New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
I have an entry way floor that I am trying to figure out what to do with. Sorry I don't have a picture, but let me explain.
It's a two-family home. The floor I am referring to is when you open the outside door into the hallway leading up stairs to 2nd floor. It's about 30-35 sqft.
Right now it is old beat up looking hardwood. I was thinking about laying over vinyl floor tiles. (my thought is that it would be good to do this to protect wood against snow/rain, etc.
Options:
1. Should I lay vinyl floor tile over it?
2. Should I just stain it and throw a poly over the hardwood?
3. One piece vinyl floor?
4. Anything else?
Doesn't need to look "pretty", just needs to have good utility and make sense for this high traffic, possibly "wet" area (since it's the first floor directly from outside)
Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 102 votes
9y
The last thing you want is a tenant slipping on a wet entry floor and suing you. I'd go with a surface that provides some slip resistance, like a rough tile or carpet. If you lay a rug over your refinished wood floor, just make sure that also does not come up and provide a slipping hazard. You can get inexpensive commercial-grade carpet floor runners and mats at your local Office Depot. Then you would have both the nicer look of the refinished floor with some slip resistance.
Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
9y
Whatever you do make double darn sure it isnt skate board slick when you have snow on your shoes walking in which is 'normal' winter conditions. Had a couple floors that looked and acted fine dry,,,and was a wicked mess when wet with snow. No sense testing your liability insurance before you need to.
PS. I see some really attractive travertine at the box store but wonder how hard that is to keep the pores clean??? And as said the floor support is crucial/ NO floor flex. Cement board underlayment really quiets any floor and firms it up