Outlet Covers are the death of me

Outlet Covers are the death of me

Ashley WilsonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Radnor, PA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 125 votes

If you have rehabbed a house, you most likely updated the outlets covers to give that fresh clean look.  If you are like me, you replaced the outlet and the cover.  I randomly stumbled upon this article that is a game changer, and wanted to share it with you all.  http://dreamdesigndiy.com/easy-electrical-outlet-c...

If you already knew about this, I am very jealous of you and the time I will never get back in my life.  However, if you did not know about this little tip (and "Hallelujah" is playing in your head while you are reading the article, like it was in mine) then your welcome.  Hope this saves you the same amount of time/money that I know it is going to save me!  Is it weird that I now am excited to update some outlets???

19Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

DO NOT USE THIS TO COVER A TWO PRONG OUTLET.

(1) any modern 3-prong plug will not fit because the ground plug is missing

(2) anything you do to make a 3-prong plug work is illegal and dangerous as the ground connection is not available.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    That's pretty cool cover.. thanks for the tip.. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 175 votes
    9y

    This is killer lol.

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing with the group. I'll be on the lookout for these and if I cannot source locally, will buy online in bulk.

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    9y
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    DO NOT USE THIS TO COVER A TWO PRONG OUTLET.

    (1) any modern 3-prong plug will not fit because the ground plug is missing

    (2) anything you do to make a 3-prong plug work is illegal and dangerous as the ground connection is not available.

    CAVEAT EMPTOR

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
    9y

    This is amazing - now if I could find these at a reasonable price in Canada...

  • Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    Very nice looking, however I usually prefer to replace the outlet as well. Who knows... maybe it's overkill, but I feel better know there's a brand new outlet with no loose connections on it.

  • Ashley WilsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Radnor, PA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    You're welcome (note autocorrect said "your" in my first post, sorry about that!) @Deanna McCormick, @Tyler Ansell.  

  • Ashley WilsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Radnor, PA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Jeff B. thank you for the tip!!!

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 83 votes
    9y
    Sweet!!!!!! Thanks for the tip
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    DO NOT USE THIS TO COVER A TWO PRONG OUTLET.

    (1) any modern 3-prong plug will not fit because the ground plug is missing

    (2) anything you do to make a 3-prong plug work is illegal and dangerous as the ground connection is not available.

    CAVEAT EMPTOR

     I don't think the OP was suggesting using this product to replace a 2 prong outlet. I have not seen a 2 prong outlet are those in older houses?

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ashley Wilson  Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a pack from the eBay link @Jeff Brower posted. In poking around online (Amazon) I also saw they make a similar cover for light switches. Encapsulates the dirty existing switch with a new one. Cool stuff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Be careful using these on outlets which are recessed behind the surface of the drywall / plaster. Plugs may not hold tight or may not provide a safe, solid connection.

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    If I could give you 10 votes I would! Finishing up a new rental and have half of the outlets to change tomorrow. I will be the first one at Home Depot tomorrow morning! I will be the one jumping up and down yelling "Please let me have these outlet covers"!
  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    Thank you!  And after I paid an electricion to replace half my outlets!  I am using this fix for the rest!  Thank you!

  • Ashley WilsonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Radnor, PA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Allen you're welcome

    @Gautam Venkatesan- You are right, I wasn't suggesting that, but I do appreciate @Jeff B. guidance :)

    @Ryan Murdock that is awesome!!! I will need to order those as well!!! Thank you for sharing with everyone!

    @David Dachtera completely agree...even when we don't switch plates, we always check the outlets to make sure there are safe connections.

    @Jim Shepard hahahaha! I seriously got nerdy excited about switching outlet plates on our current flip.  I probably should have bought stock in HD before I posted this, eh?!?!

    @Jamie Engledow TBH my first thought was now we don't have to pay our electrician a ridiculous (and I mean ridiculous) amount for what was a tedious switchover! I am glad to see we weren't the only ones that will save from this tip!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Just a cheap way to cut corners and look like you installed decorator outlets.

  • Rental Property Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Thanks Ashley,

    I try to always replace the receptacle and covers, but other posts here are correct if it’s a non-grounded receptacle (at least in my area) and the City inspector checks it with his/her tester and it shows open ground – ding, ding, ding replace it!

    But if, not these look like a great quick fix for the correct receptacle style. I live at Home Depot (Isle 1-200 depending on where my coffee from the Pro desk leads me) and have never noticed these before. 

    Thanks for the tip, but knowing me I’ll buy them online for much less.

  • Ronan M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
    9y

    Home Depot has had these for a while. I think I bought them a few years ago for my own house and always use them in my rentals since then. Work wise I don't touch anything electric so they are perfect to get the clean look at a super low cost

    They do take just a little more effort to put the plug in because the plug has to go through the outlet cover first and then into the outlet. They need a little wiggle sometimes...but I am only talking maybe 3 seconds as opposed to 1 second. Well worth it. 

    Great tip @Ashley Wilson for those who were not aware of it.   

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I wonder how a home inspection would go with these, also how a new homeowner would feel if they found them in their home. I have a house now with grounded outlets, but they are old and ugly. Electrician wanted $400 to replace and I have to supply materials (maybe $100 unless I buy the cheap cheap ones). I would be interested if this isn't considered a half a** way to fix something.

  • Flipper · Plainfield, IL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    I guess I'm just not seeing this one. A standard white 15a duplex receptacle is $.48, and a white cover plate is $.20 (not taking into account bulk pricing) at Menards. So for less than $1 including tax. You can replace things the right way.

    If you are even the slightest bit handy you can replace all of the outlets in the house in a couple hours. You should need four tools (flat head screwdriver, Phillips screw driver, wire stripper, needle nose pliers, and a work light). As well as some electrical tape, a few wire nuts, a bit of wire in case the stripped conductor breaks and what is left is too short to strip and needs to be extend a bit. 

    If you turn the main breaker off so everything in the house is dead there is no need to check for live circuits (still good practice to check though). 

    I do understand that I am a contractor that has a lot of experience, but this is really a diy project for almost anyone. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Thank you!

    I have never noticed these at Home Depot, but will make it a point to buy them. Especially, since I've had a handyman, that loved to paint over the existing, perfectly fine, outlets and switches in my rentals. 

    Now, if they would only provide phillips head screws with covers, instead of these stupid flat head ones, where you have to change your bit, then I'd be really happy :-)

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gautam Venkatesan:

     I don't think the OP was suggesting using this product to replace a 2 prong outlet. I have not seen a 2 prong outlet are those in older houses?

     I don't think so either, but yes older homes, even my own built in '62, have two prong, ungrounded outlets and the older the home, the more tempting this solution becomes :sigh:

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Dale Riola.  It's just not that hard to change them out.

    I have concerns with the cover.  I'm picturing whatever I'm plugging in not seating well into the receptacle.  There's a reason why existing covers leave the plug completely open.  

  • Vendor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:

    I wonder how a home inspection would go with these, also how a new homeowner would feel if they found them in their home. I have a house now with grounded outlets, but they are old and ugly. Electrician wanted $400 to replace and I have to supply materials (maybe $100 unless I buy the cheap cheap ones). I would be interested if this isn't considered a half a** way to fix something.

     Its a half a** fix, the receptacles get loose over time. Loose electrical connections get hot, heat tends to cause things to melt and char if not worse.  $400 is a good price, replace the outlets and do it right.  

    Make sure they are qualified or check their work, at that price.  I've seen plenty of handyman/diy receptacle replacements with loose wires that are just as bad as loose outlet connections.

    Covers like these are why investors get bad names.  Don't put lipstick on a pig, do it right.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.