What Kind of Floor Do I Put In My Basement?

What Kind of Floor Do I Put In My Basement?

Real Estate Investor · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 4 votes
So I have a basement that used to get water issues, and I FINALLY got that taken completely taken care of after two years of trial and error (and money).  Now, I can get back on track to finishing the basement as originally planned.  The current floor is 1950's 9x9 asbestos tile, which I am NOT going to break up for any reason.  So, my options are glue-down tiles or what I think I'd prefer is a floating floor.  But I read on BP that floating floors in basements can be problematic?  Has anyone had better luck with one material or another flooring over a basement?   Thanks
0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
9y

@Lou Ruggieri,

alternative thinking:

-clean basement floor to perfection

-waterproof membrane/ couple layers of exterior grade paint (encapsulate any asbestos dust)

-exterior grade carpet : because you are up north/cold floors; if flooded, can be taken out, disinfected and hosed out, dried out, replace back

alternative thinkhing2:

-clean basement floor to perfection

-waterproof membrane/ couple layers of exterior grade paint (encapsulate any asbestos dust)

-treated 1x1 (as "ribs"/"joists")

-lay exterior grade plywood/ost on top of it

-floating floor on top of that: preferred here is Allure LVP from home depot, but many available from reputable manufacturers; probably floor needs to be rated for under grade/basements

or

tile everything and provide rugs + non-slip underpads

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    @Lou Ruggieri,

    alternative thinking:

    -clean basement floor to perfection

    -waterproof membrane/ couple layers of exterior grade paint (encapsulate any asbestos dust)

    -exterior grade carpet : because you are up north/cold floors; if flooded, can be taken out, disinfected and hosed out, dried out, replace back

    alternative thinkhing2:

    -clean basement floor to perfection

    -waterproof membrane/ couple layers of exterior grade paint (encapsulate any asbestos dust)

    -treated 1x1 (as "ribs"/"joists")

    -lay exterior grade plywood/ost on top of it

    -floating floor on top of that: preferred here is Allure LVP from home depot, but many available from reputable manufacturers; probably floor needs to be rated for under grade/basements

    or

    tile everything and provide rugs + non-slip underpads

  • Real Estate Investor · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Dumitru Anton very good thinking. This is why I ask questions here, thank you. I should point out that I have zero water issues any longer so while it may have the normal basement humidity from time to time, there is finally zero leaks due to some very serious drainage rerouting last year. So water is no longer an issue.
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hi Lou, 

    I have laid down solid wood floors in basements by first installing a subfloor. Take a look at this link. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DRIcore-7-8-in-x-2-ft-x...

    You can also install a vapor barrier to prevent cold air, moisture, etc from coming up through. These panels can be pricey but they're meant for sub-grade and you can install anything on top of them (real wood, engineered wood, carpeting, tile, etc.) Being rubber-backed, even if there's a little moisture below, they won't rot or warp. Hope this helps!

    -Dave 

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2011 · 365 posts · 182 votes
    9y
    I like sheet vinyl for basements. Might also help "encapsulate" those tiles a bit. As long as they are in good repair: cover them.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Lou Ruggieri I've had a lot of success in basements with RS levelquick. If your even remotely worried about the asbestos that is the route I would go. It gives you a level surface, and when I had asbestos tiles in the basement we covered with a thin layer of levelquick to keep the inspectors happy.
  • Real Estate Investor · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    So okay, in terms of value, what is the best bet? This will be a rental and I am looking to have a finished basement to add to the overall appreciation
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Lou Ruggieri depends on the market. I'm doing level quick and then putting commercial water based stain and sealer. Im dealing with Brooklyn hipsters tho. It looks industrial/modern. I'm staging this house for sale and just the level quick gets me to the minimum height for finished space. I figure if the buyer wants to do another finish like luxury vinyl or tile the have a level floor to do so. As a rental your in a different boat. I think in NJ the renters are looking for something a little more finished. Look into the luxury vinyl plank. Getting back to the market, this is what I do. I ask my realtor to get me into a few rentals in my area so I can see what the competition is. Then I try to be a bit better than them if I can. If I can't I go a little cheaper. The most important thing for me is to get the best renter for the most of amount of money. When you know what you want to do then you can get and idea of what the costs are.
  • Yakima, WA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    That's easy, laminate look alike snap together totally waterproof flooring. I know, I know, you fixed the problem. Never put anything but waterproof flooring in a basement, this is only about $2.sf at Lowes, any good flooring store. No brainer, looks  great, can be installed at the bottom of a swimming pool! Even levels out uneven surfaces to a point.

  • Investor · Oakley, MI · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    I recently put what is called Allure floors in my basement. Many different looks but it is backed with a 15 year warranty and it is a vinyl plank with 2 sides of adhesive almost like a snap and lock. You can find it at your local Home Depot. I also had past water problems and found this to be the best fit for a possible issue in the future.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Anything but wood.

  • Investor · Beverly, MA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Might think about glueing down xps foam board, with 3/4 tongue and groove plywood on top, tape the seams then like a previous post said use either vinyl sheet or preferably allure or allure ultra from Home Depot. Just completed this type of install in a basement apartment rental renovation and it came out amazing!! Floor is super warm as well and the xps acts as a great vapor barrier if you tape the seams with a tyvek tape. The whole install is super easy and will last forever. Good luck
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.