Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 33 votes
Hi BP!
I just finished redoing all the flooring in my house, as I am quarantined and bored out of my mind. I’m thinking I should just paint the cabinets too. I can’t afford new ones so painting is the next best solution. I’ll post some pics as they are a weird material. Any advice on how to prep or what colors / paint types would be much appreciated :)
Rental Property Investor · Charlotte · Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 34 votes
6y
@Adam Sharp That's awesome, I'll have to check out solid surface countertops. I like durability for sure! I'm wondering if Home Depot or Lowes will have some sales with Memorial Day around the corner! Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing some pictures when you're done.
I used the crown kitchen makeover paint on mine by using a paint sprayer (find out more on sprayers by link https://indoor2outdoor.com/best-paint-sprayers-for-cabinets/). Wasn't a huge choice of colour but they had one to suit me. I finished off with a coat of clear matt varnish for protection. It gave my kitchen a new lease of life which will last a couple of years till we can upgrade.
I've worked with exactly the same cabinets. If I were you, I would buy new doors and drawer fronts. You can measure and buy them online, and then spend a day or two installing them with just a screwdriver. All you need to do is a search on "online cabinet doors" and you'll find supplier after supplier. The hinges you see on them are standard concealed Euro hinges, with large flat 35 mm holes drilled in the doors to accommodate them. Online door places will typically offer the service of drilling these holes and screw holes for you, and you should take it. This will allow you to install Euro hinges with just a screwdriver.
Your new doors should have handles. There's a precision woodworking jig you can buy to help you drill holes very accurately in the new doors to make the handles line up perfectly on a row of cabinets. Google "handle jig cabinet door" and you'll find it. The same jig can be used for drawer pulls.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
It is crazy how popular those cabinets were in the 80s. In the opposite side of the country here in CT these are in a ton of condo complexes that were built back then.
It is crazy how popular those cabinets were in the 80s. In the opposite side of the country here in CT these are in a ton of condo complexes that were built back then.
I remember a friend tearing out about 20 old distressed Burgundy Cherrywood kitchen cabinets to install those same Melamine cabinets back in '87. I grabbed the Cherrywood & immediately installed them in one of my nicer rentals, I even had enough to dress out the basement laundry room. In 2008 I sold that rental & the new owners were also going to toss the cherrywood for the NEW white shaker MDF crap. I was tempted to grab them AGAIN as they had NOT aged & were immaculate, but his contractor got them instead.