House with asbestos siding

House with asbestos siding

Flipper/Rehabber · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 117 posts · 57 votes

A seller is offering to give me a house if I buy two of his other properties. The house he is offering to give me has asbestos siding. It is a large sturdy house and is about 1800 sq. Has anyone had any experience with asbestos siding? I heard it could cost $30,000+ to get the siding removed, is there anything else I should think about that would come with removing this siding? Would it be work removing if I am getting the house for free?

0Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y

There is no reason to remove asbestos siding. There is nothing unsafe about it. Asbestos is only an issue when it is broken up and the particles become airborne. Asbestos siding is incredibly resilient and will last much much longer than most sidings. When it is time to replace, merely install siding over it to encapsulate the asbestos.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Woolf:

    A seller is offering to give me a house if I buy two of his other properties. The house he is offering to give me has asbestos siding. It is a large sturdy house and is about 1800 sq. Has anyone had any experience with asbestos siding? I heard it could cost $30,000+ to get the siding removed, is there anything else I should think about that would come with removing this siding? Would it be work removing if I am getting the house for free?

    Do you know for sure it's asbestos?  Normally there is a lab test that is done to confirm if it is or not.  Asbestos is generally safe until you start messing with it so is there a reason why you aren't considering just encapsulating it and going right over it with vinyl?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.