Refreshing/Refinishing Oak Cabinets

Refreshing/Refinishing Oak Cabinets

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I'm working on a rehab for resale with 15-year-old oak cabinets in pretty good condition. They are the basic, cheap ones from the 90s, simple frame with overlay hinges and very oakey/grainy looking (no hardware).

I was planning on replacing them but the comps say not necessary. The exact same floor plan with same cabinets and tile counter sold across the street for more than asking 2 weeks ago. The house three doors down is under contract at top of market price with the same cabinets but painted white with new tile counter.

I need to redo the counter and would like to make the cabinets a little bit more modern. Has any one had any luck with restaining on existing cabinets to go darker or more cherry? Any suggestions for what product to use? Thanks!

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
13y

Here are a couple of our flips painted. Our good spray guy does these in about 2 hours, 1 for primer coat and 1 for finish, on consecutive days. Inside, outside, shelves, drawers, doors, everything. We take the doors down and the hardware off to get a better job. Use a tip with the finest possible spray pattern. Try Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, it's a latex enamel but is self leveling and dries very hard like oil paing.

One hour to rehang doors and add hardware. With the newer cabinets, you should have almost no prep work.

http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0515.jpg

http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/listing071.jpg

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I did this once for a customer when I was a contractor. I'd probably never do it again. I've painted cabinets and they've come out pretty good, but refinishing them is a different story. The most time consuming is stripping the old finish.

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Use Rustoluem Cabinet Transformations. I have used it a couple of times and the results are amazing - best of all, there is not sanding / stripping. Cabinets come out looking pretty much brand new. Plus, it is only like $65 for a kit.

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    13y

    I'm researching the same thing for a sale.

    Rustoleum looks like almost like a paint job.

    Has anyone heard of Restorz-it?

    Here is their website:

    http://www.restorzit.com/

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    New doors/fronts?

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Jon Klaus The cabinets aren't full overlay so new fronts won't get rid of the oak.

    I also researched the Rustoleum products a few weeks back. It really looks more like paint than restaining, but some of the photos posted by users looked pretty good.

    I could leave them and clean them up, and recent comps and sales support that...... but I just hate oak. :)

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    It is a paint product - how else would you get rid of the oak look? I used it on this kitchen that had your standard golden oak cabinets (i can't find my before pics right now). I like it because some of the grain still comes through, so you know it real wood.

    After pic: http://tinypic.com/r/23jnmc/6

  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    Thanks a lot for mentioning Rustoleum. Can't wait to try that on my next flip with workable cabinets. I'm thinking a darker color with a light countertop would look awesome for the money!

  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    13y

    Another +1 for the Rustoleum. Only reason I'd paint is to go for the country kitchen look with a nice creame colored paint and worn iron hardware.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    13y

    In 90% of the houses we buy we paint the cabinets white, inside and out. Oil prime, then spray with a good quality oil paint for a harder finish. Looks clean and new, and is very easy. Add a nice crown molding for an added touch.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    13y

    Scott Fey The cabinets turned out good. I agree that it looks even better that the grain shows.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Scott Fey Thanks for posting the picture. Bingo! Those are exactly my cabinets and the look I want to go for: Updated Condo (even though it's a house). It has a totally open floor plan with a half wall kitchen to living and dining area, so cabinets are part of the total "decor". I like how the grain shows through.

    Couple of questions: 1) Did you remember what color you used? Espresso? Java? 2) did you replace the original hinges and go with steel/chrome?

    Is the product/process something my painting guys will be able to do with some guidance? Or will I end up doing it myself while sleeping on the floor of the rehab for a week, eating microwave meals and drinking reheated 7/11 coffee? What's a holiday season without an out-of-town rehab?

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    13y

    I used the product that Lowes sells (not sure if it was Rustoleum) recently on a rehab that I didnt want to replace the cabinets. I used the product myself and did all the work so I would be familiar with the product. I loved it. The product I used had a glaze you could use to create darker grains which turned out great. I did use a lighter color that the picture from above. The cabinets above turned out great IMO. I am having someone else use it on another project in a week or so. At the very least for the time and cost it makes your house just a bit sharper than the others for sale in the area.

