Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 423 posts · 190 votes
IF you do rehabs, how many HOURS do you OR YOUR CONTRACTOR typically spend at Home Depot, Lowes, your favorite building material supplier, etc etc?
Answer can be broken down into:
1. When project first starts OR after a milestone
VS
2. Special runs ("I need to get more 1/4" drywall screws because (I forgot them, underestimated how many were needed, etc etc)")
I'm sure #2 is a common sense answer... but if I made the question broad/unspecific, I'm sure I would have received an answer along the lines of "well, it depends"
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
5y
I never go myself and only work with contractors who have runners so they don't send one of the crew to get more cement and take an hour away from the job. The biggest delay on a job is all the pickups they have to do so I would encourage any investor who is flipping to hire a runner so the actual workers are never driving 20 minutes each way for some grout.
I never go myself and only work with contractors who have runners so they don't send one of the crew to get more cement and take an hour away from the job. The biggest delay on a job is all the pickups they have to do so I would encourage any investor who is flipping to hire a runner so the actual workers are never driving 20 minutes each way for some grout.
That's fine as long as they're just getting numbnuts stuff. But invariably on a project you will need stuff that only someone knowledgeable can go find....
Banker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 143 votes
5y
Way too many hours! I'm sure that we could cut down on those hours if I prioritize planning my trips out vs other activities but it is what it is for me. Thankful for being in the midwest with Menards 11% rebates every other week helps save on costs too!
Real Estate Agent · Mohawk Valley, NY · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 18 votes
5y
I used to spend way too much time. Now I do the same as another poster said and order on the app (actually, I dont even do that anymore, I just text my Lowes for Pros guy what I need directly) and they have it waiting at the Pro Desk, already paid for with the card associated with the Pro account. When my guys go in to shop they can also put it on my account because they're signed up as authorized users. Convenient! Usually they load it up with me too! I used to hate Lowe's. Now, not so much.
Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
5y
Start the day at home depot. Everyone makes a list for the next morning run.
All projects start with a massive order delivered to site. This way i can piggyback the bid room of the initial purchase. Generally each project has 2 large orders: 1st one covers mechanicals, roofing,framing and drywall/trim (delivered after demo us complete). 2nd one covers paint, cabinetry finish fixtures, etc...
The home depot app sucks for finding plumbing fitting, electrical items, etc... I'll spend more time on the app than in store. Plus i like to keep a watchful eye on that clearance stuff.
Real Estate Investor · Matthews, NC · Member since 2017 · 219 posts · 173 votes
5y
OMG I thought it was just me. My son does most of it but I help out when he gets stuck. He does most of it on-line. But it still takes time. And lets face it, if you order 20 2x4s, they take the 20 on top. So be ready to have a few that need to go back. Even if you are very organized its going to take up a lot of time just before the job kicks off and then I plan on several hours for me as the job goes on. and as @Bruce Woodruff said if its simple stuff like a bag of concrete send the youngest kid on the job. But if some judgement is needed or its a something that the prospective buyer will see then you're better off to just get up early and get it yourself. You can take the opportunity to pass out cards to other contractor and get theirs at the same time.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
5y
I use to live at Home Depot. It was a great help and advantage when I became a managed account and have my own rep. Most all orders are placed on line or via email. I simply send a list to my contact and she gets the bid, places the order and sends me a text for payment authorization. DONE! Every minute you waste at Home Depot is a minute you could have spent finding your next deal, finding more private money, finding another sub, finding another agent contact, or any other task at or above your pay grade.
My friend J Scott has said time and again to ensure that you spend your time on things or tasks that meet your skill level and pay grade. It is cheaper for you in the long term to pay for a $95 delivery fee for a $2 part at Home Depot instead of you heading there your self taking away valuable time you could have used doing something more useful. While that may be a slight exaggeration, it is not too far off and as hard as it was to switch to this way of thinking (I have always been a doer and one that feels if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself), it is a worth while physical and mindset transition for your business (if a business is what you are running and not a hobby).
1. Your first order should cover a vast majority of the rough products you will need on a heavy flip and possibly even the finish items too. The more you order, the better your chances of larger discounts at bid desk.
2. If you ever underestimate the amount of drywall screws you need, it should never be you going to get them. My sub who hangs the drywall is responsible for that, not me. For other items you will be using time and again, buy in bulk and keep extras available in your vehicle, in your storage or on site and avoid these mishaps. The longer you do this, the more organized you will get.
