Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 47 votes
Summary : Looking options which are not labor intensive for bathroom remodel , which is already in great condition. The option doesn't have to be cheap , but should be less labor intensive
Current Pic :
Longer version :
Bathroom : Great condition , well built , but outdated , needs cosmetic update to make it look modern
Problem statement : Feel bad to rip off everything , found some options online , but I feel the demo videos from these companies don't tell the whole story , so was looking for things that BP members practically used and have feedback on.
Ideas researched so far :
Luxury tile like wall panels - so you can install the panel in one go rather than tiling
Tile over Tile - of course with some important considerations such as condition of existing tile
Reglazing bath tub
Painting existing tiles and grouting
Updating all the fixtures , cabinets with high end items
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y
You must be in a high-end market because I don't see anything wrong with that bathroom, especially for a rental. I would maybe change out the knobs and towel racks to a more contemporary look like satin nickel or aged bronze.
Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
What is the end goal, flip, rent or primary?
Personally that layout isn't great, but if you are looking to save money/labor but spruce up the look, I would do new vanity, new hardware (lose the brass) replace shower door for frameless glass, new recessed fixtures, add some wainscoting where there isn't tile and then repaint. It won't be perfect, but I've had luck doing this in the past.
Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
7y
At a micro level, if those jet fittings in the tub are white plastic that has turned yellow, you can make them look at lot better by removing them and spraying them with white spray paint that is intended to adhere to plastic.
At a macro level, if you want to modernize the bathroom with a lot of work, move the toilet to the shower area and enclose it in a separate room. Then ditch the tub that nobody uses and convert that area to a nicer, big shower. I don't know what to suggest regarding the window.
You must be in a high-end market because I don't see anything wrong with that bathroom, especially for a rental. I would maybe change out the knobs and towel racks to a more contemporary look like satin nickel or aged bronze.
Hi Nathan , parts of it are high end , so median price is around 570K . The ARV on this is 420 so below the median for this area .
I dont find any issue with the bathroom but its just outdated . Sure the hardware would and all other easy stuff would be changed . Primarily thinking of tile , shower and cabinets .
Personally that layout isn't great, but if you are looking to save money/labor but spruce up the look, I would do new vanity, new hardware (lose the brass) replace shower door for frameless glass, new recessed fixtures, add some wainscoting where there isn't tile and then repaint. It won't be perfect, but I've had luck doing this in the past.
Thanks @Brian Pulaski . Its a flip .
Any recommendations for the tile - wall and floor ? I dont want to touch the layout , its a master bathroom , I personally would like a bigger shower . But dont want to tinker with the layout .
At a micro level, if those jet fittings in the tub are white plastic that has turned yellow, you can make them look at lot better by removing them and spraying them with white spray paint that is intended to adhere to plastic.
At a macro level, if you want to modernize the bathroom with a lot of work, move the toilet to the shower area and enclose it in a separate room. Then ditch the tub that nobody uses and convert that area to a nicer, big shower. I don't know what to suggest regarding the window.
Thanks Bob . Good suggestion on the jet fittings , I didnt know what to do , but I thought I can refresh them .
Yeah I feel the tub is not useful , but just hesitant of the layout changes , i dont think the margins/ARV supports it .
Any ideas on tile - because if it could be replaced / updated to some thing modern , that would make it look nice
1, Shower panel/tower in that little shower. Eight jets, headshower, handshower, just chop out the valve and put in brackets and fittings and you're done for a few hundred bucks in there.
2. I think that toilet's a basic Kohler Highline. Get something more visually stimulating, like a one-piece with a double flush European button on top or a sleek Japanese design like a Toto Aquia.
3. Do you have enough space for small his and her double sinks in that vanity? Is that what I'm seeing in the mirror? Upgrade faucets. I like Grohe's Starlight Chrome finishes.
4. That's a cheap faucet on that tub. You can do better. You need another handshower on that. Something like a Grohe Arden, also in Starlight Chrome.
Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
7y
PUT A WALL BETWEEN THE TOILET AND DOOR TO GIVE THE SENSE OF SOME PRIVACY, EVEN IF IT'S A SHORT WALL LIKE 4 FT TALL. MAYBE EVEN WALLS ON BOTH SIDES OF IT. I CAN'T TELL, BUT IS THAT MIRRORED GLASS AROUND THE WINDOW? IF SO, IT LOOKS STRANGE. GET RID OF THE MIRROR AND INSTALL A BIGGER WINDOW
Investor · Kennedale, TX · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 349 votes
7y
If you change the faucet for the tub make sure you check the flow rate of the one you buy. The one that was in our house was rated for a kitchen sink and it took forever to fill up. I changed it with a 18 gpm faucet and it fills fast now.
Personally that layout isn't great, but if you are looking to save money/labor but spruce up the look, I would do new vanity, new hardware (lose the brass) replace shower door for frameless glass, new recessed fixtures, add some wainscoting where there isn't tile and then repaint. It won't be perfect, but I've had luck doing this in the past.
Thanks @Brian Pulaski . Its a flip .
Any recommendations for the tile - wall and floor ? I dont want to touch the layout , its a master bathroom , I personally would like a bigger shower . But dont want to tinker with the layout .
Unless you rip it out and redo or possibly reglaze (if that is even an option) I doubt there is much you can do. I've left uglier tile and redid the room around it and the house had no issues selling.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
@Kumar Tummalapalli I've been there and in my opinion bathrooms remodel decisions are binary; either keep it cosmetic or take it down to the studs. There is no middle ground that makes sense.
