seen similarly close homes in San Fransisco and always wondered how they dealt with the small space between the homes. I'm assuming there's an answer, but my searches online haven't turned up anything.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 354 posts · 288 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    Since they're so close, is one property encroaching on the other's property? If so, is there an easement in place? It sounds like a pain to deal with.

    The garage definitely looks unpermitted, and judging by the construction of the garage and the duplex I'm looking at, I'm certain the garage was built second. However, they both look like they're easily 40-50 years old. The entire neighboring building looks like a junk yard so I'm not hopeful the owner would be much help resolving the issue.

    I imagine the garage will be grandfathered in, but it might be worth asking a lawyer what the options are there. Last thing I want is an earthquake causing the garage to collapse my newly renovated duplex.

  • Engineer · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Chris May

    It is concerning as far as the allowed setback from the structure is concerned. To my understanding, a 1 foot setback separating your wall from another structure based in boundary line is not allowed. Best to check with your planning department. Also, check the original Survey Report that measured and described the boundary line.

    Bricks are not a good exterior siding material for residential structure in California. Since your are planning a major renovation, make sure all your structural joints are installed with earthquake retrofits.  To make your internal/external siding resist both the shearing and axial earthquake response, you may have to install at least 5/8 inch thick plywood. You can have external sidings in either stucco or fiber cement for strength and less maintenance.

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2010 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I have a garage on a property I own that is one foot from the property line/fence and one foot from the neighbor's new and taller stucco garage.  My garage is probably 40-50 years old and has cheap fiberboard siding on that side, yet because of its protection from the elements it is in better shape than the north side which is totally exposed.  

    As far as materials, I'd look at hardiplank lap.  I put it on a commercial building I have which is in what used to be a swamp in Virginia in 2005 and haven't painted or repaired it since.  It gets insane heat and moisture too.

    Regarding zoning, I have another house here in Denver with a garage 1 foot from the property line that I just built last year.  Zoning made me put on 5/8" drywall under the hardi as a one-hour fire protection.  A little extra expense but no big deal.  A good contractor should be able to replace the wall for you using header supports.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.