Best way to clean mold from cinder block basement walls

Best way to clean mold from cinder block basement walls

Rental Property Investor · Northeast Ohio · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote

I just bought a duplex to house hack.

The small room below the stoop on the front of the house has mold covering the cinder blocks.

I currently have it soaked with white vinegar and plans to wire brush it later, but I was wondering if anyone else had any other remedy for this or any success in doing so.

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
7y

bleach. Just bleach. Get the heavy duty and a pump sprayer.  Open windows and out a fan on or out a window

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    Bleach and water should make it melt away.

    Be sure to find the source of water that is causing the mold otherwise your cleanup is very short lived.  If it is just from condensation, add a dehumidifier to the basement.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    I'm facing that too.  I've picked up some Concrobium from Lowe's to try.  I've got to cut out some sheetrock in my basement unit to see how bad it is on the other side.  I'm afraid I'll be digging around the exterior to recoat with rubber sealant.  And sadly I just placed a tenant in the unit.  HVAC went out and mold showed up.  Going to add a  dehumidifier as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    7y

    bleach. Just bleach. Get the heavy duty and a pump sprayer.  Open windows and out a fan on or out a window

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    I replaced sheetrock along the whole wall in the bedroom.  I kept cutting until it I got to a clean area.  Only had to come up 24" and I also found my root cause, poor install of a window.  The window flashing covered a gaping hole by a 1/4" at most.  I sealed all around the window and under the flashing.  Added some more aluminum flashing for good measure.  Still going to paint the exterior wall with that rubber sealant, I used the black roof calking to cover any cracks I found.  Just have to get back over there to paint on the rubber sealant now.  And finish the drywall..

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jantsen Locke:

    I just bought a duplex to house hack.

    The small room below the stoop on the front of the house has mold covering the cinder blocks.

    I currently have it soaked with white vinegar and plans to wire brush it later, but I was wondering if anyone else had any other remedy for this or any success in doing so.

    Thank you in advance.

     Hot water and bleach. Pressure washer is my favorite thing in the world if you're rehabbing and don't have to worry about the existing floors. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    How bad is the mold? Hepa vac the visible mold, scrub (wire brush) with dawn soap, hepa vac it again then rinse with clean water.
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Bleach is the only thing that will kill the mold as it destroys the DNA.  I know some companies blast the area with dry ice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.