Avoiding a roof replacement

Avoiding a roof replacement

Real Estate Investor · Wakefield, MA · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 34 votes

Hello BP community,

I'm looking to avoid having to replace a roof. It's probably about 20 years old, asphalt three tab shingle, black (gray now due to the wear and tear). No leaks, no damage from plywood on the underside. What can I do to make the exterior more appealing without having to replace the entire roof?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

If it has the black stains and streaks on it , or moss . You can call someone that  does low pressure roof cleaning 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
    8y
    Best bet is to replace the roof. Sorry 3 tab will never look good.
  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    8y
    On flips I’ve found the roi in roof replacement to be great; I always replace when they’re old. House looks so much better with a new roof and buyers will be more willing to spend extra when they have that new roof security
  • Ottawa, IL · Member since 2016 · 242 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    @Victor Eng - And, to add to the crowd here, research is showing more and more home buyers are valuing things like roofs and insulation versus cosmetic upgrades so the ROI is much higher than it used to be!

    I'd say do it, especially with so many people doing government backed loans (in our market anyway) where it will need to have a good 2-3 year (or more) life on it in order for the loan to pass the appraisal -- why not open up the pool of potential buyers (unless it's a major fixer in which you probably wouldn't be super worried about making it look better!)

    Or, if you still don't want to, just say it doesn't leak, hasn't been any issue, but offer a credit to the buyer to put toward a new roof just to make them happy (but I'd offer it after they bring it up!) but frankly, if you're doing that, just replace it and don't lose those buyers who are really scared of having to put on a new roof!

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    If it has the black stains and streaks on it , or moss . You can call someone that  does low pressure roof cleaning 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have never done it @Victor Eng but I have seen companies that "clean" roofs. I believe it is simply a cleaner and power wash. I entertained it on a potential deal I had going, and seemed the cost would be close to $1000 (1200 SF house or so). I never ended up doing it, so I can't confirm the finished product.

    If you have a 20 year old roof, it very well may come up during an inspection. How large is the house/roof?

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I agree with @Christian Wathne. We decided to do a complete tear off on a duplex (large home & smaller adjoining 1 bedroom apartment built on). It had Cedar shingles, 2 layers of asphalt plus it required all new sheeting.

    It was the best $10,500 we spent & after 7 years of renting we sold the property for a $25k profit & hold the note @ 12%. 

  • Investor/ Real Estate Agent · Burton, OH · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 53 votes
    8y

    @Victor Eng my first instinct is to say replace. However, I'm not familiar with your area. In a hot market you may not have to. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I would not power wash old asphalt shingles, as the power washer could easily tear them up. Also, that layer of little granules helps, so you wouldn't want to wash those away either. Power-washing probably works great with anything but asphalt.

    Everything else costs money too, so I don't know if it makes more sense to replace siding, etc.

    Wrapping old fascia and windows with metal is a great cost-effective way to spruce up the exterior, when those components need to be painted anyways. 

    I have a house where I replaced the siding, windows and doors, and wrapped all the trim with metal, but did not replace an older roof that is still functioning fine. I wish I had replaced the roof.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:

    I have never done it @Victor Eng but I have seen companies that "clean" roofs. I believe it is simply a cleaner and power wash. I entertained it on a potential deal I had going, and seemed the cost would be close to $1000 (1200 SF house or so). I never ended up doing it, so I can't confirm the finished product.

    If you have a 20 year old roof, it very well may come up during an inspection. How large is the house/roof?

    There is NO powere washer involved , it is a low pressure clean basicly using a strong chlorine solution with a surflactant .  ( I have a trailer set up to do it ) 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Matthew Paul ah, I see that now. The company I called was called had powerwashing in the name... however when I read their descriptions, the roof is called soft washing and they even go on to say do not power wash. I saw it done on my FILs neighbors house and from what I remember the results looked nice... however it was a nice roof to begin with, just a bit stained, not 20+ years old.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Here in CT they have plenty of companies that will clean your roof, assuming there are companies like this in MA. If your roof is stained this may be your best option. As @Matthew Paul has said it is a low pressure wash that they do, make sure no one is going to crank a high pressure wash machine on your roof. 

    The credible companies that clean roofs should be able to show you side by side pictures of the work they have done in the past for people in your area.

    Try cleaning and if that doesn't work then look into replacement is what I would do. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 461 posts · 262 votes
    8y

    I have had roofs cleaned by companies who do the low pressure washing w/ chemicals. I have paid about $750 for a house with a footprint of roughly 45X30'

    The last one I did made it look brand new. I had several people remark about it assuming it was new.

  • Property Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 194 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    If it's a flip don't replace it unless you can justify your ROI. It's not leaking. It's obvious it's the look that's bothering you. You can power wash it yourself and see in an hour if it's worth doing or just replacing.

    If you want to replace. PM me. 

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Replace it. So many buyers will look at an old roof and bypass the house. The inside could be spectacular, but the roof could be a deterrent. I have had 2 with old, but solid roofs, sit on the market for a month with plenty of lookers but no offers. I replaced the roof and had offers within a week. Coincidence? Possibly, but I don't believe so. 

    If you're house is up against new builds or other houses in the area have new roofs, then I think it is a detriment to not replace the roof. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.