Developer · Hamptons / Montauk, NY · Member since 2014 · 58 posts · 20 votes
6y
@Breelon Bryant they are usually pretty far off of market value. Even if it’s a recent assessment. As for Zillow, don’t trust the Zestimate either. There are some sub maker keys and areas where it’s pretty close, say in relatively homogenous neighborhoods with lots of data points available, but in general there are far too many local market nuances and recent trends that the algorithm doesn’t capture. Sure use it as a directional clue, but find comps yourself and build your own estimate, or work with an agent you trust.
Rental Property Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2020 · 156 posts · 41 votes
6y
@Dan LaFontaine yea I knew that I needed to get an ARV but I was just looking at the taxes while analyzing this deal and thought about how off was it compared to a real ARV.
If its that far off from a real appraisal, whats the reason they post it on the tax assessment of a property?