New Investor but Found a Great Deal

New Investor but Found a Great Deal

Horseheads, NY · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
I've never bought an investment property (own a 2,000sf office building for my business) and have been absorbing as much wisdom as I can from BP. I found a single family house 3/1.5 1500sf in my old neighborhood my wife and I used to walk by everyday. We'd always comment on how dumpy it looked but it's for sale now for $79k. It's value after rehab would be about $140k as are all the homes in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is awesome, quiet, safe, near great schools and a mile from my current residence. The house just came up on the MLS today and looks pretty good by the pics. I'm planning on walking through with my agent Monday. My goal would be to finance through private funds, rehab (need to still determine if property is a okay), and sell. Am I crazy for wanting to start this soon (1-2 months after just starting to study RE investing in depth)? I don't have a business, business plan (finished yet), etc. Should I wait longer? All signs (so far) point to a $30k profit. Any thoughts? Thanks all!
0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    9y

    You live in neighborhood and you know the area. This is plus point for you. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Marc Maser, you need to think like a flipper ie. "need to still determine if property is a okay". And flippers DON'T always get it right. Turning it from "dumpy" to "$140k comp" could EASILY cost: purchase plus MORE than the difference!

    You don't want that! You need more local expertise to rely on than just the selling Agent's (probable) flowery approval.

    Also, don't forget selling/tax/holding costs, which could easily eat any $30k "profit". Thanks for sharing. My 2c...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    9y

    I would worry less about "is this the right time" and more about "do the numbers make sense"? Estimate the repair costs after you see it and post that number here for feedback.

    When you run your numbers don't forget closing costs (on both the purchase and the sale), the financing costs, and other holding costs (insurance, utilities, etc.).

    Best of luck to you. 

  • Lender · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2015 · 610 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    @Marc Maser I'd bring in a relater and/or a contractor to help you run the numbers. You'll need to know how much it will cost you to get the ARV you are looking for. I'd also consider financing costs and what kind of financing mechanisms are available. This can help you minimize your risk.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.