House with asbestos siding

House with asbestos siding

Flipper/Rehabber · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 117 posts · 57 votes

A seller is offering to give me a house if I buy two of his other properties. The house he is offering to give me has asbestos siding. It is a large sturdy house and is about 1800 sq. Has anyone had any experience with asbestos siding? I heard it could cost $30,000+ to get the siding removed, is there anything else I should think about that would come with removing this siding? Would it be work removing if I am getting the house for free?

0Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y

There is no reason to remove asbestos siding. There is nothing unsafe about it. Asbestos is only an issue when it is broken up and the particles become airborne. Asbestos siding is incredibly resilient and will last much much longer than most sidings. When it is time to replace, merely install siding over it to encapsulate the asbestos.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Bryan S.

    I’m aware of when it was banned. Also aware of when it stopped being used (north of 49th). Have gone through that 3 day training for my day job a total of... 3 times now. Pre 1990, get it tested. It’s worth the $400.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If you need to replace asbestos siding you can just go right over the siding with vinyl and in the process you will encapsulate the asbestos shingles. If it is in good shape though there is no need to replace it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    I second that. Why would you remove it?

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard

    In ny you as the home owner can remove it yourself

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf There are currently companies that remanufacture tiles that look exactly like the asbestos siding. I would leave the non damaged siding in place and just replace the ones that are broken and paint. I second Mr. Brazil in his statement of how sturdy the tiles are and very low maintenance might I add.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adam Wigdorski:

    @Will Barnard

    In ny you as the home owner can remove it yourself

    Wow, that's is surprising to say the least. I would think the EPA would not allow any state to have their own rules as non licensed people are not trained to remove and more importantly, properly dispose of the hazardous materials. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard

    Yes as the home owner you can remove it yourself. If you hire anyone they have to do the full asbestos suit mask abatement and/or encapsulation and have a special asbestos license

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adam Wigdorski:

    @Will Barnard

    Yes as the home owner you can remove it yourself. If you hire anyone they have to do the full asbestos suit mask abatement and/or encapsulation and have a special asbestos license

    So as the homeowner, you have no rules or laws of how to dispose of the hazardous materials and you don't have to wear any protection suits/masks or protect your neighbors either? If that is true, shame on NY.

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard- don’t remove it, replace the damaged ones with cement board siding (looks the same once painted). You can get it from some Home Depot’s, it is around $6/board. Lowe’s does not carry it and only one HD in my area carries it.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard

    Well your not harming anyone with asbestos shingles. Or most of household asbestos products. It’s such low grade to include boiler pipe wrap. You would have to break it up and snort it and you’ll still most likely be fine.

    Shame on NY? I’m glad they have these rules. If the homeowner wants to tackle it and risk it themself it’s the homeowners liability.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adam Wigdorski:

    @Will Barnard

    Well your not harming anyone with asbestos shingles. Or most of household asbestos products. It’s such low grade to include boiler pipe wrap. You would have to break it up and snort it and you’ll still most likely be fine.

    Shame on NY? I’m glad they have these rules. If the homeowner wants to tackle it and risk it themself it’s the homeowners liability.

    I'm not worried about the homeowner themselves, if they want to breath in asbestos, that's on them, I was more concerned with the disposal and the neighbors too.

    I have had asbestos siding removed several times here in CA and I will have to disagree with you on the danger levels of the asbestos as I have seen the test results first hand and they constituted a danger to anyone breathing it once airborne, which is why we are required to have it tested and if it comes back hot, it must be removed by a licensed professional with all the proper equipment and then properly disposed of.

    I agree that government agencies and their intervention are often overbearing and over necessary at times, but with hazardous materials, I am all for protecting our earth and the people and animals who live here.

  • Investor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard according to 
    https://www.cslb.ca.gov/Resources/GuidesAndPublications/AsbestosGuideForConsumers.pdf
    a homeowner can remove asbestos.

