Are dishwashers all standard sizes or do they vary?

Are dishwashers all standard sizes or do they vary?

Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes

I have rental that may need a new dishwasher soon. Do I need to go to he property and measure the size before shopping or are they mostly a standard width?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a good deal on a new dishwasher in the dfw area?

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

One thing you need to look at with dishwashers is if the floor has been built up. Sometimes, several layers of flooring have been installed after the dishwasher and you now have a nightmare. There is a brand of dishwasher (can't remember which one) that sits up a little higher and has longer adjustable legs on the bottom for just this problem.

I once had to replace a dishwasher in a house that had custom tile counters and a built up tile floor. There was no way to get the old dishwasher out. There was a pantry next to the dishwasher that I had to take out, prop up the corner of the counter, and then slide the dishwasher out sideways. It was not a fun job.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Bill:

    Mostly 18" (apartment size) or 24" (domestic). If you are looking higher end or commercial, you will find larger ones.

  • Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes
    13y

    thanks Roy. I think I have a 24".

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    The 24inch units are actually less expensive and more readily available; there are fewer manufacturers for 18inch, and those are not always in stock at dealers. And if you saw how small the interior space is in the typical 18inch unit, you'd wonder why even bother ... except maybe to say it has a dishwasher.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    One thing you need to look at with dishwashers is if the floor has been built up. Sometimes, several layers of flooring have been installed after the dishwasher and you now have a nightmare. There is a brand of dishwasher (can't remember which one) that sits up a little higher and has longer adjustable legs on the bottom for just this problem.

    I once had to replace a dishwasher in a house that had custom tile counters and a built up tile floor. There was no way to get the old dishwasher out. There was a pantry next to the dishwasher that I had to take out, prop up the corner of the counter, and then slide the dishwasher out sideways. It was not a fun job.

  • Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes
    13y

    wow that's something I have never thought about. Luckily the kitchen only has a single layer of faux wood grain vinyl plank on the concrete foundation. That's something to be aware of though if I ever decide to install tile.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    It's definitely a good idea to get the measurements before you buy. Depending on the type of dishwasher you're looking for, some used appliance shops carry some decent inventory and even offer a warranty with their purchases. Hope that helps!

    p.s. Also good to have an appliance repair person on hand just in case, it's really helped me in the past!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rachel H.:

    p.s. Also good to have an appliance repair person on hand just in case, it's really helped me in the past!

    then why would he even bother installing it?

  • Virtual Assistant · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 51 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Based on personal experience, what I did was to first measure the space where I plan to install the dishwasher. Then, I have to consider how many kitchen and eating utensils do I currently have cause it will also affect how the dishwasher will clean such utensils.

    Other than the sizes, you also have to consider checking the capacity, features, plumbing and some sound proof mechanisms of the model of dishwasher you are going to buy.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    One thing you need to look at with dishwashers is if the floor has been built up. Sometimes, several layers of flooring have been installed after the dishwasher and you now have a nightmare. There is a brand of dishwasher (can't remember which one) that sits up a little higher and has longer adjustable legs on the bottom for just this problem.

    I once had to replace a dishwasher in a house that had custom tile counters and a built up tile floor. There was no way to get the old dishwasher out. There was a pantry next to the dishwasher that I had to take out, prop up the corner of the counter, and then slide the dishwasher out sideways. It was not a fun job.

    I second checking the floor build up. I replaced one this year where we had to cut the old dishwasher in half with a sawsall to get it out. A plywood subfloor and vinyl planking had been recently installed making the floor about an 1" too too high at the opening. In order to get the new dishwasher in, I had a handyman remove the front wooden lip of a tile counter, and plane the wood underneath the tile in order to make just enough room, and then reinstall the lip.

    Also pay attention to drawer and cupboard door clearance if the dishwasher is in a corner. Some of the new models have protruding handles (oven and refrigerator style). They won't work in a corner near opening drawers and cupboards. Ask me how I know.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.