The Sad Truth About Flipping Houses

The Sad Truth About Flipping Houses

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 17 votes

Hey Guys!

I wanted to share some knowledge I learned with you on this beautiful Saturday here in Fort Worth, Texas. I live only a couple blocks away from the TCU stadium and so I can hear when the big plays happen. This is a very electric atmosphere. Anyways, I have been into real estate investing for about 13 months. I have flipped 6 houses, built 3 houses and have 18 doors for rentals (just picked up another duplex). And I have been contemplating whether I am doing the right thing or not. But I found my solution through a mentor which is stated below. It was vague, but that was his intention. 

So I had a guy on BP ask me a series of questions about my flipping and holding strategy and this was my final message in the DMs. 

The last question he asked is if my strategy is short or long term?

"Long term. My strategy is all long term. You have heard before that real estate is not a get rich quick game. And the only way to truly become rich is through long term holdings. But, don't let that scare you, you get paid every month too!

The way I see it is this: If I flip a property and make 25k, I only make 25k, one time. But when I get a property for free (through financing), own 30% equity (free through financing), and charge a $1200 rent, I can make my money back in about 5 years. You do that 20 times in a year for 5 years, you have some serious cash flow and have enough earning power/assets to do anything you want. Ever.

This whole thought process started with one of my mentors, who is worth around $500m, asked me 6 months ago: "Beau, why are you selling your houses. Why would you want to give away net worth?"

And I thought about it. Best described in an example: say I make 25k off a 100k flip house. But through financing I can retain that house for FREE and have had a 30% equity, or 30k (increase your net worth). So technically, I am making LESS money up front selling the house (25k cash vs 30k net worth), and loosing infinite money down the road through rent and property increases.

The way to make your money back through retention is to slap a home equity line of credit on that house. Usually around 70-80% of your equity holding which would be 21-24k disposable money for business. So, what would you rather have? 25k profit up front OR 21-24k profit up front, a 30% equity stake and rent for many years to come?"

9Reply
534 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

And I thought about it. Best described in an example: say I make 25k off a 100k flip house. But through financing I can retain that house for FREE and have had a 30% equity, or 30k (increase your net worth). So technically, I am making LESS money up front selling the house (25k cash vs 30k net worth), and loosing infinite money down the road through rent and property increases.

Sounds like a guru pitch to me...  The only way you're losing "infinite money" down the road on the flip is if you're throwing away that $25K in profits.  If you invest that $25K in profits for -- let's say -- 10% compounded return, that $25K will be worth $40K in 5 years, $64K in 10 years and $168K in 20 years.  

Of course, you have to factor in taxes and you have to be able to make 10% compounded returns (which hopefully most good real estate investors and business people can do)...but, the math is still pretty simple.  If you need cash flow to sustain you as well, then just do the math for a longer compounding time.

Ultimately, there is more than one way to get rich/wealthy in this business.  If your mentor is telling you otherwise, find a new mentor...

See this reply in the discussion

81 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 128 votes
    10y

    Great post, @Jonathan Godes!!  I started to take issue with the OP, "especially with the 400,000 people moving in this year", but as you so eloquently put it, if he won't listen to J. Scott, it is rather doubtful he would listen to me.  Thank you for the time and effort you put into your response.  Even if the OP does not take heed, your post will be helpful to many others!!!!!

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Great thread! I have to say it is interesting seeing so many different perspectives and opinions, as well as a glimpse of the mindsets investors have from both ends of the experience spectrum. While I share the OP's enthusiasm and desire to grow my empire, I do heavily believe in learning from and listening to different perspectives, even when they clash with your own. I find it very educational to see the numbers and "facts" that commenters' are throwing out to justify their position. I think this thread might have a few nuggets of insight for those to choose to read logically instead of emotionally.

  • Engineer · Monmouth Beach, NJ · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tony Gunter:

    I am a little surprised you are able to find a HELOC for an investment property. Maybe I don't get out enough...

    Also, it seems like those appraisals always comes in lower than expected when comparing a refi to a buyer coming in to buy the newly renovated property. That is another kink in the plan, as I have found out myself. This is even on buying using the standard flip criteria. The appraisal is the weakest link in the plan IMHO. However, that said it is still a great plan to work.

    TD Bank will let you HELOC your investment properties, but they charge higher interest and closing costs than an owner -occupied property. Did you have an appraisal issue with a heloc property?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    I just found this thread, unfortunately read most of it and now I have an infinite headache!

    Please send me all those homes that I can buy for $90k, only put $6k into them and they are magically worth $150k. I will buy the first 100 tomorrow. 

    @J Scott would you like to share a bottle of Advil? I have a feeling you have a headache too.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    I just found this thread, unfortunately read most of it and now I have an infinite headache!

    Please send me all those homes that I can buy for $90k, only put $6k into them and they are magically worth $150k. I will buy the first 100 tomorrow. 

    @J Scott would you like to share a bottle of Advil? I have a feeling you have a headache too.

     How about the ones that cost 30k fee grand for rehab and rent for $1000?

    I would like 7 of those Please

  • Real Estate Broker · 1505 Elizabeth Blvd Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing, these provides some knowledge to investors like forthomebuyers since they buy houses and do the same thing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.