Obtaining Real estate license

Obtaining Real estate license

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting my license in KY. Can anyone recommend me to the best places to take the Pre-license classes? After getting a license, what enables me to access the MLS and get the hot sheets etc? Is that membership dues in GLAR or is it through the broker that I go with?

Thanks

Jay   

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 19 votes
9y

Hey James, 

I'm a real estate agent here in Louisville and was license earlier this year. I went through an online program based out of Florida, Cooke Real Estate School, because they were cheap and I could blow through the material at my own pace. They gave me the information I needed and helped me meet the requirements to take the state exam. When it came time to study for the test, I ordered a book off Amazon that is published by the company that proctors the KY state exam. Basically, the book walks you through passing the test and guarantees that you'll pass your first try if you do as they say. And that's how I got my license. 

That being said, to access MLS in Louisville Ky, you'll have to jump through some hoops. First, once licensed you have 60 days to affiliate with a broker (If you don't know who you want to affiliate with, immediately place your license in escrow. This stops the continuing education clock from starting to tick). If that broker is a member of GLAR, you'll also have to join GLAR. And that's how you'll get your access to the MLS and everything. If the broker is not a member, you won't have to join either. I don't know any brokers that aren't a member of GLAR, so I don't have anyone to recommend.

I'd like to make sure that you know that as a real estate agent, you'll be required to hold E&O (erros and omissions) insurance as well as pay fees to your broker (there are low to no cost brokerages available, but again, beyond my knowledge base), the state board, and probably GLAR. You also have to complete 48 hours of formal training to maintain your license within the first two years. KY also has a yearly license cycle, so you'll have to pay to keep your license every year.

I hope this answers your question! 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2016 · 236 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    What you do is call each real-estate school and ask for the "pass rate" for the state exam. Choose the one with the highest pass-rate since it's the easiest.

    You will be able to get MLS access after you sign on to your local board of realtors. You will have to pay fees to both your broker and the local board of realtors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Hey James, 

    I'm a real estate agent here in Louisville and was license earlier this year. I went through an online program based out of Florida, Cooke Real Estate School, because they were cheap and I could blow through the material at my own pace. They gave me the information I needed and helped me meet the requirements to take the state exam. When it came time to study for the test, I ordered a book off Amazon that is published by the company that proctors the KY state exam. Basically, the book walks you through passing the test and guarantees that you'll pass your first try if you do as they say. And that's how I got my license. 

    That being said, to access MLS in Louisville Ky, you'll have to jump through some hoops. First, once licensed you have 60 days to affiliate with a broker (If you don't know who you want to affiliate with, immediately place your license in escrow. This stops the continuing education clock from starting to tick). If that broker is a member of GLAR, you'll also have to join GLAR. And that's how you'll get your access to the MLS and everything. If the broker is not a member, you won't have to join either. I don't know any brokers that aren't a member of GLAR, so I don't have anyone to recommend.

    I'd like to make sure that you know that as a real estate agent, you'll be required to hold E&O (erros and omissions) insurance as well as pay fees to your broker (there are low to no cost brokerages available, but again, beyond my knowledge base), the state board, and probably GLAR. You also have to complete 48 hours of formal training to maintain your license within the first two years. KY also has a yearly license cycle, so you'll have to pay to keep your license every year.

    I hope this answers your question! 

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Jared,

    Thanks for the info.   I will look up Cooke Real Estate School.   Any idea what the name of the book you purchased off Amazon?  After looking, it would appear to be the 2017 Kentucky PSI Exam Prep.     Who proctored your test after you completed the course before taking the state test?

    Thanks

  • Real Estate Broker · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @James Beam another online course you can try if you want to go quickly is greatwaytolearn.com I used them to get my sales license and to get my brokers license. I thought they provided a good course and good material. 

  • Sean WilliamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    Home Services Real Estate Academy HSREA.com is the best around! MLS access will be through GLAR (greater louisville association of realtors) and by paying their dues, however you will have to be affiliated with a broker in order to maintain an active license.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    @James Beam That's the book I used! I had my test proctored at University of Louisville, cost $25 and I'm not a student there. There are several sites availible, JCTC is also a good option. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2012 · 51 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    I second Jared's recommendation. I started with a local school but couldn't handle sitting through hours of class while the instructor basically read a book to us in monotone. Think clear eyes commercials, lol. I preferred the online option and went with Cooke. Finished everything and got my license a couple months ago.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2012 · 51 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    One thing to consider though if you are planning to get your license for your own investments, there is a pretty substantial cost. Joining Realtor to get MLS access is close to 1000 dollars a year which was higher then I expected. Wouldn't change my decision but something to be aware of.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all the replies.   I am looking to get a license for my own investments as well as for other investors that I know looking for properies.   I am going to be selling my home in the next couple of years and buying a new one which will be roughly $900,000 total.   The commission split on that will pay all my fees for years even if I do nothing else although I do not see that as being the case.  

  • Vine Grove, KY · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hello everyone I am a newbie interested in getting started in REI I live in vinegrove,ky I would like to start out with OPM as I don't have the funds or the credit to get a loan, if anyone would like to help me maybe partner up or something or connect me with some people to help.. also would it be better to just real estate invest like house flipping, whole sale, ect or is there any benefit to become a real estate agent other than the MLS.. pointing out to I would like to keep my full time job and do this stuff on the side.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Todd Thorton's online class is where I got my license. I am a realtor with Keller  Williams Louisville. KW as a whole just seems to be technology forward. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.