Purchased new home- scammer listed house for rent

Purchased new home- scammer listed house for rent

Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes

I was made aware today that someone has listed one of our new purchases for rent on apartments.com and is asking for low rent but higher deposit.

I inquired to see and got a sob story about sick parents and that they don’t want to sell there home so they decided to rent it. (I own the home and met with previous owners)

Anyways looks like they are trying to scam people out of a deposit and first months rent.

Can I report them somewhere before I give them a call? I have already flagged it with apartments.com and they said it can’t from sparks rentals

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Will FraserPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

Hey @Andrey Gorokhovskiy, this is a bummer and is becoming an all-too-common scam.  The same thing has happened with several listings I've had recently.

I think that the most relevant person to notify would be the police, at least the cyber crimes part of the police department.  I generally assume that there is someone more appropriate, but there wouldn't be a regulating authority over the scammer other than the police, so I'd start there.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Hey @Andrey Gorokhovskiy, this is a bummer and is becoming an all-too-common scam.  The same thing has happened with several listings I've had recently.

    I think that the most relevant person to notify would be the police, at least the cyber crimes part of the police department.  I generally assume that there is someone more appropriate, but there wouldn't be a regulating authority over the scammer other than the police, so I'd start there.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Are you planning on renting it or living there?  Post an ad simply stating that the other ad is a scam and that you own the house.  If you plan on renting it, put a note in the ad that scammers have posted another ad and they can look at the house, but under no circumstances should they ever send money until after they viewed the property with the owner.

  • Investor · West Chester , PA · Member since 2011 · 620 posts · 138 votes
    5y

    It happened with me and it was CL contacted him he never responded and deleted the Ad surprisingly he was put an Ad as REA.  He was my old listing pics for Ad

  • Rental Property Investor · Arvada, CO · Member since 2011 · 146 posts · 103 votes
    5y

    Hi @Andrey Gorokhovskiy,

    Has it been removed from Apartments yet? If not, I know people and can help you get it removed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Lucas Hall yes it was thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Theresa Harris I have it as a air bnb not it’s not posted for rent

  • Rental Property Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Will Fraser that’s what I was thinking too. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.