Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 47 votes
I'm about so close on my first investment property and I'm exploring my renovation options. I've painted rooms using rollers and crushes before and it's definitely not my favorite activity. I've been looking into getting a paint sprayer that will make the task of painting much easier. Since I plan to continue investing after this first place, i want to get a paint sprayer that i will be able to hold onto for multiple years that will get me through many projects.
My question is:
1) Is it worth it to but a paint sprayer in your opinion? Or should i suck it up and put some sweat into it instead.
2) What sprayer would you recommend? I've been looking at the Wagner Flexio 970 because it has a long hose that would allow me to paint up to a second story, but I've read some worrying things about Wagners. Is there a better sprayer for your money that will be reliable?
Investor · Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 85 votes
7y
@Alex Nelson I have a love / hate relationship with sprayers. You really have to ask the hard question of how much you will really use it. If you will use it a lot, then it is worth the learning curve. If you will use it infrequently, it is a hassle to get it ready, learn to be good at spraying, and cleaning.
Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 368 posts · 102 votes
7y
A paint sprayer is the way to go. We use one on all of our homes it makes everything go by much quicker. A roller is an awesome idea, but its hell on the arms and back.
Investor · Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 85 votes
7y
@Alex Nelson I have a love / hate relationship with sprayers. You really have to ask the hard question of how much you will really use it. If you will use it a lot, then it is worth the learning curve. If you will use it infrequently, it is a hassle to get it ready, learn to be good at spraying, and cleaning.
Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
7y
For indoor spraying, particularly, consider the extra masking work needed to protect everything that you aren't painting.
Many years ago, I had a Wagner "Power Painter" with a backpack for carrying paint on a ladder. I used it to paint the exterior of three houses. It worked OK but was a lot of trouble to clean and finally wore out. One thing you might not realize: I don't know about modern models, but the old Wagners were very loud -- much louder than sprayers that use a separate compressor.
On a more recent project, I rented a sprayer from Home Depot to paint the outside of a house with a lot of siding. That was easier to use than the old Wagner but still a lot of masking and cleanup.
Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 47 votes
7y
@Account Closed what brand/type of sprayer do you use for your paint jobs?
I will be paining the entire house myself and from what I've seen, the Wagner's don't really hold up well to extended use. I'm leaning towards a Graco Magnum but haven't decided which one. I'm open to suggestions if there is another brand that you highly recommend.
Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 174 posts · 124 votes
7y
There is definitely a learning curve with paint sprayers. There's also a lot of prep work because paint....gets....everywhere. Seriously everywhere. If you are inside you will have a mist of paint all through the room. Make sure you have a proper respirator that can filter the particulates for your sprayer.
I have a Graco model and I use it for exterior painting, interior trim, and for priming the walls. For a ceiling or wall finish I use a roller. You can spray them but you're supposed to backroll the walls to get proper texture and adhesion. For ceilings and walls I think you get a better product with a standard roller than a spray and a backroll. For trim work I think nothing looks better than what you get with a gloss paint and a sprayer. YMMV
Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
7y
We have one. We don't use it often, when we do the clean up and prep involved takes almost as much time as you save in painting, BUT we are generally painting things that go pretty quick anyways (touch ups between tenants, not full reno jobs) and I have gotten fast with a roller.
That being said, the times when we will use it will probably apply more to you. It is a huge time saver when several coats are needed (fresh drywall) or in basements when painting rough walls and joists.
We had someone else paint the exteriors two of our houses (he's lead certified), and he used a sprayer like ours on the body of the house, then a brush for the trim and touch up work.
Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 47 votes
7y
I've noticed a lot of talk about how much prep and cleanup people talk about with sprayers, but isn't there quite a bit of prep necessary for hand painting as well? Don't windows/trip etc still need to be taped off just the same?
I understand there is overspray with the sprayers and it may be necessary to cover the celing and floor, but other than that they seem fairly similar as far as prep goes.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
If I'm rolling/brushing, I hardly tape off anything...... its not that hard to cut in with a brush and a reasonable steady hand.