    Asbestos abatement or removal does not require an asbestos certification if the total
    area involves less than 100 square feet. However, the job is just as risky to perform. In
    fact, Cal/OSHA regulates all asbestos handling, regardless of the setting. Even small
    amounts removed by a homeowner are regulated and must follow strict transportation
    and disposal requirements.


  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf if the siding has no issues rn peeling etc it should be fine. Just because it is asbestos doesn’t mean not to buy it, just don’t replace the siding and you’ll be okay if it’s in good shape.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf. Sometimes forgiveness is better than permission. I had asbestos siding for my primary residence about 15 years ago. The house was built in 1910 and had beautiful cedar shake underneath the siding. I looked at the red tape and b.s. and it was going to cost about 15-20k to have it properly abated. I lived in a regentryfing neighborhood with a bunch of woke and progressive neighbors. I was really worried about the neighbors ratting me out if I didn’t do it properly. Anyways, my contractors ripped the siding down and had it out of the yard within hours of the start time. Two weeks later the house looked absolutely fantastic. Although many neighbors made a few haha remarks about the siding they were all very grateful that I removed the siding from the 50’s and restored the exterior to it once glorious state. It looked effing stunning. The job cost me 20k. If I had it abated it properly I would have had to add on an additional 15k.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I do not buy houses with asbestos siding.   In some of the municipalities in my area, it is illegal to vinyl side over asbestos siding.  Also, it is an environmental issue, so you would need to theoretically disclose that when you sell it.  Last, I've got quotes before to remove it for a client.  It was somewhere between 8K to 10K.  @Russell Brazil is correct that it is safe when undisturbed.

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    6y

    If it's not damaged I would just leave it up. You can through some fresh paint on it if need be and you can even get replica replacement shingles if only a few need replacing. If you have to remove it for some reason check your local regulations. I have been told in NY that it is legal for the homeowner to remove and dispose of the shingles themselves and with family or friends which would be far cheaper than hiring a remediation company.

  • Contractor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf

    You've heard it enough at this point, but install new vinyl siding over it and call it a day. If the AB is in good shape the vinyl is really only for Aesthetics.

    I'm the operations manager for a construction company servicing all of Mass. We see this all the time and it's completely normal. I wouldn't worry at all.

    In older homes, what is scarier than asbestos siding? Knob and Tube wiring!

  • Contractor · Indianapolis · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Paint over siding with asbestos encapsulant paint, foam board or osb over, install new siding 

    Or

    Foam board or osb over and install new.

    Would only worry about any disclosure at sell. 

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf I had it on my first house. Just leave it in place. It paints up really nicely.

  • Robert TinkerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2019 · 246 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf Wholesale the free one.

  • Sergio AltomarePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greater Philadelphia · Member since 2012 · 135 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf As others have mentioned, it's much more cost effective and reasonable to put siding right over top of it. I've done it on several properties without issue. It's not an issue to lose a deal over.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf I think you can make it work.. The asbestos siding is usually only 3/16 thick so it doesn’t have an extreme offset on the overlaps. I think you can just slap some 7/16 osb over it and then install new construction windows and get some hardi plank siding to go over your new osb. Basically you would make it a non hazard because you can’t be exposed to it. Where I’m remodeling now there is a number of houses w it and they aren’t required to remove. (TN).

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf - In my state (Virginia) you may nail on a Tyvex layer (a thin plastic sheet that comes in rolls) then nail your new siding over the top of it.

  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    Hire a demo company to remove it and "encapsulate" it in some heavy duty contractor bags. Double bag it and take it to the landfill with other trash. If yo ever go to sell and it comes out you have Asbestos anywhere, it becomes a problem and you take the hit on selling price. I think of it like lead paint, get rid of it and get rid of the potential liability.

  • Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jordan Woolf. Don’t remove it. Just place siding over it. I just had a similar 2 story 1800 square foot house and got it resided for 9500 in Spartanburg, SC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.