I use to live at Home Depot. It was a great help and advantage when I became a managed account and have my own rep. Most all orders are placed on line or via email. I simply send a list to my contact and she gets the bid, places the order and sends me a text for payment authorization. DONE! Every minute you waste at Home Depot is a minute you could have spent finding your next deal, finding more private money, finding another sub, finding another agent contact, or any other task at or above your pay grade.
My friend J Scott has said time and again to ensure that you spend your time on things or tasks that meet your skill level and pay grade. It is cheaper for you in the long term to pay for a $95 delivery fee for a $2 part at Home Depot instead of you heading there your self taking away valuable time you could have used doing something more useful. While that may be a slight exaggeration, it is not too far off and as hard as it was to switch to this way of thinking (I have always been a doer and one that feels if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself), it is a worth while physical and mindset transition for your business (if a business is what you are running and not a hobby).
1. Your first order should cover a vast majority of the rough products you will need on a heavy flip and possibly even the finish items too. The more you order, the better your chances of larger discounts at bid desk.
2. If you ever underestimate the amount of drywall screws you need, it should never be you going to get them. My sub who hangs the drywall is responsible for that, not me. For other items you will be using time and again, buy in bulk and keep extras available in your vehicle, in your storage or on site and avoid these mishaps. The longer you do this, the more organized you will get.
The nearest big box store is over an hour away, and a place like Medard's or Home Depot is almost 3 hours away. I order a lot of stuff online and pick it up weekly. I usually have extras of lots of stuff in my warehouse. Spare doors, water heater, lots of extra faucets, supply lines shark bite valves for bathroom or kitchen sinks, saw blades, paint brushes, rollers, even paint. We do have a local hardware store for items as well that we use a lot. I am mostly buy and hold not flip though. So I spend about 2 hours a week at the store and 2 hours online. I have started having an assistant do my online ordering using a list. I then review the list and make sure its accurate. That saves a lot of time. I have things like baseboard trim delivered by a local lumberyard.
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 431 posts · 281 votes
5y
When I supervise, I often do the gofer work, because my guys are way faster than I am doing the work and I WILL get what they need the first time. When I got to HD or Lowes 3x in one day, I can count on my Google ads changing to Spanish, however, so that should give you an idea of whether it's normal or not. lolololol.
OMG I thought it was just me. My son does most of it but I help out when he gets stuck. He does most of it on-line. But it still takes time. And lets face it, if you order 20 2x4s, they take the 20 on top. So be ready to have a few that need to go back. Even if you are very organized its going to take up a lot of time just before the job kicks off and then I plan on several hours for me as the job goes on. and as @Bruce Woodruff said if its simple stuff like a bag of concrete send the youngest kid on the job. But if some judgement is needed or its a something that the prospective buyer will see then you're better off to just get up early and get it yourself. You can take the opportunity to pass out cards to other contractor and get theirs at the same time.
Getting through my customer service line to pick up orders takes longer than pulling it myself at my local ones. :((((
Usually 1 hour a day when I have a project going. My record is four times in one day...
not bragging, that's just poor project control..., But in my defense, I did have five huge projects going spread over a hundred miles....
Eh. Sometimes in the middle of a demo, you keep finding stuff that needs to be repaired. Four is probably my record, too, but it wasn't because of a screwup.
IF you do rehabs, how many hours do you typically spend at Home Depot, Lowes, your favorite building material supplier, etc etc?
Answer can be broken down into:
1. When project first starts
VS
2. Special runs ("I need to get more 1/4" drywall screws because (I forgot them, underestimated how many were needed, etc etc)")
Too Many..... I have started having my contractor make the runs and realize he goes 2 x times a day...
Hmm. On a TYPICAL day, I'd expect one run before the day begins, and that's it, with extra runs being rare. The first run of the project or the project phase would be the big one. After that, it would be smaller, usually, unless you didn't have the space for certain things. He might go out to eat every day (some do) and run by for little stuff that makes the rest of the day easier then. I wouldn't be happy if he interrupts his work to go by routinely every day.
I make a list during the day for the stuff I need the next day. I very rarely interrupt my own work to get it.
The bigger the group of guys, the more runs (when rehabbing, not when doing something like roofing or siding or gutters--those guys shouldn't be doing ANY runs), and it's usually the most junior person who makes them. When I do runs during the day, it's to speed up work.
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
I typically stop at Home Depot on the way to our work site and fill my list and sometimes on the way home as well. (getting stuff for the next day). We do all our own rehabs so if we get stopped by not having something we'll work on something else. There's ALWAYS something else to work on...