With a sprayer inside you have to prep/mask off or paint will go on everything....not a big deal if you have the place gutted already (no flooring etc)....
Outside its definitely a plus....but inside I think its a wash unless you are a pro and bang that stuff out real quick..... the prep and the clean up wipes much of the time gain.
Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 95 posts · 62 votes
7y
You're definitely going to get mixed opinions. Like what's better a truck or SUV? It depends on your overall life and to some degree what you like more/are better at. That being said - I'm actually pretty good at painting, but I hate it with a passion. We built a house last year, and we borrowed a sprayer from a friend. Went in before trim was on and sprayed everything. Saved so much time! Currently, remodeling part of our own home - tons of new drywall - literally forced my husband to go buy a sprayer before I lost my mind. Ha. My vote is the sprayer all the way. It's not magic, and yes, cleaning it sucks - but doesn't cleaning all paint related items suck?
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
If you’re priming/painting a whole house interior or exterior, I’d consider a sprayer. But as others have said, the pint goes everywhere. I rarely use mine when the interior is finished. You typically need to back-roll the walls anyway for a nice finish. So it’s faster, but only sometimes.
I highly recommend a graco though. Much more of a professional models than the Wagners.
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 102 posts · 113 votes
7y
Alex, I am not a professional painter, but have done a lot of painting over the years. I have a Graco X5 and it is an awesome tool to have. Once everything is taped off, the actual painting takes no time at all. That being said I agree with everyone here that it takes a LOT of time to tape everything off. If you paint a whole room you will likely see that the paint will be in a fine enough mist that it will float in the air and make a room look like it was just fogged. You must wear a respirator and should wear full coveralls with goggles as you can get really messy.
Also learning how to not over spray and move the spray gun in an appropriate back and forth motion takes practice.
Also the sprayer type has variables as well. Airless vs air spray is one. Also, I can say I will not put an oil based paint through my Graco due to the need for solvent cleanup (which by the way will likely make a big mess in the first or second time you try it).
With all that being said in many cases I have just gone with roller and brush due to the amount of time it takes to prep for spraying. Best use (for me) is cabinets and doors where you want no brush lines.
Cedar Falls, IA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 13 votes
7y
What’s worked well for me is to rent a pro-grade sprayer. Usually runs $50-$80 per day, they take care of the maintenance, and I’m able to rent a much nicer sprayer than I’d buy. I usually spray primer and roll paint on renos. I’m in the camp that they're great for priming, not so much for paining with the additional prep work.
Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
7y
Airless sprayers are great... if you know how to use them. There is a STEEP learning curve to spray with them and get the finish even as good as a brush and roller. The prep is extensive and annoying and the cleanup gets old quick. Unless you're spraying 1k sq ft of walls the same color, it isn't worth it to me. There is zero prep for me to brush and roll walls so it is actually easier and quicker for me to just brush and roll it. IMO if you're doing enough painting to make it worth buying a sprayer, then you're spending enough time to get good at cutting in with a brush and rolling it.
Flipper/Rehabber · New England · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 14 votes
7y
@Bryan Devitt interesting! Thanks for your input. We got a used one for cheap a couple weeks ago but haven't even found a time to use it yet! I am sure we will use it, but like you mentioned.. It will be easier with a roller for most jobs
Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
7y
I got this tip when researching the same thing a while back, cut your rolling time in 1/2 by using 18" rollers instead of 9". We tried it and frankly it's amazing, you'll just blow through rooms if you can get everything setup to roll all at once. Like everyone else mentioned, spraying has a lot of setup and is hard to use when you're concerned about the flooring and other things, but the 18" roller doubles your speed with no drawbacks really. You can get them at Lowes.
Flipper/Rehabber · Ocean Springs, MS · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 1 vote
7y
@Alex Nelson
I would not waste your time with one of those hand held sprayers. You will constantly be refilling, making a mess and working on it. I bought a Graco X7 and is my best flip purchase yet. I primed and painted the outside of my first 1600sft house in 3 hours. Try rolling a brick house and then use this sprayer 😂. IMO this $400 will be the best you’ve ever spent too.
Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 37 votes
7y
@Alex Nelson One thing to consider, depending on your paints finish, you may have to roll over it after you spray. I forget the exact type (flat, satin, or etc), but someone else may have more info to add. Good luck.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
7y
@Alex Nelson the Wagner light duty ones are not great. I owned one, then sold it. I have had good success renting a sprayer when I needed it. The nice thing about renting is I am not worried about storing it or fixing it when it breaks. My rental place has Graco brand, which seems good.
It takes some time to setup and clean out, so you want a good chunk of time to use it. If you roll or brush, it is easier to do an hour here or there.
I don't spray inside unless it is new construction. It is just too much of a mess in a confined space. Get proper respirator masks and coveralls.
Also keep in mind that back rolling is usually necessary after you spray to have consistency. Spraying takes skill, so think about how often you are really going to do it. It may even make sense to just a hire a big job. I have seen crews of six guys paint a house in less than a day. An amateur could take a week or more. Time has value.
Specialist · Columbus, GA · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 13 votes
7y
@Alex Nelson
Had a Wagner brand first, several years ago, got more paint on myself from it leaking than on the walls.
Bought a Graco, used it, got paint EVERYWHERE. Didn’t clean it well enough and the internals got locked up with paint.
Few years ago, had to paint the interior of a large commercial building, bought a new Graco, sprayed the inside, felt like I fumigated the place. More paint on me and in the air than on the walls.
Cleaned it out more thoroughly, put it away and haven’t used it since.
As said before, rolling and brushing is easy enough and with a steady hand you don’t need to tape anything. I doubt I’ll ever use the sprayer again unless I HAVE to. Maybe I’m just an idiot with a sprayer. I don’t know.
Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 47 votes
7y
Thank you everyone for all of the input! I suppose i should give a better background so you understand my project.
I'm purchasing a 1650 sq. ft. duplex and plan to completely repaint the interior and about 50% of the exterior. I'm also replacing the floors, so the mess on the floor isn't an issue for me.
With this much painting, I'm really leaning toward the sprayer just so that it will get done with less work and i will be able to use the sprayer on the exterior as well as the interior. I'm also planning to repaint the cabinets so from what i understand the sprayer would be great for that as well.
I hadn't considered renting a sprayer instead of purchasing. I may consider this but i need to determine how often i would need it. If i'm going to need to rent for more than 4 days then i might as well just buy one of the ~$400 Graco's.
This is my first investment property so I know I'm not going to be using the sprayer much afterwards until i am able to invest in my second property, which is why renting does sound appealing.
Again thank you guys for all of these different angles to consider this with!
Rockledge, FL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
7y
@Alex Nelson depending on the scope of the job ofcourse.... a sprayer adds more work onto the prep( tape windows covering floors mainly carpets( tile can be mopped with a latex paint remover to remove over spray) etc. but spraying puts on way more paint than rolling and gives you better results especially on heavy textured ceilings old popcorn etc. I use a grecko I think from depot, just make sure you strain your paint first.! Very important!!! and clean after use.
Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
7y
If it's your first property to paint, I'd recommend this:
#1) Buy good paint like Sherwin Williams, not the cheap stuff. Makes it much easier to paint
#2) Get good brushes and rollers, crap brushes don't pay off. And buy the 18" rollers to save tons of time.
#3) Get a pair of good quality headphones and line up like 20 to 30 podcasts to listen to
#4) Prep all the walls first before even opening a can. It sucks, but you have to fill in holes and sand before anything else. If you need to remove wallpaper, buy a steamer, worth its weight in gold.
#5) Do one color all at once. Don't paint the ceiling one room then quit. Paint ALL the ceilings in all rooms at once. Paint all the walls at one time. Saves cleanup and context switching.
#6) Get bags to put your rollers/brushes in so you don't have to clean them. Putting them in the fridge in a bag also helps.