Demo Costs for a Rehab

3 Replies

I am working on estimating the rehab costs for potential deals and am looking for some insight on demolition costs. I know it's simple to self perform the demo work, but work schedules often interfere. Does anyone have a budget number that you plug for demolition? That's a broad question, obviously, but just for example: 2000sf 3/2 SFH. Demo scope is ceramic floors throughout, kitchen cabinets, full bathrooms, etc. This is what I would call "architectural demo". Would $1/sf and 2 days with 3 laborers be a reasonable estimate?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

-Ryan

Yes, you are on the right track.

I generally estimate my demolition costs by the hour and assume it will take 3 laborers, 2 to 3 days (48 to 72 hours) to demo a 3 bed, 2 bathroom property.

At $20 an hour that is a range of $960 to $1,440.

This assumes ceramic floors in the kitchen & bathrooms only with carpeting in the bedrooms & living areas.  If you are tearing out ceramic floors throughout the property that will definitely take more time than removing carpeting.

Just to clarify, this is really only for interior demolition work.

If there is a bunch of junk/furniture in the house it could add another day or two.  If there is significant exterior work like removing decks, fences or bushes that would be additional as well.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here