Option #1: replace hardware, get rid of the gold, replace the towel bar (is that red??) and see if you can get the jet's white. I have bad experience with reglazing tubs. Paint the walls; can't go wrong with some light gray in 2019 (like Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray). Upgrade light fixtures, get a nice mirror and distract the eye with some bold staging items (towels, rug, maybe a faux plant).
Option #2: demo everything, create room for toilet and walk in shower, loose the tub if you have to or replace with free standing soaker for eye candy.
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 47 votes
7y
@Jim K. Thank you Jim - that is a good idea , I was looking for some high end faucets and other hardware . I will consider the models you proposed . Thanks for that
PUT A WALL BETWEEN THE TOILET AND DOOR TO GIVE THE SENSE OF SOME PRIVACY, EVEN IF IT'S A SHORT WALL LIKE 4 FT TALL. MAYBE EVEN WALLS ON BOTH SIDES OF IT. I CAN'T TELL, BUT IS THAT MIRRORED GLASS AROUND THE WINDOW? IF SO, IT LOOKS STRANGE. GET RID OF THE MIRROR AND INSTALL A BIGGER WINDOW
If you change the faucet for the tub make sure you check the flow rate of the one you buy. The one that was in our house was rated for a kitchen sink and it took forever to fill up. I changed it with a 18 gpm faucet and it fills fast now.
This didnt even occur to me , I just look for bathtub faucet .I will make a note of it
Personally that layout isn't great, but if you are looking to save money/labor but spruce up the look, I would do new vanity, new hardware (lose the brass) replace shower door for frameless glass, new recessed fixtures, add some wainscoting where there isn't tile and then repaint. It won't be perfect, but I've had luck doing this in the past.
Thanks @Brian Pulaski . Its a flip .
Any recommendations for the tile - wall and floor ? I dont want to touch the layout , its a master bathroom , I personally would like a bigger shower . But dont want to tinker with the layout .
Unless you rip it out and redo or possibly reglaze (if that is even an option) I doubt there is much you can do. I've left uglier tile and redid the room around it and the house had no issues selling.
Thats assuring , I was scouting through some rehabbed houses that are curretly listed and I found some people did that and it doesnt look too bad
@Kumar Tummalapalli I've been there and in my opinion bathrooms remodel decisions are binary; either keep it cosmetic or take it down to the studs. There is no middle ground that makes sense.
Option #1: replace hardware, get rid of the gold, replace the towel bar (is that red??) and see if you can get the jet's white. I have bad experience with reglazing tubs. Paint the walls; can't go wrong with some light gray in 2019 (like Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray). Upgrade light fixtures, get a nice mirror and distract the eye with some bold staging items (towels, rug, maybe a faux plant).
Option #2: demo everything, create room for toilet and walk in shower, loose the tub if you have to or replace with free standing soaker for eye candy.
I think Option 1 :-) , Especially great tips regarding the staging . That's an overlooked factor . i dont know how skilled is reglazing , but if it needs more skill , then I tend to stay away , I always look for things that are easier to do for any one , almost DIY level . even if the materials are more expensive . Helps keep timeline in control and also removed dependency on skilled labor .
Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
7y
David, you didn't explain if you were selling this property or will be renting it out. If renting, my rule of thumb has always been improvements/updates must enable me to receive more rent and/or rent it faster and/or get a better quality tenant. My personal likes/dislikes are less important. The photos of your bathroom, while slightly dated and maybe boring, look perfectly functional. If you have enough rental demand in your area and are satisfied with the income, I'd be tempted to leave it alone until the time it's very outdated and/or just so worn out that it needs renovating, at which time you can make the changes you want.
David, you didn't explain if you were selling this property or will be renting it out. If renting, my rule of thumb has always been improvements/updates must enable me to receive more rent and/or rent it faster and/or get a better quality tenant. My personal likes/dislikes are less important. The photos of your bathroom, while slightly dated and maybe boring, look perfectly functional. If you have enough rental demand in your area and are satisfied with the income, I'd be tempted to leave it alone until the time it's very outdated and/or just so worn out that it needs renovating, at which time you can make the changes you want.
Hi Ed , The end goal is a flip - Absolutely no weightage to my preferences :-) Just want to appeal the broad customer base .
I agree 200% with you on rentals , I just do the bare minimum - Even in high price neighbhorhoods , renters have pretty low expectation , i just buy for investing and havebeen a renter for 5 yrs .
In chicago burbs , if it has the right school district , it really amazes me , how the apartment management are able to get away with renting the worst ., I still remember , going on a tour and it has this 1950's Range , absolutely beaten up , scratched , and I asked the leasing manager , how can you even show me this property , This is a very good A class area . Sorry for going on a tangent , but I concur with you .
Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
7y
One caution on tile, aside from the obvious labor: Depending on the flooring in the adjacent room, new floor tile that resembles wood would look up to date. But whatever you use probably has to work with the existing tub tile. The tub is installed on top of the deck tile, so tile over tile there probably would give you uneven edges along the tub. Pulling off the deck tile might be difficult without lifting the tub.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
7y
I like @Karen O.'s list. But the only real low hanging fruit besides paint, lighting and wall fixtures is the sink, I hate those "cultured marble" ones. Lots of porcelain top options out there.
Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Kumar Tummalapalli for your project I would remove your existing floor tile, and wall tile, and replace with new. This demo is a nice rainy day project, laying the new tile can be a DIY or a relatively cheap professional project.
Also you're right the glass doors are SO expensive. I would leave the glass you currently have to help save on cost.