What tools do you use to track the progress through a rehab?

What tools do you use to track the progress through a rehab?

Trenton, NJ · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I was curious what everyone uses to plan their rehab? I like to think I'm a pretty organized person and don't know if a Gant chart would be ideal, or maybe a calendar and block off the work etc. I'm curious as to what the more experienced rehabbers do? I'm getting into a rehab with my partner and I want to be able to look at something and update it as we go to see the visual progress. You know aside from seeing the completion of each part of the rehab at the property. 

Thanks guys!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    7y

    @David Vile I use:

    1. Excel calendar that we and our Sub sign off on

    2. Whiteboard at each flip a a reminder to the Sub and the workers

    See attached example of both. 

    All the best!

    sjw

  • Trenton, NJ · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ward:

    @David Vile I use:

    1. Excel calendar that we and our Sub sign off on

    2. Whiteboard at each flip a a reminder to the Sub and the workers

    See attached example of both. 

    All the best!

    sjw

     Thank you. That is exactly something I was looking and thinking about. Appreciate the insight.

  • Contractor · Largo, FL · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I map out the rehabs like the following: 

    1. Write down every trade needed for your rehab

    2. Write down how long each trade's scope of work will take

    3.  From there, start arranging it from start to finish in calendar days and there might be some overlap when you can have multiple trades in the house at the same time.  I use the predecessor function in excel so that if one task doesn't get completed on time it pushes everything else back connected to it in the critical path.  

    4.  Some key points to make sure you include: Get all lead times on everything you are ordering. (windows and doors tend to have long lead times) Include ordering the supplies as part of your schedule.  Include delivering the materials as part of your schedule.  This all takes time and should be set as reminders.  

    5. Make sure to always include reminders to schedule inspections or for inspection days.  If inspections fail you need to be prepared for everything to be pushed back.  

    Also, something to mention I am not sure you are starting your flip soon or not but I know it sounds crazy but A LOT of subcontractors take off a lot of time in the Fall days for "Hunting" season, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.