Votes
Matt Blutowski
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Rough estimates wanted

Matt Blutowski
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Sep 13 2012, 16:01

I need some advice estimating rehab cost!

I'm buying a duplex in an area that has appreciated quickly over the past 5 years. I had initially anticipated making repairs to the house then holding it as a rental, but am also considering flipping it after rehabbing back to a single family.

I have great recent comps and know a sales price range at about 150% - 200% more than the purchase price. I just don't have enough experience estimating costs. Any rough estimates would be appreciated - what have similar rehabs costs you?

The Property:
Good:
2,500 square feet. Double-wall brick, 3 stories. new roof, great foundation, newer wiring and furnace. Previous owner ran 2nd sewer stack and utilities to 3rd floor. Excellent location with parking and a larger yard. Area for roof top terrace off of the 3rd floor.

Bad:
Bricks need repointed on one corner, two-stall garage has walls but no roof. HVAC doesn't adequately serve the 3rd floor. half of windows are old.

Ugly:
staircase from 1st to 2nd floor ruins the layout and must be moved - this will open the space on first and second floor. New dry wall in 50% of the home, all new hardwood/tile flooring, 2 current bathrooms need complete update. A new master bath would be built. First floor kitchen needs complete update. 1/2 bath installed. New lighting, likely some new wiring needed. Yard is a mess and needs landscaping.

I'm sure many of you have had similar jobs - what did it cost you?? I'm interested in rough estimates and ranges - a place to start. Thanks!

Loading replies...