"Accidental House Flipper" seeking advice about selling house

"Accidental House Flipper" seeking advice about selling house

New to Real Estate · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes

Good morning!  Although I've been listening to BP podcasts for about six months, this is my first time to venture into the forums.

I identify as a Real Estate Rookie and Accidental House Flipper.  My husband Chris and I purchased a 3000 sq ft brick house on an acre as a primary residence in April 2014.  It was a foreclosure, and the price had just dropped to $69,000 when we found it.  We offered $40K, the bank negotiated us to $52K, but we returned to our $40K offer after the inspection came back.  (I actually wanted to run away, but Chris felt confident about tackling it.)  They accepted our offer within an hour.  

Chris rehabbed it all summer to make the place habitable for us, and we began occupying in November 2014.  We had a brand new kitchen but had to close off the living room and master suite until we had the time and money to tackle those, and we just prayed our kids wouldn't fall through the floor while bathing.  It was pretty rough!  We basically did one big project annually, so now we have a pretty nice house with nearly new everything in the past six years.

My husband accepted a ministry position in Sept 2019 in a city about an hour and fifteen minutes away.  We've driven back and forth there for over a year to attend church and events 2-3 times weekly.  We finally purchased a home in that city in October 2020.  The kids and I live in the new house full time, and my husband is still working and living in the "old" city as he finishes projects at the house and wraps up his job until Feb. 26.  He still comes to the "new" house on weekends and occasionally a week night here and there, and we're eager to get fully transitioned.

We haven't listed the old house yet as we are still wrapping projects, but a guy called me last week about it.  He'd heard from someone that we'd be selling soon and is interested in purchasing a larger home.  I sort of feel that he expected us to be ignorant about real estate because of our lack of experience (and was unpleasantly surprised that we ended up being a little knowledgeable about the market), but I got the vibe from him that he was really trying to score a deal at the expense of our ignorance.

He called on Thursday and I agreed to show the house on Saturday.  We whipped it into shape as best we could and walked this couple through.  They were visibly stunned by Chris's work and clearly want the place badly.  They sat at the table with us and made an offer on the spot:  $150,000 as is (several projects including gutted master bath are still in progress, and he said he can manage those).  The kicker is... they have no financing!  He said he'd give us $15K, take over our note, and pay out the rest later.  He threw around a bunch of numbers and gave a really shady vibe.  We said no thanks and stood up.  We told them to check with a lender and get back with us if it works out.  (We aren't in a position to owner finance and really need the capital to put onto our new mortgage and pay off some bills.)

Even though the guy seemed a little shady, I'm glad for that experience for several reasons:  it really got our momentum up (my husband and son quickly completed some smaller projects and I deep cleaned in preparation of that showing), and it gave us confidence about our home's value.  We had initially hoped to sell it (even with all projects completed) for at least $150K.  Now the market has exploded here though, and we can do better.  The cheapest listing in our city with 3000 sq ft and an acre now is $425K.  There is no inventory at all for houses this size in the $150-250K range.

Our Zillow photos and description are not up to date, but I don't mind sharing the info now in case anyone wants to look.  The address is 29 23rd St SE, Moultrie, GA.  We are planning to list with an agent in early March once we finish our projects, and I have a real estate photographer lined up to take good photos.  I'll run over there in the next few days though and try to take some updated photos with my phone for those who want to offer input.

I'd love advice about staging, listing, marketing, and anything else a trained eye spots that we should address.  We would love to do another transaction in our new city as we have opportunity.  My husband has learned so much about rehab from our home (he's also owned a painting business for almost ten years) that he wants to work as a remodeling contractor in the new city "on the side" (he's a pastor, too).

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and interact with me!

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
5y

Hey Kristin, well done on adding some sweat equity into what's now a beautiful home. It sounds like you are wanting to list it for sale by owner? Otherwise a solid Realtor would take care of photos, listing, marketing, etc. I would highly recommend having it fully remodeled before selling it, a gutted or unfinished bedroom or bathroom will definitely ding the value and reduce the number of potential buyers. (I personally look for projects and opportunities to add value in every purchase, but that is not everybody). 

Forrest Faulconer

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    5y

    Hey Kristin, well done on adding some sweat equity into what's now a beautiful home. It sounds like you are wanting to list it for sale by owner? Otherwise a solid Realtor would take care of photos, listing, marketing, etc. I would highly recommend having it fully remodeled before selling it, a gutted or unfinished bedroom or bathroom will definitely ding the value and reduce the number of potential buyers. (I personally look for projects and opportunities to add value in every purchase, but that is not everybody). 

