Is 5/8" edge gap for Floating vinyl plank flooring be too big ?

Is 5/8" edge gap for Floating vinyl plank flooring be too big ?

Discovery Bay, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Is there any risk that over time the entire floor with shift in one direction (towards one wall) if a 5/8 gap (to walls base plate) is left for most of the perimeter? 

1) So that in effect that side no longer has an expansion gap, and bulging could occur?

2) Or the wall side 'moved from' could develop a gap that actually shows from under the base molding (3 1/4 x 5/8" MDF)?

I have removed all the baseboards. There is plenty of space (ht. +/- 3/8") for the .56" thick Allure Grip-Strip vinyl planks to expand under the 5/8" thick sheet rock. My thought is to install the first row at the outer edge of the drywall so it can 'expand under' it or 'contact towards' the 5/8" base molding. 

My vinyl planking:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Allure-12...

This flooring will cover a 13' x 14 bedroom, continue into a hallway which opens to a 6'x6' vanity area, thru a doorway into the toilet/shower room. Also there are sliding mirrored doored closets off the hallway and vanity areas.  The longest run is 27' from a sliding glass door in the bedroom, down the hall, past one closet to where you enter the master bedroom.

3) I am not sure what kind of molding to use where the planking meets the vinyl slider base frame. I wonder if glueing a 3/4" shoe molding to the slider's base will hold. The only baby threshold I have seen is for MUCH thicker flooring than my 1/8"+ vinyl planks. 

4) How small of a gap should I go with at this (slider) end of a 27' run? This area gets direct sun, so I'd expect the maximum expansion in this sun exposed end of the floor. While direct morning sun is on it in mid summer, the floor will be ≈ 95ºF. The rest of the room will be ambient room temp. I figure I can start out w/ maybe a 1/4" gap at the slider itself, do not install any molding until I see what maximum expansion on a hot day looks like. I think it would be easy to trim off another 1/8"+ as needed at any time (before molding).

[sorry for the novel... ;o)

0Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy N.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

If you lay your floor to the sheet rock, you should be fine.  If you tuck under a little, you will also be fine.   If you fit it absolutely tight then you will no room for expansion.

Your floor is unlikely to shift all to one side, if that is your concern.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    How thick is your baseboard (likely 3/8" -  5/8")?  You do not want to leave a gap as wide or wider than the thickness of your baseboard .... else you end-up using quarter-round or cove to cover the gap (screams short-cut or quick/cheap).

    As for your closet doors:  lift the tracks; lay your finish floor; put the tracks back down.

    Your vinyl plank is going to expand very little. Read the manufacturer's instructions, but generally 1/4" - 5/16" of gap along the wall (measured from the bottom plate if your drywall is 1/2" off the floor as it should be) is ample expansion space and easily covered by the baseboard.

  • Discovery Bay, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    EDIT:  My 5/8" base board is actually thicker than my 1/2" sheet rock (I just double checked). My question is will or might the entire floor shift to one side leaving the flooring theoretically close to the outer edge of my 5/8" base molding? Since it would be difficult to place, (well mostly remove spacers) from underneath the sheet rock, I was hoping to just align my first row and all edges with the vertical edge of the sheet rock, then have the 5/8" base molding placed over flooring. 

    Are you saying it would be safer to run the planks under the sheet rock 1/8"+ ... just in case of my entire floor does shift to one wall over years?

    Thanks

    PS. I do have 3/8" square dowel I could try to split in half and lay flat under the sheet rock and hopefully be able to wiggle it out from under the sheet rock's gap, and over the installed planks after floor is installed.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    If you lay your floor to the sheet rock, you should be fine.  If you tuck under a little, you will also be fine.   If you fit it absolutely tight then you will no room for expansion.

    Your floor is unlikely to shift all to one side, if that is your concern.

  • Discovery Bay, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Roy,

    Thank you for your input.

    "Your floor is unlikely to shift all to one side, if that is your concern."

    The entire floor shifting was my only concern. If it won't shift, JUST expand & contract, the 1/2" gaps around the perimeter will be fine.

    Thank you

  • Contractor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 144 votes
    9y
    5/8 is more than enough. Vinyl plank barely expands if at all. For most products 1/4" is enough. I speaking as a daily flooring contractor. For your situarion you got more than enough.
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    I agree with Joshua.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.