• Boulder, CO
Votes |
Getting Started: Obtaining Tapes

David Piqueira
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Posted Sep 24 2017, 18:21

Hello!

I'm just starting out in note investing and trying to figure out some of the basic first steps. I would like my first one to be a performing note on a 1st mortgage. This feels like a generally safe way to get my feet wet and learn about the process of purchasing a note. A lot of what I have been reading is pretty high level and talks about the general idea behind note investing, but finding anything specific has been kind of difficult. I'm guessing this is because note investing is not quite as cookie cutter as other types of real estate investing, and there just aren't as many people doing it.

As far as I can tell the first step is to contact the asset managers of different financial institutions and ask them to provide a tape listing the different notes they have for sale. Are there any guidelines as to which institutions to contact? I have read to stay away from larger banks because they are only really interested in dealing bundles of notes, not one-offs. Does location of the bank really matter? Or should I really just try to contact as many banks as possible, fire away emails, and take a look at what comes back. I'm getting a little bit wrapped around the axle trying to figure out if i should target specific banks or if i should just wholesale try to contact as many institutions as possible.

I'm also wondering how you feel about going through online websites to purchase notes (PPR, FCI Exchange) vs. obtaining tapes from financial institutions?

I look forward to learning more about note investing and become a more active member of this forum. Thanks for any replies! 

-Dave

Loading replies...