    Forrest Faulconer

  • New to Real Estate · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thanks for responding, Forrest. We do actually plan to list with a realtor in early March after we finish all the projects. I’m not very impressed with the photos on this realtor’s listings, so that’s why I’ve decided to bring in my own photographer, who happens to be a talented friend.   Hopefully the realtor will diligently market our home as well, but I have a feeling the house will just get snatched up because of the market in our area. My goal is to stage and present it as well as I can in order to get top dollar. My hubby’s list is so long right now 😬😅, but hopefully he can get to everything in the allotted timeline! 

  • New to Real Estate · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Someone reached out privately to ask more questions about when we bought our house, so I thought I'd post my response here, too, in case anyone else has questions about those details:

    Hi, xxxxxx! Thanks for taking the time to read my story and reach out. We actually had a realtor friend that knew we were looking for inexpensive housing for our family at that time, and she alerted us to this house while Chris was doing some work on her house. We were a young (but large!) pastor's family living in church-owned housing at the time but wanted to buy our own place. Our six kids were then ages 1-9, and I homeschooled them, so our budget was extremely tight.

    That being said, we had saved a lot of money by living frugally and didn't have any debt or many bills of any kind. I don't even think we had cell phones at the time. So when we found this unfinanceable dump, we were able to pay cash with my dad's help and get started on the reno. (A bank wouldn't have loaned on it because of its condition.) The realtor walked us through the process. Since we didn't need financing, that saved us a lot of time as well as closing costs, and we were able to close pretty quickly. I didn't know much of anything back then, but we really lucked out at how everything turned out. (Being Christians, we give God the glory for the whole process and especially the outcome.) We learned SO much and now have momentum to intentionally flip more houses. As a bonus, I also now have four teens with some skills instead of a house full of toddlers!!

    I wish I could tell you all of our expenses off the top of my head, but I didn't begin tracking them until we were a couple of years in. I do plan to sit down with Chris and estimate that so we can tell this 'exciting' story a little more accurately. I'll keep you posted!

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    5y

    For staging, I tell my clients to make it as much like a contemporary, upscale hotel as possible.  If those are your current pics, it looks like you have the idea.  

    For some of my clients, I buy them a professional stager consult.  It's like $200 for the consult only.  You probably don't need that. 

    My advice is to make sure you or your Realtor get GOOD professional photos.  If they don't have a good contact, look at the listings with the best photos you like and ask the listing agent for their photographer.  I now also use Matterport 3d and drone shots on ALL my listings.  My goal is to have it sold before the buyer walks into the property.  Light and bright!  I can send you some examples if you'd like -- I don't want to violate any rules about posting my own listings!

    Good Luck!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Kristin McPherson, good luck on the sale.  My wife and I stage every house we sell, and it goes a long way, particularly if you have any "odd" spaces that are hard to define on their own, i.e. a very small bedroom or random nook somewhere.

    As Forrest mentioned, you will get top dollar with a finished house.  Based on the limited information, have you considered finishing the house completely before listing?  It sounds like you have a lot of equity if you can sell as a finished, livable house.  Cosmetic upgrades only seem to take minimal value from a house these days, but if there are major structural or mechanical issues, you will likely take a bigger hit on the price you can sell for.

    Regarding the photos, of course stage first before photos. Photos should be taken at sunrise or sunset to get the best light, or on an overcast day so there is not harsh light flooding the windows.  Your photographer should know these things.

    Marketing for most agents means listing on MLS and setting the price. I would make sure your agent has her listing set to push into Zillow. Some MLS systems have a way to not share (and many realtors don't like Zillow, even though that's where buyers are). I am a firm believer that market will drive price, and competition will drive it up. So my wife and I will price our flips on the low side of fair. You want a buzz around your house and let the piled up showings drive up the price. If you start aggressively high, it will sit and you will start with the price cuts. With each day on market and price cut, buyers will start thinking there is something wrong with the property and you get into an issue of people assuming there are issues with the property.

    Best of luck with sale.  

  • Robert E BoginoPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Nice job on the work, looks good!

  • New to Real Estate · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Dan, thanks for the feedback.  Most of these are more recent pics that I've uploaded to Zillow, at least in the past few months.  I don't have exterior photos yet because it's still a construction zone.  But I have removed the bulk of our personal belongings and just left what is needed for staging, so I think that to the best of our ability we have staged that way.  I really appreciate your advice about photography timing.  I wasn't aware of that.  Our photographer does amazing work, so hopefully she'll be knowledgeable, but I should let her know that the back of the house gets beautiful morning sun and the living room looks really dark except for a couple of afternoon hours.  We might need to think about splitting her time into two sessions.  Hmmm....

    Evan, we do plan to finish everything before listing.  Your post prompted a few ideas about staging some of the weird nooks, so thank you.  I do feel a lot more confident after our "practice showing" over the weekend, even though we still have a lot of work to do.  The market is definitely in our favor right now!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.