Best Cities/Areas in Florida to flip houses

Best Cities/Areas in Florida to flip houses

Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 3 votes

Hi, I'm a broker in Tucson, AZ and I currently flip houses in Tucson, AZ. I will be getting my real estate license in the next few months in Florida and I was just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas as to what the best markets are for flipping house in Florida. My before renovated top end to purchase SFR purchase price will probably be somewhere in the $140,000-$175,000 range. I will be living in an RV initially until I find a great place in Florida to flip homes so I am open to suggestions and can do it from anywhere from the Florida panhandle to the keys. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

0Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 20 votes
9y

That sounds like an awesome way to get over here and live for cheap while you make some great money. I work with a wholesaling group in St. Petersburg, FL. As Catherine stated above, the Tampa Bay area is very hot for flipping houses right now. Our firm sells anywhere from 15-20 properties a month to investors. 

Hillsborough and Pinellas county are just across the Bay from each other. Both boast great potential for all kinds of investment strategies. This consists of anything from section 8 rentals to building new builds. If you would like to talk a little bit more about the current market, I would love to fill you in on what is going on around here. With Tampa being one of the fastest growing cities in Florida, it calls for a lot of potential in investing. Please message me your phone number or give me a call at anytime. I look forward to speaking with you. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Hudson, FL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    I'm a licensed REALTOR, and I've lived in Central Florida since 1977. From what I'm reading and seeing, Tampa and Orlando are good markets for fix and flips. There are still a lot of homes that were caught up in the housing crisis that need rehab, and Tampa and Orlando are expected to continue to grow. 

  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    That sounds like an awesome way to get over here and live for cheap while you make some great money. I work with a wholesaling group in St. Petersburg, FL. As Catherine stated above, the Tampa Bay area is very hot for flipping houses right now. Our firm sells anywhere from 15-20 properties a month to investors. 

    Hillsborough and Pinellas county are just across the Bay from each other. Both boast great potential for all kinds of investment strategies. This consists of anything from section 8 rentals to building new builds. If you would like to talk a little bit more about the current market, I would love to fill you in on what is going on around here. With Tampa being one of the fastest growing cities in Florida, it calls for a lot of potential in investing. Please message me your phone number or give me a call at anytime. I look forward to speaking with you. 

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Colin Mooney.  Thanks everyone for the advice.  As a sidenote I have been to Florida on vacation and for work quite a few times over the years ranging from as far as Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Daytona Beach. Tampa looks like a perfect fit for me right now but for some reason everything I read online says Tampa has a high crime rate?  I don't believe everything that's out there and Tucson, AZ also is said to have a high crime rate but I think Tucson is a great place to live and I have lived here for over 30 years.  It seems like most of the crime here is related to drugs and gangs here.  But the part of Tucson I live in is very nice.  Is it the same deal with the Tampa Bay area? I will be doing flips in the median price range or higher in the Tampa Bay area and don't want to always worry about my houses being broken into.  Your opinion would be great. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 681 posts · 288 votes
    9y

    @Jeffrey Hayes, Hello from Tampa. You seem to have settled on doing Flips in Tampa. Have you gone through Zillow.com using the Zip Code Search engine for houses up to your limit? You can scan the whole County, one Zip Code at a time, if you are rehabbing one house at a time. Do you have any Wholesellers to work with? Do you know a good Agent? You are going to do the work yourself? Are you prepared to do the research necessary to really find a Deal? You want to find a good area to rehab a House? Down near MacDill AFBase where I am finishing a four month repair job on my Rental to Sell, you can get a Tear Down House for around $120K if you look. Residential lots are worth $80K. Most houses are 3/1 or 3/2 around  the older neighborhoods of Tampa. Lots of Rehabers are trying to find anything with some architectural appeal on the East side of the I275 Hwy. to fix up inside like new and try to sell in the high $200K's. They are taking War Zone areas and trying to make "a silk purse out of a sow's ear." I don't know how successful they are, but, I have a simple 3/1 next to the Hwy. that I am going to repair and Sell while the Value is High. The problem is finding the Path of Progress where your property value is really going up. Zillow and other sites can give you a graph and a Heat Map indicator of Sales in each area. You ask about the Crime in Hillsborough and the surrounding Counties. Do you have internet and can you watch the evening news online? You don't have any family or friends here to get a feel for the problem? I have built simple houses in Brazil and we say that "the Construction Business is the worst in the world." The reason is because it is so complicated and easy to steal from the Builder. You think that your empty house, full of material and appliances and tools is not an immediate Target for theft? I just installed Central AC in the house I am repairing to Sell. I rented it for ten years with window units. The new neighbors moved in across the street. Two young couples with little kids. That night they came over with a hand cart and cut the refrigerant lines on the outside compressor and were going to steal it at midnight. My neighbor saw it and told me. I put a lock on the gate to stop that. Your Trades people will steal tools and material. Their Helpers will take things and leave them outside to come back at night to pick up. If you leave a pile of sheetrock or plywood on the driveway, good luck if it is there in the morning. You lock the place up and don't come back for a few days...The gang thing is not a concern in the better neighborhoods. They are there, but, you are not involved. Construction is like this anywhere in the world. Do you watch the Flip n Flop or Flipping Vegas type shows on TV? Have you seen the episodes where they buy the house at auction without going inside and there are good appliances inside? Then, they lock up and come back the next day and someone who knew, came that night and stole them. I have a Tenant that owes me a lot of Rent who showed up after a year, begging for help, again. He promises the world and did give me some money to sleep on an air mattress in the house I am repairing until I sell it. The Motel charges these Roofers $280 a Week for a room near the Base. I get one more chance to get him to go straight with me on the Debt and he saves a lot of money on his Rent. I live in this world of hands on Landlording my Rentals for 30 years. I am doing almost all the work on the two houses I am going to Sell. Every single detail is handled or done by me. Construction has its good side at the end of the JOB when you get the satisfaction of a JOB well done. Real Estate is always good on the day you Bought the property and the day you Sell the property. 

  • New Smyrna Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 70 posts · 30 votes
    9y
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/tampa-is-the-second-best-city-in-the-nation-to-invest-in-real-estate-study/2295940
  • Investor · Union City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Folks, is Tampa still a good market for fix and flips? We are considering expanding to Florida this year. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.