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe a good painter should be able to do it IMO. It is the drying time between coats that takes so much time. The cabinets I did needed a lot of wood putty and sanding and still turned out great. If they need a lot of prep that is where problems could arise unless you are very specific with the painter.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Looks really nice, Gary.

    Gary's cabinets picture, linked: http://tinypic.com/r/23jnmc/6

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @K. Marie Poe I used the espresso color. I did it myself (and it was basically as you described - there is a lot of time waiting for stuff to dry). Your paint crew could probably do it (it is very straight forward as there is no sanding and nominal prep). It certainly wouldn't really be any faster to have the painters do it, because like I mentioned, most of the time is waiting for it to dry. The actually painting/varnishing is pretty fast. You could probably knock it out in 3-4 days. I am finishing up a kitchen using the 'meadow' color right now, which I am really liking - will post pictures when I'm done in a couple days.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Scott Fey Thanks for your reply. The kitchen in question has more than twice the cabinets in your picture. Not replacing the kitchen cabinets makes sense if I can get a great look for some inexpensive product and labor in a $150K house. Both bath vanities and the hall linen/utility closet cupboards are all the same oak. The cost of a new vanity at $250 compared to $65 in product, new hinges, knobs, and many hours on the site......new is looking better everyday.

    Can I ask what you did with the interiors of the cabinets? Does the new finish stop at the after the lip of the frame? Do you do anything to the interior cab walls and shelves?

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe Yes, I stopped after the lip of the frame. Make sure you tape off the inside edges of the cabinet & shelves, as this will allow you to work a LOT faster and avoid errant brush marks. I left the insides of the cabinet boxes and shelves untouched - it looks normal and I wouldn't expect the insides of the boxes to be painted. Also, I did replace all the hardware with chrome fixtures, which helps a TON. I am stopping by the place i am working on the cabinets today, so I can take some "in-process" pictures.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    13y

    Here are a couple of our flips painted. Our good spray guy does these in about 2 hours, 1 for primer coat and 1 for finish, on consecutive days. Inside, outside, shelves, drawers, doors, everything. We take the doors down and the hardware off to get a better job. Use a tip with the finest possible spray pattern. Try Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, it's a latex enamel but is self leveling and dries very hard like oil paing.

    One hour to rehang doors and add hardware. With the newer cabinets, you should have almost no prep work.

    http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0515.jpg

    http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/listing071.jpg

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    13y

    Chris Calabrese The cabinets look great. I have in the past just painted cabinets that needed quite a bit of prep work; however, I am now seeing the benefit of painting cabinets that are already in good shape. They look very clean, fresh and new.

  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    13y

    Any before pics Chris?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Scott Fey:
    It is a paint product - how else would you get rid of the oak look? I used it on this kitchen that had your standard golden oak cabinets (i can't find my before pics right now). I like it because some of the grain still comes through, so you know it real wood.

    After pic: http://tinypic.com/r/23jnmc/6

    Scott Fey Looks great. How durable do you think they are? In other words, do you think they'd stand up well in a rental? Or is this mainly for fixing it up prior to selling?

    I really like the looks of what you did, and the relative ease compared to sanding/stripping them down and re-staining them. However, I'd hate to do it in a rental if I'm going to have to redo them every time a tenant moves out.

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Kyle J. So far, no good re: durability. I have had them in there for a year, and when the last tenant moved out, the cabinets looked to be in great shape (same as the day I finished them). I can't speak to the durability beyond that, but am hoping for at least a good 5-7 years out of them, but only time will tell. I am just finishing up another rental unit where I painted the cabinets (this time a much lighter color...risky), so will see how that goes.

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Also, I found the before pic for the cabinets:

    http://tinypic.com/r/25644gn/6

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Scott Fey:
    Kyle J. So far, no good re: durability. I have had them in there for a year, and when the last tenant moved out, the cabinets looked to be in great shape (same as the day I finished them). I can't speak to the durability beyond that, but am hoping for at least a good 5-7 years out of them, but only time will tell. I am just finishing up another rental unit where I painted the cabinets (this time a much lighter color...risky), so will see how that goes.

    Did you mean to say "so far, no good" or "so far, so good"? I'm confused. LOL

  • Condo Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Oops - yes, so far, so good :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.