What to do with Entry Way Floor

What to do with Entry Way Floor

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes

I have an entry way floor that I am trying to figure out what to do with. Sorry I don't have a picture, but let me explain. 

It's a two-family home. The floor I am referring to is when you open the outside door into the hallway leading up stairs to 2nd floor. It's about 30-35 sqft.

Right now it is old beat up looking hardwood. I was thinking about laying over vinyl floor tiles. (my thought is that it would be good to do this to protect wood against snow/rain, etc.

Options:

1. Should I lay vinyl floor tile over it?

2. Should I just stain it and throw a poly over the hardwood?

3. One piece vinyl floor?

4. Anything else?

Doesn't need to look "pretty", just needs to have good utility and make sense for this high traffic, possibly "wet" area (since it's the first floor directly from outside)

0Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
9y

Tile. Easy to install, easy to keep clean and lasts for ever. Always use a dark colour grout in traffic areas. Darker the better.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Western Springs, IL · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    What type of rents are you getting? Are the tenants going to be expecting one piece vinyl or a nicer material? Personally I would try to refinish what's in place and then put a couple good coats of poly on it. If you have wood now, it's probably been there for a while.

    I'd also think about doing some natural Slate tile for a higher end look. But if you go with tile(and possibly vinyl) make sure that you clear all doors. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Tile. Easy to install, easy to keep clean and lasts for ever. Always use a dark colour grout in traffic areas. Darker the better.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 415 posts · 272 votes
    9y

    Refinish the hardwood, and have that work include a filler such as Woodwise Full-Trowel Wood Filler, which a contractor used on a floor I had refinished. The filler takes care of all the irregularities in old wood. Then make sure the tenants have a good rug by the front door.

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Chris CarolloI'm getting $875 for rent. I would say it's a B-/C+ neighborhood, but great tenants and I truly maintain my property. I just purchased the home, so I am slowly working on updating a lot of the common areas are rehabbing both units. 

    When I purchased, it was a one piece vinyl flooring stapled over the hardwood. I removed that and now want to make it more presentable. 

    Tenants would not be expecting ceramic tile, but I am willing to install if you think it would be the best option (utility wise)

    Thanks @Thomas S. I actually never even thought about putting down real tile. That is definitely an option.

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Bob H. The one thing I was worrying about with keeping it wood is the water and possible damaging the wood over time. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    try vinyl planks they can lay right over the floor easy to install and inexpensive

    https://www.builddirect.com/Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-R...

  • Investor · Beachwood, OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Try commercial grade carpet squares. You could find them at your local carpet store warehouse and see if they have a closeout on them. Cost me about $50 a box and I got two. I found some in my area that was a dollar per sq ft and layed it down in the hallway with double sided tape that I bought at lowes. The carpet should last for years to come and when it get very dirty in about 2 to 3 years just take a carpet cleaner and go over it or replace individual tiles. 

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed How are they to install? Do you need to be skilled in it, or could a semi-handy person do it?

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    they install like laminate flooring cut and click inplace option to glue or float

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    I've never installed laminate flooring. I would consider myself pretty handy, so I would think I could do this as well.

  • Interior Decorator · Canton, MI · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 100 votes
    9y

    Click and  Lock LVT is a great option. Look for one with a 12 mil or better wear layer and a scratch resistant finish like AO or ceramic bead. If you can find it, there are vinyl plank that have a releasable adhesive already applied to them that leave no residue if removed so you could refinish the floor at a later date should you choose.

  • Investor · Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 316 posts · 150 votes
    9y

    You are only doing 30 to 35 square feet.  You may consider putting in ceramic tile if you can get someone to do this at a reasonable price, or you can do it yourself.  I would buy something that looks nice, not necessarily the cheapest, as a dollar extra is only $35 total.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    I like ceramic tile for this.  Its very durable and if water sits on this which it will, it wont rot out or degrade.  Always go with a dark grout (for floors) no matter what the traffic is as it will turn dark from dirt and lack of cleaning. 

