Amazing deal offered .But should I hold ?

Amazing deal offered .But should I hold ?

Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 2 votes

So I purchased a home pre covid that was going to be a full rehab . Purchase price of 68k. Rehab costs 50k. Let’s call it 130k all in. 

Just received an offer on my home for 260k. That’s 130k profit . Without including capital gains ... currently I’ve had it as an air bnb bringing in roughly 2k a month . 

My question is , so I take the money and hunt for something it this crazy market or atleast hold for another year?? 

The money would be nice as my main job was working on the house . But I’m worried about taxes !!

1Reply
19 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Jim Halpert

    What was your long term goal going in? If it was to flip I would sell it, if you were looking at building cashflow, then might be worth holding on. Each person has a different position in life and investing. Some need money yesterday, and some are willing to wait a decade. 

    In my opinion if you cant find something to bring in 2k with the gains from that property with equal work it wouldn't be worth selling. 

    Hope that helps

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    My long term goal was to build enough capital to purchase an income producing property without borrowing any money !


    this 130k is a start . Just need to do this for a few more years. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Jim Halpert then I think you answered it, sell it and roll that to the next investment.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim Halpert:

    So I purchased a home pre covid that was going to be a full rehab . Purchase price of 68k. Rehab costs 50k. Let’s call it 130k all in. 

    Just received an offer on my home for 260k. That’s 130k profit . Without including capital gains ... currently I’ve had it as an air bnb bringing in roughly 2k a month . 

    My question is , so I take the money and hunt for something it this crazy market or atleast hold for another year?? 

    The money would be nice as my main job was working on the house . But I’m worried about taxes !!

    You had it over a year correct, so wouldn’t that only be 10% minutes income tax for capital gains?


    if you have some place to invest I would sell if not fix and sell or just keep air bnb  

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    The long term capital gains is going to be 15%. I’m hoping a can reduce it with deductions 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.