I hate window screens--what do you think is the worst things in a remodel?

I hate window screens--what do you think is the worst things in a remodel?

Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 17 votes

I hate replacing window screens.

I can't buy them pre-made, as windows are all shapes and sizes. Custom making them from Home Depot kits is both costly and a time sucking pain-in-the-@ss. After all is said and done, they add zero to the visual appeal of a property.

What re-hab item do you dislike the most when remodeling for a rental or a flip?

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Brass (or gold colored) door handles and bathroom fixtures. I always prefer silver or Chrome. The brass looks like it goes great with lacquer furniture.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Brass (or gold colored) door handles and bathroom fixtures. I always prefer silver or Chrome. The brass looks like it goes great with lacquer furniture.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Erik Kubec Try to find a small window company and see how much they charge to make screens. The one that I use makes screens for $20-25, materials and labor. They make them on site. I asked them how they do it so cheap. They said they buy the materials in bulk. For example, the buy the side frame pieces by the mile and the little parts that hold the frame in are purchased 50,000 at a time.

    I can't buy just the materials for what they charge for materials AND labor.

    I agree that screens are a nightmare.

    My biggest things I remove for rentals are garbage disposals and ceiling fans. I don't care if they're brand new, they come right out.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Wallpaper! To me, there is nothing worse than wallpaper, especially layers upon layers. Removing it is simply torture for me, which is why I have removed myself from that task, I feel like I added 10 years onto my life by making that decision.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I also HATE wallpaper.

    I hate anything gold-colored but live with it for rentals because I don't live there.

    I have never removed a ceiling fan from a rental.

    I also hate the area under the sink.

    Regarding window screens, just get those adjustable ones from Home Depot. They cost $10 or less and are resizable.

  • Greentown, IN · Member since 2012 · 140 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    Unexpected subfloor saturated with cat urine .. Gross!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Just got screens ordered thru Home Depot. New, perfect, $23, 10days, easy. Hated replacing the A/C handler the thieves stole.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.