    Sheet vinyl and vct are good options as well 

    It all depends on how much you want to deal with in the future.  All should give you a good 15 years on the low end.  Tile being the best preforming.  I would not spend more than $100 in product on this dyi project.  Figure $2 per sf for product on any of the 3 options.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    If you go with tile make sure there is no spring in the floor, tile is not very forgiving. Make sure you use the separation membrane under the tile.

  • Architect · Sydney, NSW · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    Speaking from experience of living in a snowy country.

    If you install tiles then snow and rain will turn into dirt, it can get slippery, the dirt will eventually dry out but will be visible. Who is cleaning the floor in this area? If noone then tiles will be always dirty even if you choose a suitable dark colour.

    If you install carpet, it will not be slippery but after some time the carpet will need to be replaced. But carpet looks nicer.

    If you install vinyl, you can turn it up at the walls like they do in restaurants to create a cove. It is easier to clean with a mop.

    You can combine tiles or vinyl with a rug if someone will vacuum the rug.

    Also have a door mat outside.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    I like the idea of leaving the wood. I think if it is finished with a good poly and a rug over it it should be fine.

  • Investor · Beachwood, OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Carpet squares are easy to install just have straight edge, tape measure and a good pair of scissors. If not then I agree completely with Mary Lou. Put down polyurethane to deter water then put down outdoor rugs throughout the hallway. Don't spend too much on it because tenants certainly won't care to clean and vacuum often.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    9y
    Allure Vinyl Plank Flooring. Inexpensive. Water Resistant and comes with a good warranty. Pick it up at Home Depot and it will take you less than an hour to install in that space.
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    9y
    Then when you sell the property take off the vinyl (allure sticks to itself not the floor, it's a floating floor), and refinish the wood.
  • Livingston County, MI · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Hey Robert P. I installed quality stick down tiles in my entry way. These are really thick and very sticky, I believe they ran about 1.45/sqft. They are 1ft by 2ft tiles. And the cool thing is, is that you can space them out with the little tile spacers and use grout, and be totally waterproof. They won't break, and you don't have to worry about the spring in the floor. I was going to tile my floor but the whole floor was essentially 3/4 particle board with a thin plywood sub floor and they were ran with the joists instead of perpendicular. To fix that I would have had to either rip up the whole bottom floor of my house, go underneath and jack them up, or double up the floor joists. Instead I just screwed the floor down the best I could and put the vinyl tile down with grout. And it looks great. It's the trafficmaster ceramica 12x24" coastal grey vinyl tile flooring from Home Depot.
  • Rainmaker · Naples, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Tile... Install a layer of hardi board with screws @ 6" OC intervals. You can find good looking 12 x 12 tile @ an box store for .60 / sf. Any squares, carpet or vinyl, will get H20 in the cracks where the tiles meet, and eventually fail. Poly on wood works, but will also require future maintenance. If it is the main entrance for 2 units, people are moving in and out, linoleum is easily damaged moving large objects in and out. Tile in an earth tone color, is a final solution installed properly.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 239 posts · 177 votes
    9y

    Definitely tile.  Takes a beating, and you can find surplus, easy to install boxes everywhere for cheap.  Especially if its only a small area.  If youre worried about grout getting filthy, tighten up the grout joints as well as use a dark grout.  Also, agree with @Mike Dittman about the hardi backer, that will be you headache proof solution to having the floor last for a long time

  • Real Estate Agent · Tuscumbia, AL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    commercial grade tile like you see in a school or hospital if that look won't be too clinical for the space. The stuff lasts forever and you can strip and wax it and make it look brand new. Got that tip from Mike Butler's landlording on autopilot  book and thats what I'll be doing next time I replace rental flooring. 

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    I appreciate all of the feedback everyone! Looks like I am going to decide between refinishing the hardwood with some good poly, or lay down some tile...

    decisions, decisions!

  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    With your NE winter weather, carpet probably not a good idea. It will get dirty quick and stay that way. Don't glue or stick anything directly to the wood floors. Tile would be the most durable for sure, but more work than a refinish. We never cover real hardwood floors that still have life in them. Nothing looks better ... (IMHO of course)!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.